Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MLB Draft and GS

Default Re: MLB Draft and GS

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    You bring up an interesting question and it is long enough since the season to discuss.

Is our program a program where it is ok to win 35 games each season? Is it ok to be in the conference championship game or do we need to win conference championships to be ok. Can we go years without being in the NCAA tourney and be ok? If we must go to NCAA tourney to be ok, can we go for years without winning a game in the NCAAs and be ok? Do we need to win and advance in the tourney every few years to be ok?

What at is the litmus test to be successful at FS?

Coach Hennon just completed his 18th season as Georgia Southern's head coach. During that time (obviously in the SoCon and Sun Belt), we've enjoyed 10 championships (regular season or tourney - all in the SoCon) and six NCAA tournament appearances (again, all in the SoCon).

So for just the 'math', that is a 0.333 average of making the NCAA post-season tournament, or a simple once every 3 years just going on average. His career at Georgia Southern shows a .555 average in winning the regular season and/or tourney.

The obvious question that gets raised is now that we are in the Sun Belt, will those averages play out / hold ? I think in order to win a regular season title in this league you have to have a favorable home schedule and obviously play well at home. One could argue this years schedule wasn't set up like that but we played lights out on the road, then squandered a few home games and lost a couple late that really didn't make too much sense. Tournament can always be a roll of the dice, we've been favorites before and not done well and vice-versa. Next year's home schedule should be more favorable, but we have to take advantage of it.

The Sun Belt is obviously a deeper baseball league than the SoCon was, but I think it is a bit too early to say it has significantly improved our pull of talent (yet). We are in a baseball friendly region so there will always be out of state suitors seeking Georgia baseball talent.

If we are content with 35 win seasons we're going to continue to be a 5th place team in the league and have to hope to get hot to win the tournament to make the NCAA's. I don't think that is a long-term strategy anyone can point to as being sound strategically, but there are going to be seasons where you are 30-25 and you're improving but you're not just playing baseball in the post-season. I'd honestly rather see us schedule very tough and use that OOC competition to arguably attract talent and bolster RPI ... then if you are in the 35-37 win range at the end of the regular season you have a shot at NCAA at-large by virtue of winning a couple of games in a tournament plus the backstop of a better RPI slot than you've had historically.

We really don't want to go more than 5 years without a NCAA appearance because then the pressure mounts in making some changes.

The other aspect is what this team does in the classroom and how they conduct themselves when they aren't on the diamond. Rodney runs a clean program. I will say too that Rodney has managed through his 18 years to bring along some very good assistant coaching talent and has survived some others that didn't pan out perhaps like we had hoped. Since we're an academic institution this element carries a huge check mark in his favor, and when I get a little discouraged about the W-L record I always seem to come back to the foundation which is better than many other programs.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Listening to the USA HC after winning SB tournament, I thought it was interesting and alarming. He wasn't happy with only one SB team getting bid to NCAA's. He went on to say that the NCAA is turning D1 baseball into what D1 football is. P5's vs G5's with all the P5's getting the benefit of the doubt. He went on to even use the term "mid major" now for D1 baseball. With so many P5's getting bids, NCAA is squeezing out good 38-40 win G5 teams, for some P5's with lesser records. With this being said, it appears it will become even more difficult in the years to come for G5's unless they win their conference tournament to get an at large bid. We have a proven winning HC, that brings in good kids who do well in school, I don't think it's time to experiment with bringing in some guy who may struggle year in and year out to get to 30+ wins. Like I said the USA HC comments were telling and not encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Coach Hennon just completed his 18th season as Georgia Southern's head coach. During that time (obviously in the SoCon and Sun Belt), we've enjoyed 10 championships (regular season or tourney - all in the SoCon) and six NCAA tournament appearances (again, all in the SoCon).

So for just the 'math', that is a 0.333 average of making the NCAA post-season tournament, or a simple once every 3 years just going on average. His career at Georgia Southern shows a .555 average in winning the regular season and/or tourney.

The obvious question that gets raised is now that we are in the Sun Belt, will those averages play out / hold ? I think in order to win a regular season title in this league you have to have a favorable home schedule and obviously play well at home. One could argue this years schedule wasn't set up like that but we played lights out on the road, then squandered a few home games and lost a couple late that really didn't make too much sense. Tournament can always be a roll of the dice, we've been favorites before and not done well and vice-versa. Next year's home schedule should be more favorable, but we have to take advantage of it.

The Sun Belt is obviously a deeper baseball league than the SoCon was, but I think it is a bit too early to say it has significantly improved our pull of talent (yet). We are in a baseball friendly region so there will always be out of state suitors seeking Georgia baseball talent.

If we are content with 35 win seasons we're going to continue to be a 5th place team in the league and have to hope to get hot to win the tournament to make the NCAA's. I don't think that is a long-term strategy anyone can point to as being sound strategically, but there are going to be seasons where you are 30-25 and you're improving but you're not just playing baseball in the post-season. I'd honestly rather see us schedule very tough and use that OOC competition to arguably attract talent and bolster RPI ... then if you are in the 35-37 win range at the end of the regular season you have a shot at NCAA at-large by virtue of winning a couple of games in a tournament plus the backstop of a better RPI slot than you've had historically.

We really don't want to go more than 5 years without a NCAA appearance because then the pressure mounts in making some changes.

The other aspect is what this team does in the classroom and how they conduct themselves when they aren't on the diamond. Rodney runs a clean program. I will say too that Rodney has managed through his 18 years to bring along some very good assistant coaching talent and has survived some others that didn't pan out perhaps like we had hoped. Since we're an academic institution this element carries a huge check mark in his favor, and when I get a little discouraged about the W-L record I always seem to come back to the foundation which is better than many other programs.
    I agree with all of this. I would like to see the scheduling look a little more like it did years ago with FS, SC, AU, UA and the likes on the schedule regularly. I especially think 4 or 5 years without a tourney appearance should be an issue. We are painfully close to that, but as Garns pointed out, the SB is not getting the benefit of the doubt in the at large bids.

We we are in an area where the baseball ceiling should be much higher than we have shown lately. The question is how many years into the SB is reasonable to expect that ceiling to be reached.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Wren is making his pro debut tonight with the Lowell Spinners

5. Default Re: MLB Draft and GS

Another baseball player gone pro. Best of luck to him. GATA!

Georgia Southern Baseball senior Evan McDonald has signed as an undrafted free agent by the Toronto Blue Jays to a minor league deal. A native of Platte City, Missouri, McDonald started 49 games in 2017 at shortstop with a .256 average. He is the sixth Eagle from the 2017 squad to go pro and joins teammate Jacob Condra-Bogan in the Blue Jays organization.

http://www.gseagles.com/news/2017/7/...blue-jays.aspx
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    Another baseball player gone pro. Best of luck to him. GATA!

Georgia Southern Baseball senior Evan McDonald has signed as an undrafted free agent by the Toronto Blue Jays to a minor league deal. A native of Platte City, Missouri, McDonald started 49 games in 2017 at shortstop with a .256 average. He is the sixth Eagle from the 2017 squad to go pro and joins teammate Jacob Condra-Bogan in the Blue Jays organization.

http://www.gseagles.com/news/2017/7/...blue-jays.aspx
    Good for "Mo", he works hard and wants to be the best he can be. If he doesn't make it it won't because of lack of effort.