Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regional projections

1. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfan View Post
    Committee bias.

It's simple really. They are Coastal Carolina and Louisiana Lafayette. They are top 25 programs. Coastal won a National Title last year, ULL has been to 2 CWS and hosted regionals and super regionals recently.

You guys are Georgia Southern

In the eyes of the committee, the Cajuns and Chants get a break for struggling because they are normally good. In the eyes of the media, they get a break. You guys don't because you've not accomplished what either of them have baseball wise. It's completely unfair and horrible use of metrics, but its why you're not getting mentioned.
    Maybe they forgot, but putting Coastal aside, our resume stacks up well against the Cajuns. And we're the ones that have been to the CWS twice, ULL once albeit more recently.

2. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
    Maybe they forgot, but putting Coastal aside, our resume stacks up well against the Cajuns. And we're the ones that have been to the CWS twice, ULL once albeit more recently.
    We just need to win some ball games. Also can always go through the front door and win the tournament.

3. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfan View Post
    Committee bias.

It's simple really. They are Coastal Carolina and Louisiana Lafayette. They are top 25 programs. Coastal won a National Title last year, ULL has been to 2 CWS and hosted regionals and super regionals recently.

You guys are Georgia Southern

In the eyes of the committee, the Cajuns and Chants get a break for struggling because they are normally good. In the eyes of the media, they get a break. You guys don't because you've not accomplished what either of them have baseball wise. It's completely unfair and horrible use of metrics, but its why you're not getting mentioned.
    Yeah, unfortunately that is probably the answer. Disappointing because on paper GS is greater than or equal to CCU THIS year, but it is what it is, they earned it with the NC.

However, ULL does not have 2 CWS appearances, nor does CCU... in fact, only one program in the SBC has multiple appearances in Omaha, NE. It is the same program that has double digit NCAA Tournament appearances (13) and double digit Conference Championships (10)- both as recently as 2014, and only one win away from doing it again last year. That program is Georgia Southern.

Granted, CCU and ULL have accomplished more recently, however we have accomplished more THIS season. So, from my biased point of view, the fact that they are being ranked based on performance AFTER GS' national success but BEFORE this season is disappointing.

Default Re: Regional projections

Our strength of schedule ranking is 143
    ULL 55
    Coastal Carolina 87
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    ULL 55
    Coastal Carolina 87
    and there you have it.

6. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    ULL 55
    Coastal Carolina 87

What source? I believe you but I usually default to Massey for that info and they have GS at 114, ULL at 65 and CCU at 106 (CCU lost to almost all higher ranked opponents they played- except USA).

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    What source? I believe you but I usually default to Massey for that info and they have GS at 114, ULL at 65 and CCU at 106 (CCU lost to almost all higher ranked opponents they played- except USA).
    I really like Warren Nolan and have been following this since mid 2000's

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/rpi-live

USA RPI of 44
    ULL 49
    Coastal 63
    we are at 69

I believe beating Tech next week (RPI of 54) will not only help with an at large but give us even more confidence going into the tourney. If we come out and throw the ball around, make a ton of errors and look ridiculous (like we seem to do against Tech for whatever reason) then it could really hurt our confidence. We need 5 of 6 at least for the remaining conference games and to beat Tech!

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    We need 5 of 6 at least for the remaining conference games and to beat Tech!
    As much as I agree with you in terms of what it will take to get an at-large bid, the thought of entering the tournament on a 10-game winning streak would terrify me. The vast majority of that streak would be due to pitching and even the best arms won't shut everyone down all the time.

We're a good team. We're a damn good team. We're a great team when the pitching lives up to its potential and a few key hits fall in.

But we aren't a team that is built to go on a half-month winning streak. At least not when the offense is hit and miss.

If you could guarantee me 5... maybe 6 runs of production each game, I'd gladly take the deal and tell the pitching and defense to go find 27 outs.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    They were national champions last year.

That's why.
    So? There is a whole season this year to go off of, also actuall head to head games. We won both series against ULL and CCU.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

10. Default Re: Regional projections

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    So? There is a whole season this year to go off of, also actuall head to head games. We won both series against ULL and CCU.
    Yep... and UTA (who sweep ULL)- all three series victories on the road.

I get it, they are good programs, but so is GS. I just want to see us get a fair shot and not be overlooked for a program that is perceived to have a better reputation.