SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regional projections

Default Regional projections

Latest prediction now has 2 sunbelt teams in. However, kinda odd how they now have UTA getting the automatic bid (I understand that) but the ULL getting the at-large while South Alabama has a better RPI, leading their respective division and ULL just lost 2 of 3 from us at home. South Alabama 7-3 in their last 10 while ULL is 5-5. I still believe South Alabama, Us and Coastal are the 3 best teams in the conference. UTA will not win the tourney.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/projection

Default Re: Regional projections

Baseball America is still showing the Sunbelt as a 1 bid league, crowning USA. Interestingly, they have no mention of UTA or us. They have ULL as a first four out team and CCU as a next four out team.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...GPW6OzIjvWD.97

The Tech game is a must-win to have a shot at the at-large bid, and it goes without saying we can't afford to lose a series to Ark State or Georgia State.

If we go full throttle for 63 more innings we might can run the table in the remaining games and reach 40 wins and that I think would punch the ticket. It wouldn't be the longest winning streak Hennon has had here. Of course we're playing well enough to win them all but don't let your guard down with a GS baseball team.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

4. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    Baseball America is still showing the Sunbelt as a 1 bid league, crowning USA. Interestingly, they have no mention of UTA or us. They have ULL as a first four out team and CCU as a next four out team.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...GPW6OzIjvWD.97
    Can someone tell me how/why ULL and CCU are viewed as better options than GS this year? I caught some of CCU's game yesterday and they had a #29 next to their name. I googled every NCAA baseball ranking I could find and I could find no list with them at #29. Not to say that they are not #29 but I would like to see that particular ranking because I am curious where GS is on the same scale. I guess I feel like GS should be ranked near them or better, after all we beat them (and ULL/UTA), have a better overall record, similar SBC record and CCU really has not beaten anyone great OOC (ULL, at least, beat good So Miss and Sam Houston programs).

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Can someone tell me how/why ULL and CCU are viewed as better options than GS this year? I caught some of CCU's game yesterday and they had a #29 next to their name. I googled every NCAA baseball ranking I could find and I could find no list with them at #29. Not to say that they are not #29 but I would like to see that particular ranking because I am curious where GS is on the same scale. I guess I feel like GS should be ranked near them or better, after all we beat them (and ULL/UTA), have a better overall record, similar SBC record and CCU really has not beaten anyone great OOC (ULL, at least, beat good So Miss and Sam Houston programs).
    They were national champions last year.

That's why.

6. Default Re: Regional projections

The projections above are based strictly on RPI and the selection committee relies heavily on RPI as well. We're currently 4th in league in RPI after USA, CCU, and ULL. This is mainly due to our weak strength of schedule this year. Many of our normal OOC opponents were down this year and we always take a huge hit by playing Savannah State.

Our only chance of an at-large bid this years is if we can get our RPI into the 50s and win 40 games.

Edit - It also isn't about who you beat, it's about who you play.

I was wondering about that #29 thing myself...
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

I don't have complicated metrics or years of polling to hang my hat on, but I have to call shenanigans on Baseball America or whoever else isn't giving us some sort of consideration for regionals.

We have no shot of being the top seed in the conference tournament and it would take some very fortunate breaks to even win our division. That said, it's plainly evident that we have proven ourselves most and played our best against the best competition on the schedule and will end the season with a record that could head into any regional with respectability.

To keep GS out of consideration because of random bad games against bad teams while breaking their necks to justify power conference teams with embarrassing records is a shame. I'm still holding out hope that - if the best Sun Belt teams all make it deep into the tournament - the committee will realize that at least two (three by my count) teams are deserving of the postseason.

9. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The Tech game is a must-win to have a shot at the at-large bid, and it goes without saying we can't afford to lose a series to Ark State or Georgia State.

If we go full throttle for 63 more innings we might can run the table in the remaining games and reach 40 wins and that I think would punch the ticket. It wouldn't be the longest winning streak Hennon has had here. Of course we're playing well enough to win them all but don't let your guard down with a GS baseball team.
    We've lost our top two hitters and Friday Night Starter to injuries since the start of the season. Without a consistent offense, or a true Ace, we've got a 6 ERA, and hit near the bottom of the league. Maybe we pull it all together just in time for the weekend, since we somehow still might finish 6th in this forsaken league, but I don't expect much.

Losing one game to us might destroy your RPI for eternity. We sort of took some awful losses in OOC play to teams 250-300 in RPI.

10. Default Re: Regional projections

Committee bias.

It's simple really. They are Coastal Carolina and Louisiana Lafayette. They are top 25 programs. Coastal won a National Title last year, ULL has been to 2 CWS and hosted regionals and super regionals recently.

You guys are Georgia Southern

In the eyes of the committee, the Cajuns and Chants get a break for struggling because they are normally good. In the eyes of the media, they get a break. You guys don't because you've not accomplished what either of them have baseball wise. It's completely unfair and horrible use of metrics, but its why you're not getting mentioned.