SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 529

Thread: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

  1. Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Savannahkid View Post
    Good points, but when you have two different universities don't you think some Armstrong employees, faculty or even coaches for that matter could be stronger than their counterparts from Southern? I do not think they want it all, just want it to be fair. Or it would be a takeover would it not? That is what I got from the SMN story.

    I would like to get Garns' view on this.
    Of course I think some ASU employees could be as strong as their GS counterpart. However, my interpretation of that question is that you are implying NO ASU employees are being retained, admittedly I have no idea who has been offered a job and who has not, but I find that VERY difficult to believe. Additionally, I have no doubt that many ASU employees THINK they are as good as their GS counterpart, but are they really? Idk. I am not trying to imply that GS employees are better than ASU employees but some times reality escapes us. It has been my experience that when someone is let-go they usually default to "but I have been with this company/university for X years," unfortunately that is not an adequate benchmark for determining skill levels.

  2. Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Of course I think some ASU employees could be as strong as their GS counterpart. However, my interpretation of that question is that you are implying NO ASU employees are being retained, admittedly I have no idea who has been offered a job and who has not, but I find that VERY difficult to believe. Additionally, I have no doubt that many ASU employees THINK they are as good as their GS counterpart, but are they really? Idk. I am not trying to imply that GS employees are better than ASU employees but some times reality escapes us. It has been my experience that when someone is let-go they usually default to "but I have been with this company/university for X years," unfortunately that is not an adequate benchmark for determining skill levels.
    I have no idea who is being retained or not from ASU. I am certain a large number of GSU employees THINK they are better than their counterparts. Some may be on the wrong end when it all comes down. Take the best people from both schools and make the best university possible. Boy, there is a novel concept. Great opportunity to get rid of the waste and bad employees at both places.

  3. #323

    Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    I can understand how someone at Armstrong could be upset. However this type of thing happens all the time in the world of business. Also they are missing two important items. The BOR started this process years ago and the purpose is to reduce costs by consolidation. This is not the first consolidation and it won't be the last. Second there are still 2 Georgia's. You have the metro Atlanta- Athens corridor and then you have the rest of the state. Metro Atlanta-Athens is always taken care of by the general assembly and the the rest of the state gets the leftover crumbs. This is especially true for south Georgia. The same thing applies to the BOR. They always take care of UGA and everyone else gets the crumbs. With this consolidation you will now have one of the largest universities in the state and the largest university south of Atlanta. If you combine the new Georgia Southern with the growth currently going on in southeast Georgia, especially related to the growth of the Savannah port this area may start to finally get more than a few leftover crumbs. I see this as a great opportunity for this area. Yea it stinks for Armstrong but the long term benefits could be huge for southeast Georgia.
    Good points
    Rick Kinney
    Class of 1980
    Irmo, SC

  4. Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    I can understand how someone at Armstrong could be upset. However this type of thing happens all the time in the world of business. Also they are missing two important items. The BOR started this process years ago and the purpose is to reduce costs by consolidation. This is not the first consolidation and it won't be the last. Second there are still 2 Georgia's. You have the metro Atlanta- Athens corridor and then you have the rest of the state. Metro Atlanta-Athens is always taken care of by the general assembly and the the rest of the state gets the leftover crumbs. This is especially true for south Georgia. The same thing applies to the BOR. They always take care of UGA and everyone else gets the crumbs. With this consolidation you will now have one of the largest universities in the state and the largest university south of Atlanta. If you combine the new Georgia Southern with the growth currently going on in southeast Georgia, especially related to the growth of the Savannah port this area may start to finally get more than a few leftover crumbs. I see this as a great opportunity for this area. Yea it stinks for Armstrong but the long term benefits could be huge for southeast Georgia.
    This is the whole reason our consolidation is happening honestly. For the most part, all the other consolidations that have happened so far, both campuses were in the same city and it made sense to merge the two schools together. Our consolidation is different because there is a distinctive distance between us and Armstrong. The main reason for the BOR to approve this merger is because the city of Savannah is growing faster than Armstrong and SSU can support it, so they are moving a major university into the city. Besides us, the next closest major university to Savannah is the University of South Carolina. That's significant. It means we're the only major university to serve most of South/Coastal Georgia. I think the BOR finally realizes this and that's why they are giving Georgia Southern a little more credit than they have in the past.

