Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really, guys?

Default Really, guys?

I made it a point to stay away from here last night. Snap judgements are always comical and hyperbolic, even after big wins. I was fully prepared to let the anguish of more dropped passes and blown coverages pass so that we could get back to some sort of normal.

But 3-4 threads going on for a few pages about how Fritz is unfit to run the team? What the hell is wrong with you guys?!?!

This is the same coach Fritz who - if one play had gone different in Raleigh, Atlanta and Athens - would already have people clamoring for his own statue at Paulson. This is a guy whose offensive philosophy was questioned, only to make a seamless transition and go 9-3 in the team's first season in FBS. That's unheard of for teams that have a rock-solid core of coaches, upperclassmen and philosophy, much less a team going through a coaching change.

All of this talk is just embarrassment coming through. That game couldn't have gone worse, but every sport is full of one-off mysteries. If you can't take a deep breath and realize that this was just Georgia Southern's time to be on the wrong end of an upset, then the real problem is with arrogance and expectations that are too lofty. There is a difference between expecting to win every week and being able to keep your **** together and improve when the inevitable losses happen.

Get it together, everybody. We've got a bowl game to win in a couple of weeks.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Default Re: Really, guys?

Well said bro
    Once won an argument with half

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

I think folks have been fairly even-keeled on the Flight Line considering the scale of yesterday's debacle.

Fritz probably deserves more criticism than I'm seeing.

+100 for the OP.

When some of the same folks that were wanting to immediately boost pay for Fritz one week ago, now want to fire him, it says far more about unrealistic, knee-jerk fans, than anything about the team, coach, or long-term outlook for the future.

Give Fritz a couple of players that can throw and catch a football with just a bit more regularity than what we have had for several years, and he can take us where we need to go.

Go Eagles!

I've heard about three people actually calling for Fritz's head, and at least two of these are guys who haven't posted since Spring of 2014, when they were mad that we were not going to be running the flexbone.

I don't know how anybody could sit through the game yesterday and go out of their way to defend this staff or team.

GaSt just beat the spread by 50 points.

6. Default Re: Really, guys?

I too have read and waited to reply .
    I do not understand ? A loss hurts but this was a complete debacle ! 23,000+ show up ready to go , coaches and players on Senior day , do not ! The last time I remember our team being this out of it at home was the day before PJ was announced to go to Navy ? I keep waiting on the announcement , don't think it will happen ?
    I do not understand ! How can I have allowed myself to become so emotionally involved with something I have no control over ?
    We were out coached and seriously outplayed ! AT HOME !!!!!!!WHOSE HOUSE ?????? WE DID NOT PROTECT OUR HOUSE ! A house is just a building , in the future maybe we should change it up because "our house" has now been played !
    WHOSE HOME , OUR HOME !
    Coach Fritz has said the right things , hopefully now he understands and this never happens again !
    How could our seniors allow this to happen ? We had 23 of them , but you can't control the game from the sidelines and few started and many more never got into the game .
    Winning meaningful games and championships are normally the result of many Seniors playing meaningful minutes . I understand that , but I don't understand how getting destroyed by Georgia State at home has happened ?
    I do know this , we how have an instate rivalry !

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I don't know how anybody could sit through the game yesterday and go out of their way to defend this staff or team.

GaSt just beat the spread by 50 points.
    There's a difference between defending the team and standing behind them.

No one is saying that the debacle from yesterday is something that isn't concerning. But going overboard with the reaction is just as unhealthy as not caring at all about the result.

Look at it this way - we were handled almost as thoroughly against App. With that game, people were pissed and talked about the areas that needed to be improved to do better in the future. That's a perfectly healthy way to look at a letdown game (anger included).

Of course the GagSt game hurts more because they are nowhere near the caliber of program, but that can't be allowed to alter the reaction. College football is littered with schools who sabotage themselves because otherwise good teams/coaches are hung out to dry for losing to the WRONG team. I hope we go back up to Atlanta and prove just how much of a fluke Saturday was. But that's something to be worried about in 360 days or so.

Until then, it's time to circle the wagons and focus on what can get better instead of stewing in hurt pride and intentionally making ourselves feel worse.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Go take a look at the stats. I'm not over-reacting.

We got out-rushed at home by the #125 rushing offense.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Go take a look at the stats. I'm not over-reacting.

We got out-rushed at home by the #125 rushing offense.
    Like many of you, I waited until today to post. It is always interesting reading the posts right after a bad loss. Our fans' passions are matched only by maybe Alabama. All that early success created passion and unrealistic expectations. Fritz is a good coach but he ain't nick Saban. I doubt anyone hireds him away because his offense is pretty one dimensional and he is older than most programs would like. I do think he is good and good enough to be the gs coach for a long time given what we can afford. I am behind you coach but I would ask you to circle two games next year. App and gast. You can lay an egg against troy or s al but you better have the boys ready for those two games. When mark richt took the job at Uga he asked tony Barnhart what he needed to to to keep his job. Tony told him beat tech Florida and auburn more times than not and you will be ok. This year, despite a good season, we got absolutely embarrassed by our two biggest "rivals" and yes I am calling them a rival now. If we only win two games next year it better be app and gast. See you guys in mobile.

10. Default Re: Really, guys?

Yep, I felt worse about the loss this morning than I did last night. And that's saying a lot. To be manhandled 27-0 in the second half at Paulson was downright embarrassing. Our fans deserve to be upset. That was NOT Georgia Southern football. Obviously, we were looking past State to the GoDaddy Bowl. Yesterday was an eye opener.