SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Staffing Addition-Slow Football News Day

Default Staffing Addition-Slow Football News Day

Since it is a slow football news day.

Per Footballscoop St. Lawrence (D-III – WI) offensive line coach Phil Guard has accepted an offensive graduate assistant job at Georgia Southern.

Assuming it is true, here is his bio from the St. Lawrence Saints website http://saintsathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=186

Phil Guard joined the coaching staff at St. Lawrence University for the 2016 season. The former national champions with Mount Union will work with the offensive line of the Saints.

Guard was a three-year player and one-year assistant coach at Mount Union and helped the Raiders win the national championship in 2012. After graduating in 2015 with a degree in Business Management and a minor in Education, Guard was hired as an assistant coach at Albright University. He helped with the offense, special teams and video as the Lions captured the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) championship and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament before falling to Mount Union.

The Geneva N.Y. native was also a member of the New York State championship football team at Geneva High School.

I understand a high profile FCS offensive lineman/center (1 year all-conference and 1 year second team all-conference) was offered the graduate assistant position and turned it down.

2. Default Re: Staffing Addition-Slow Football News Day

Once again, we are bottom fishing for grouper instead of trolling for marlin...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit_brad View Post
    Since it is a slow football news day.

Per Footballscoop St. Lawrence (D-III – WI) offensive line coach Phil Guard has accepted an offensive graduate assistant job at Georgia Southern.

Assuming it is true, here is his bio from the St. Lawrence Saints website http://saintsathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=186

Phil Guard joined the coaching staff at St. Lawrence University for the 2016 season. The former national champions with Mount Union will work with the offensive line of the Saints.

Guard was a three-year player and one-year assistant coach at Mount Union and helped the Raiders win the national championship in 2012. After graduating in 2015 with a degree in Business Management and a minor in Education, Guard was hired as an assistant coach at Albright University. He helped with the offense, special teams and video as the Lions captured the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) championship and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament before falling to Mount Union.

The Geneva N.Y. native was also a member of the New York State championship football team at Geneva High School.

I understand a high profile FCS offensive lineman/center (1 year all-conference and 1 year second team all-conference) was offered the graduate assistant position and turned it down.

Default Re: Staffing Addition-Slow Football News Day

Quote Originally Posted by GATA28 View Post
    Seriously? We are talking about a GA position here. CTS deserves criticism, but criticizing a GA pick borders on absurd.

I'm ok with it, he's another New Yorker. We now have 2 on staff, our OC and this guy.(smile)

I'm calling foul on this one. Have you even met this guy or know anything about him? To say that on a public forum is poor. I welcome the guy to the privilege of being a part of Eagle Nation! Hope he becomes the best GA ever. GATA!

PS: this does remind me of why I shouldn't read this forum but there are some topics I enjoy reading about.
    So I'll just put up with comments like this that attack people for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    Seriously? We are talking about a GA position here. CTS deserves criticism, but criticizing a GA pick borders on absurd.
    And considering past GA's have included the sons of coaches and former players straight out of school, I think it's pretty awesome to get someone with actual coaching experience as a GA. Plus, what's not to like about a former OL named Guard? And for the "Winner's Mentality" crowd, This guy has a D-III national title from a program that knows a lot about winning.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA

Quote Originally Posted by spdrumline View Post
    And considering past GA's have included the sons of coaches and former players straight out of school, I think it's pretty awesome to get someone with actual coaching experience as a GA. Plus, what's not to like about a former OL named Guard? And for the "Winner's Mentality" crowd, This guy has a D-III national title from a program that knows a lot about winning.
    Bingo!, knows about winning.

well. I already knew it, but this is proof that our fans will b1tch about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by spdrumline View Post

From a GA position, this is all that really mattered. Welcome aboard!

Marlin = taste bad

Grouper = taste good

for God's sake, man...he's going to be a GA.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology