Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A Session with TK

1. Default Q&A Session with TK

http://www.gseagles.com/news/2017/6/...athletics.aspx

First of a five part Q&A session:

Topics discussed are:
    1. Hot Topics from Sun Belt meetings
    2. ESPN struggles and opportunities with the changing technologies for broadcasts
    3. Impacts on budgets with ESPN's struggles (Sunbelt is better positioned that other G5's)
    4. Football scheduling and trying to position the Sunbelt as a top three G5 conference (more money per school, better opportunities)
    5. Football scheduling - P5 game payouts

I know the subject of TK's performance leading our athletic department is a hot button, and I don't want this thread to devolve into "he walks on water" vs "he inhales vigorously", but I do think it is good and important to consider all that goes into GS athletics overall and the challenges every AD faces. TK has had some challenges the past year in regards to communicating with the fan base, so getting more information out there is important... and frankly it is a dead period for GS sports between now and fall and we all are starving for new content to comment on.

I had not fully considered why we play some of the G5 teams we do play, but his explanation does make sense. We begin to play other G5's OOC and beat them, then we (and ultimately the Sunbelt) moves up in comparison to other G5 conferences. This means more money and more opportunities with better bowl tie-ins (he did not mention the bowls but it would be a logical outcome). The dependence on the P5 money games drives us to locking in games years in advance, which limits our flexibility for opportunities like the App-Miami game. However, we need the money and have to lock in the contractual dollars so we can plan better.
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

2. Default Re: Q&A Session with TK

Thought it was interesting that he said he intentionally schedules cupcake G5 teams to help boost our conferences perception and therefore payout when I feel like we would make close to the same amount of revenue by just having an attractive home schedule that sells. Double edged sword I guess.

Default Re: Q&A Session with TK

Apropos nothing, but could they have picked a less flattering picture of TK?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Thought it was interesting that he said he intentionally schedules cupcake G5 teams to help boost our conferences perception and therefore payout when I feel like we would make close to the same amount of revenue by just having an attractive home schedule that sells. Double edged sword I guess.
    He still has to find those teams willing to come to Statesboro for a game. Scheduling games is a two-way street, and I imagine most G5's aren't in a rush to travel to the new-to-FBS school with a rich football history that in its first few years took a number of P5's to the limit at their stadium.

5. Default Re: Q&A Session with TK

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    IMO, I prefer this method in lieu of a strategy that is contingent on StAte winning OOC games, or having to cheer for App and GaSt to win.

I say this as a fan of TK... gibberish. When asked about the scheduling, he starts with the continued fight of who wants to play us and what's best for us, and the next sentence is how we need to position ourselves as a top 3 G5 conference by beating those other two conferences (CUSA & MAC). Those are two conflicting answers in adjacent sentences... are we losing a fight of who wants to play us, or are we strategically scheduling the lower G5 conferences? If it is the latter than why schedule an AAC program (not complaining about that one) and Independents Umass and NMSU? And, is beating last place Ball State and last place FAU really going to help elevate our conference over others?

IMO he's doing his best to juggle three pretty difficult tasks when it comes to scheduling: to satisfy the masses that are calling for big name schools, to get anyone and everyone who will agree to a H&H with us, and to get games that are winnable from other G5 conferences so the W-L record of Sunbelt teams vs other G5 teams is better. Not every game is going to fit all three of those categories.

I will admit that I never really thought of the W-L record between G5 conferences being a consideration at the end of the year for conference money, but it makes sense.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

7. Default Re: Q&A Session with TK

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    Not the best, but nowhere near as awful as the CTS pic from sav news

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    He makes that face a lot when he's talking. It is a bad picture, though
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

i enjoy reading these, but I also enjoyed "sam's journal".

hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

10. Default Re: Q&A Session with TK

Part II
    Topics Discussed:
    1. Facility Improvements : Track project (new track and locker room improvements), new arena in feasibility stage, Commented on improving softball facilities.
    2. Football expansion: Reiterated what has been previously reported and we would look at expanding once we are fill up Paulson each week regardless of opponent.
    3. Proud of the transition to FBS and how the move to FBS placed bigger demands on the entire department
    4. Consolidation: Tough conversations with staff (both AS and GS) on decisions. The ripple effect from decisions made in one department regarding consolidation and how it impacts others.

http://gseagles.com/news/2017/6/14/g...athletics.aspx
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.