Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have to know, Shorter or .........

Default Re: I have to know, Shorter or .........

My lady married me because she doesn't like shorter.
    GATA!

But how big are your hands OF????

Are they Berry big?

This thread has gone to some dark places, but as someone that lives in Rome, and is from Rome here is what I know about both schools.

Shorter a few years ago, under a mandate from the Southern Baptist Convention and the new president, became much more conservative. Shorter made all their staff members sign a "pact" that told them the rules they should live by, some were mundane, but telling professors what to think and how to act is not really a good move in my book. They lost their award winning choir director, lost the nursing program as a whole, lost a chunk of the students and staff and lost most all respect of the locals here. The departments have been stripped bare and the place is running on a shoestring budget, but it is still up and running as a school that could lose its accreditation at any moment. Some of the new policies have really not sat well with the SACS accreditation board.

As for Berry, it is the largest land area college in the world and they have a Bald Eagle cam so we have to like them right? Berry is pricey, and with pricey you get some folks that think they are better than the school and the town. The place has a snooty feel now that it didn't have 20 years ago, at least to me. It is not a bad school or a bad athletic department, it is just a small college not trying to be anything else but what it is. No harm in that at all, and no matter what you might think of some of the people that go there now, it is one of the most beautiful southern campuses you will ever see at certain parts of the year.

Neither Berry nor Shorter can hold a candle to Georgia Southern as a University, athletically or really in any way. It is like comparing an apple to a raccoon, other than they are both carbon based, they have very little in common. I have different relatives that graduated from both Shorter and Berry and both of them say they are glad they got their degree, but they both wish they had gone someplace like Georgia Southern, and that is just from what they have heard about the place from me. As for the town of Rome, well it is special, and not in a a good way most times, but it is home and while I might not always love it, it will always be home.

One thing Rome has that the boro does not and wish they did, is a cigar bar DT. We had a province workshop for our fraternity at Berry when I was in school and we all went there. The cigars and beers were awesome. The Berry brothers? A little weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    I happen to know EE and he is not what you imply in spite what you all want to think.

I have no idea why he is on this rant about Berry vs GS.....or the world.

It is his war....not mine.

I can tell you that he is a decent guy and not what you imply or think he is implying.

As for Rome GA.......I hate that town! Used to be in my dirt.....glad I am rid of it.

All this college ed talk is a waste......everything I needed to know in school I learned by the time I finished the 3rd grade at Sallie Zetterower Elementary back in 1967!
    Well he did say he prefers the environment at berry, and that includes a mostly white student population. I pointed that out and he didn't respond.

Apparently, racial diversity is not important to him when it comes to a college experience.

I'm not calling him a racist, I'm just pointing out that he likely would rather send his kid to a college with very like minded kids instead of a school that is socially and ethnically diverse.

6. Default Re: I have to know, Shorter or .........

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    I happen to know EE and he is not what you imply in spite what you all want to think.

I have no idea why he is on this rant about Berry vs GS.....or the world.

It is his war....not mine.

I can tell you that he is a decent guy and not what you imply or think he is implying.

As for Rome GA.......I hate that town! Used to be in my dirt.....glad I am rid of it.

All this college ed talk is a waste......everything I needed to know in school I learned by the time I finished the 3rd grade at Sallie Zetterower Elementary back in 1967!
    Thanks Geech ..I am done now as sometimes it is amusing to see how certain ones will run with things if you disagree with them but in the end it's just an argument unsolved. I agree, we all probably learned all the usable basics early in our education path.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEagle View Post
    Thanks Geech ..I am done now as sometimes it is amusing to see how certain ones will run with things if you disagree with them but in the end it's just an argument unsolved. I agree, we all probably learned all the usable basics early in our education path.
    Why even say stuff like this when your history shows you don't mean it. You have made your three or four main points and have really offered little above them. The balance of what you have posted is purely sound and fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    It is like comparing an apple to a raccoon, other than they are both carbon based, they have very little in common.
    Good one.

9. Default Re: I have to know, Shorter or .........

I think Rome is a great town. My wife was born and raised there. She graduated from the Thornwood School, now part of Darlington. She says the high school kids used to party on the Berry campus and ride the waterwheel which was destroyed a few years ago by a tornado. Both Berry and Shorter are good schools - Berry especially in liberal arts and the music program and Shorter has a very good business school. However my wife passed on both schools and now has two degrees from Georgia Southern.

I grew up in Rome. Both schools have great academics, but Shorter's have slipped with the SBC fallout in the last decade. Berry has the largest college campus in the world and it is gorgeous. Athletically they are about the same i guess. Berry just got a football team (D-III) and Shorter is trying to eat off more than they can chew making the jump from NAIA to D-II.