SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to Logo and/or Mascot?

Default Changes to Logo and/or Mascot?

Since I started the other thread relating to the consolidation committee, I wanted to open up a new thread on a different topic. I just finished reading the following article out of Savannah: http://savannahnow.com/news/2017-04-...rmstrong-forum.

I am particularly concerned about the following text from the article: "Hebert said he was unsure whether there will be any changes to logos or mascots in Statesboro, but noted 'internal change' on the campus."

How was he unable to address the issue of changes to our logos or mascot? Shouldn't the answer be "No, there will be no changes to Georgia Southern's logos or mascot!" Why is there any uncertainty on these matters?

Are the folks from Armstrong suggesting we change our logo to a pirate with an eagle on its shoulder?
    Heath Vickers
    Degree from Georgia Southern - BBA in Accounting in 2006
    Jacksonville, Florida

Default Re: Changes to Logo and/or Mascot?

He probably just doesn't want to speak too definitively on things relating to athletics (at least I hope that's the case).
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLaw View Post
    Since I started the other thread relating to the consolidation committee, I wanted to open up a new thread on a different topic. I just finished reading the following article out of Savannah: http://savannahnow.com/news/2017-04-...rmstrong-forum.

I am particularly concerned about the following text from the article: "Hebert said he was unsure whether there will be any changes to logos or mascots in Statesboro, but noted 'internal change' on the campus."

How was he unable to address the issue of changes to our logos or mascot? Shouldn't the answer be "No, there will be no changes to Georgia Southern's logos or mascot!" Why is there any uncertainty on these matters?

Are the folks from Armstrong suggesting we change our logo to a pirate with an eagle on its shoulder?
    They have not gotten to that part of the process yet so he likely does not have an answer. So he's not really allowed to say no, even if it's likely nothing is going to change.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

ok, ok
    I didnt want to say anything but

Armstrong will probably get ZIKA Gus

or maybe our Gus will get an Eye Patch

before anyone flips out

I have no idea
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

That's actually a good answer by him. I don't think anything will change, but this is being called a merger rather than an acquisition. Saying it will be discussed even though everyone is pretty sure of the answer is just being polite.

6. Default Re: Changes to Logo and/or Mascot?

Hebert will make a symbolic gesture to the Armstrong contingent and agree to have GUS wear an eye patch on September 19th annually going forward..... (that is international talk like a pirate day). arrrrgghhhhh!
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

It's a good time to implement the academic logo (Eagle medallion) for athletics and get rid of the cartoon character.

8. Default Re: Changes to Logo and/or Mascot?

Quote Originally Posted by I AM an Eagle! View Post
    It's a good time to implement the academic logo (Eagle medallion) for athletics and get rid of the cartoon character.
    I like our Athletic logo and most schools have a separate logo for academics and athletics. Now would be a good time to make the GS logo our primary athletic logo though since we'll technically have a "new" athletic department.

9. Default Re: Changes to Logo and/or Mascot?

Nope! No maroon, no pirates, and no other even slight references to the Savannah university that will no longer exist once it's been fully taken over by Georgia Southern. They no longer have an athletics program, and shouldn't have any say with regards to our mascot, traditions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLaw View Post

“From the outside, this completely looks like an acquisition,” said Donna Mullenax, a physics instructor at Armstrong. She wanted to know if there would be any cosmetic changes in Statesboro to signal a new — rather than expanded — university.
    Hebert said he was unsure whether there will be any changes to logos or mascots in Statesboro, but noted “internal change” on the campus.
    http://savannahnow.com/news/2017-04-...rmstrong-forum

Honest answer by President Hebert to a question. We all know that there will be outward changes to the Armstrong campus to reflect the change to Georgia Southern. What is he going to say "Hell no there are not going to be any outward changes in Statesboro because in reality this is really a takeover of Armstrong by Georgia Southern mandated by the state."
    "Once and Eagle Always and Eagle"
    Valley, Alabama
    Fan of Erk since the 70's, Eagle Scout 1978, Georgia Southern Fan since 2009