  5. Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by tapate50 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Never heard a word about Armstrong and all their strong staff and traditions until Savannah gets dealt what the rest of the state has been dealing with for years, and it wasn't a surprise at all. Instead of staying Savannah strong maybe they ought to realize this is an excellent opportunity for them for growth.
    The smn and local tv has tried to stir
    this up. Typical wo is us stuff called the gm at wtoc after his editorial and reminded him that he probably had more gs viewers than asu.

  6. #326
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lake Oconee & Savannah
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    This is the whole reason our consolidation is happening honestly. For the most part, all the other consolidations that have happened so far, both campuses were in the same city and it made sense to merge the two schools together. Our consolidation is different because there is a distinctive distance between us and Armstrong. The main reason for the BOR to approve this merger is because the city of Savannah is growing faster than Armstrong and SSU can support it, so they are moving a major university into the city. Besides us, the next closest major university to Savannah is the University of South Carolina. That's significant. It means we're the only major university to serve most of South/Coastal Georgia. I think the BOR finally realizes this and that's why they are giving Georgia Southern a little more credit than they have in the past.
    Don't want to hurt your feelings, but you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"

  7. Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by tapate50 View Post
    In all my time in east Ga I heard the name Armstrong like twice. I can't believe this is something Savannah folks are rallying against.
    I've only been here for 5 years, but from the people I know from Savannah and what they've told me, I don't think this is about pride in Armstrong as it is anti-GS.

    A few of my good friends went to private school in Savannah and they always said the joke was that the 11th Commandment is "Thou shalt not attend Georgia Southern University." I can't speak for everyone in Savannah because I've obviously never lived there....I've just been told by friends from there that there's a general disdain of GS from a whole lot of people.

    On your point about never hearing about Armstrong...completely agree. One of my friends parents graduated from there about 6 years ago so I asked them what they think about all this, and they said Armstrong had "no sense of community. It is just a place to get a degree." So yeah, I think this all goes back to what I said above.

  8. #328

    Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    I've only been here for 5 years, but from the people I know from Savannah and what they've told me, I don't think this is about pride in Armstrong as it is anti-GS.

    A few of my good friends went to private school in Savannah and they always said the joke was that the 11th Commandment is "Thou shalt not attend Georgia Southern University." I can't speak for everyone in Savannah because I've obviously never lived there....I've just been told by friends from there that there's a general disdain of GS from a whole lot of people.

    On your point about never hearing about Armstrong...completely agree. One of my friends parents graduated from there about 6 years ago so I asked them what they think about all this, and they said Armstrong had "no sense of community. It is just a place to get a degree." So yeah, I think this all goes back to what I said above.
    And what private school is that? As a life long resident of Savannah whose son attended private school, I have never heard anything so ridiculous.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

  9. #329

    Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    And what private school is that? As a life long resident of Savannah whose son attended private school, I have never heard anything so ridiculous.
    Nor have I. Granted, I'm down in Hinesville, but do business in and have family/friends in Savannah, many of whom attended private schools there, and many of those people went to Georgia Southern. I've never heard anything like that at all. Certainly not saying kdarnell hasn't heard it, but that's VERY surprising to me.
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

  10. #330

    Default Re: Consolidation Committee - Georgia Southern & Armstrong

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    UGA-esque snobbery.
    Just the truth just like a degree from uga is perceived to be better than GS and a degree from GT is perceived to be better than uga. This is also supported virtually any ranking system out there outside of a specific degree programs.

    We are a national university with a Carnegie rating Armstrong was a regional college that could not even make regional rankings. The requirements to get in to Armstrong were ridiculously low as well I am sure most of the students really do not care about the change other than how it affects them logistically not out of some Armstrong pride. Speaking of Armstrong pride they average 364 people per home basketball game last year.....364........ I feel for some of the staff that will have to find new jobs but from what I can tell upper staff move around a lot anyways. Other than that lets call this what it is a money saving move by the BOR and that is what is should like all the other consolidations the bigger school should be affected little if at all.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Similar Threads

  1. Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge
    By Eagle Creek in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 418
    Last Post: 3rd February 2017, 10:19 AM
  2. NCAA Committee on Infractions regarding Georgia Southern
    By sidslidkid in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 239
    Last Post: 22nd July 2016, 05:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •