Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Day

Default Re: Pro Day

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    An example of why you don't have to have super straight-line speed in order to be a good option QB.
    Either or. Ellison got the yards by being able to cut, take a hit and getting up to speed fast. He was a dynamic runner and was quick. Most runs are not 40 yards either it is also how fast you can get up to top speed as well. I believe the combine measures every yardage but only releases the total 40 time. I would assume the drills that focus on changing directions he would have been pretty good. He and Shaw probably had the same or similar straight line speed but the rushing numbers are light years apart.

Favian was on the other side of they dynamic runner coin where he relied on straight line speed but I did not see him break many ankles or tackles.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Either or. Ellison got the yards by being able to cut, take a hit and getting up to speed fast. He was a dynamic runner and was quick. Most runs are not 40 yards either it is also how fast you can get up to top speed as well. I believe the combine measures every yardage but only releases the total 40 time. I would assume the drills that focus on changing directions he would have been pretty good. He and Shaw probably had the same or similar straight line speed but the rushing numbers are light years apart.

Favian was on the other side of they dynamic runner coin where he relied on straight line speed but I did not see him break many ankles or tackles.
    I'm not disagreeing with you JDC. Non-linear speed and acceleration is more important for an option QB than speed itself.

This run right here (Youtube link) is an example of that. If he had the speed of Jerick McKinnon, hegone.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 31st March 2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I'm not disagreeing with you JDC. Non-linear speed and acceleration is more important for an option QB than speed itself.

This run right here (Youtube link) is an example of that. If he had the speed of Jerick McKinnon, hegone.
    No doubt and Favian might not have gotten the edge but would have blistered the LB's and secondary. If we could have just combined the two....

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Will Breida hurry up and get drafted so I can purchase his jersey?

True, but for the first 20+ yards, he was just blowing by defenders like they were in quicksand.

Of course, the end of that play was one of the hits that kept Ellison from developing into one of the two best QBs we've ever had.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/2...tian-mccaffrey

For perspective, Breida's 40 time is higher than all but 1 back from the NFL combine, only two backs did better on the bench press, and his vertical leap and broad jump would be the longest.

Is it just his size that kept him from the combine or did he really drop off the radar because of the crappy offensive coaching?
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/2...tian-mccaffrey

For perspective, Breida's 40 time is higher than all but 1 back from the NFL combine, only two backs did better on the bench press, and his vertical leap and broad jump would be the longest.

Is it just his size that kept him from the combine or did he really drop off the radar because of the crappy offensive coaching?
    Second part.

I think the scouts would've given him the benefit of the doubt with a good senior season, but the eyeball test puts him at about 5'9", 185 lbs, with very little chance of adding more weight. You can't be a slashing "tailback" at that size in the NFL. You have to be Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon.

But Matt basically turned in an elite performance yesterday--the kind of performance that bumped Jerick from an UDFA to a third round pick. Like "best in the entire draft" level.

And, like I said before, he has (much) better instincts in space than Jerick. Of course, Jerick was just as good (if not better) in tight spaces and put up 32 reps of 225.

How did we have these guys on the team at the same time?

or did he really drop off the radar because of the crappy offensive coaching?
    I REALLY hate to say it but that's it.

this is the play where Ellison first hurt his shoulder.

An example of why you don't have to have super straight-line speed in order to be a good option QB.
    There's also a difference in some people between 40 speed and game speed. Jerry Rice for example rarely broke 4.5 in the 40, yet in the game he often burned everybody on the field. I also agree with other posters in that Ellison got up to speed very quickly. Favian was clearly faster, but couldn't really cut and had a much slower acceleration. Lots of variable in choosing an option QB.