SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to AP !

Default Re: Congrats to AP !

Agree 1000% with what everyone else has said. What a great player, what a great role model, what a great person, what a great husband, what a great father, etc. The list could go on and on and on. Congrats AP!!!!!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

As much as AP accomplished on the field, and Lord knows that's a lot, I'm willing to bet he's probably most proud of the very end of that video posted earlier in this thread where he was walking across the stage with his diploma. To battle his speech issues, etc., be a DOMINANT football player, and STILL get that diploma.... wow. The guy has always been gracious and I've never witnessed him not smiling.

Congrats AP! Relish in this moment and soak it all in when you're standing there with Spurrier, Manning, and Faulk. No doubt you're every bit as deserving as those three.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    Very deserving!

It is an absolute travesty the Erk is not in there too!
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by sidslidkid View Post
    I'm so happy for him. He was (and still is) a legend when he was in school. I had a class with him one time and I remember being behind him one day as we were walked through campus on our way to class. It was crazy to see just how big of a celebrity he really was. Everyone would smile and shout out to him, or whisper to a friend "Hey, that's A.P.!". People would even get him to sign their text book. He was pretty modest about it all too. Seemed like a great guy even back then.
    It's been enough years now where I don't remember if I was there or told to me by a friend (I'll tell it as if it was me though). I had just made it through the line at Landrum to get some chicken fingers and was getting some honey mustard or something. After being rung up, I heard the guy behind me stammer something along the lines of, "Oh man, I forget my Eagle Express card." To which one of his buddies shouted, "{{expletive}} you know they ain't gonna make you pay for that," and then a bunch of laughter. I turned to look and it was AP.
    "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

Dusty Fowler
    I.T./B.Mgmt.
    GSUAF Member
    P69 - Section 108

Quote Originally Posted by Ralze34 View Post
    It's been enough years now where I don't remember if I was there or told to me by a friend (I'll tell it as if it was me though). I had just made it through the line at Landrum to get some chicken fingers and was getting some honey mustard or something. After being rung up, I heard the guy behind me stammer something along the lines of, "Oh man, I forget my Eagle Express card." To which one of his buddies shouted, "{{expletive}} you know they ain't gonna make you pay for that," and then a bunch of laughter. I turned to look and it was AP.
    Great, now the NCAA infractions committee is going to read this post and make us vacate 2 of our National Championships for giving A.P. a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I'm like Briscoe Darling--this one makes me cry.
    Nice pull! But I thought Charlene was always the weepy one, especially when it comes to "Boil Them Cabbage Down"
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Nice pull! But I thought Charlene was always the weepy one, especially when it comes to "Boil Them Cabbage Down"
    This one makes Briscoe cry:

https://youtu.be/ecUudG64c-w?t=67
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

A well deserved honor for a great football player and great person. GATA AP!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I'm glad we have something that we age on!

The only guy who comes close is Armanti Edwards.

Lo-res highlights don't do justice to the "AP effect" we witnessed over and over and over again from '98 to '01. There was an aura when we had the ball. It wasn't all AP, but he was the focal point.

And I think it affected opposing defenses, too. Look at all of those vicious stiff arms on DBs, and look at how timid some of them are about closing on him in the open field. They were afraid of him.

DL and LB also had to be mentally and physically prepared to wrap securely and gang-tackle every play. If you just laid a lick on AP, you were very likely to bounce off. He was like a cat--it was HARD to knock him off his feet. I've never seen another guy--especially at his size--with that running style. He put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses.

When he was a senior, more than one team conceded 50-70 points just to be the first to hold him under 100 yards.
    I never missed on home game or home playoff game and made it to Boone for both away games. I remember driving to Statesboro on break sitting in the stands by myself for playoff games with nobody within 50 feet of me. Was at the UM NC game, I was in the endzone with the dudes to hammered to feel the cold with no shirts on with GSU painted on them. I could not feel much either but was still sober enough to know hypothermia is for real. Didnt have the funds to go to the others or other away games or I would have been to all.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

I was out of school and working when AP was playing but I got to see him and the Eagles play a good bit and one thing stands out to me more than any other is the game at Georgia. He ran for 151 yards against two future NFL players and as the clock was winding down AP was sitting on the Southern bench, mad at himself because he thought he didn't do enough in the game. As we were running back and fourth trying to get pictures behind the bench, someone stopped and asked AP how he was doing, he nodded and said, "I didn't do enough today." Take away The Run, the National Titles, the Walter Payton award, and everything that went with his unreal career at Southern, and that one line there tells you all you need to know about him as a player and a man.
    I know Tracey was first, but AP was the best Eagle ever, he has the numbers, he has the rings, he has the respect of everyone that ever saw him play and as good of a player as he was, he is a better man.
    Do right is the motto, if you need to see that motto in a person, find AP.