Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlon: Ranking all CFB coaches

Default Re: Athlon: Ranking all CFB coaches

Monken is a better coach than Fritz. Also, PJ is a top 10 coach

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    It would've been majorly stupid to burn Werts' red shirt last year. There's not really anything he could have done for us.
    I don't think we could have played him even if we had wanted to, as I said, because of his own choices.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Monken is a better coach than Fritz. Also, PJ is a top 10 coach
    Fritz has a higher wining percentage here with an FBS schedule than Monken did with an FCS schedule.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

Be your own biggest fan and your own harshest critic.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    I don't think we could have played him even if we had wanted to, as I said, because of his own choices.
    What sorts of choices are you referring to? Choices not to attend enough classes or something like that? Academic stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Can you elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    What sorts of choices are you referring to? Choices not to attend enough classes or something like that? Academic stuff?
    I was told while he was wavering last summer on fulfilling his LOI with us that he went to a JUCO briefly. He finally came to us when classes started in August. He didn't enroll here for Summer Term B like our other signees.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Well, I'll tell you what...we need to build Shai Werts a statue if he turns out to be a total stud at QB. He's on record saying Fritz tried to flip him to Tulane, but he stuck with us...then he had to sit on the bench as 4th string last year while the offense imploded... I'm sure some doubt crept in...but he stayed with it and it looks like he may be close to being "the guy." Good on him. I hope he ends up great.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll see your Jacob Eason and raise you a Deejay Dallas.....https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.daw...m-harbaugh/amp

Or Jake Fromm who was committed to Alabama but switched to UGA when his primary recruiter was hired as their head coach.

Recruits sign for many different reasons. Coaching no doubt has a huge part in it though and when it comes to Eason UGA is probably lucky that Mark Richt is too nice of a guy and Eason was an early enrollee. But in the end Eason did decide that he had committed to a school and not a coach while Fromm decided he committed to a coach and not a school.

Of course it's not just UGA and like I said it's not just Fritz. Tom Herman signed atleast 3 former Houston commits at Texas this year. PJ Fleck signed like 10 former WMU commits at Minnesota.

So you don't have to have your opinion affect by mine. But you might want to have it affected by the facts.
    Ok Jackie,
    I never said or implied that players don't develop relationship with a coach and want to go where he does.
    Or that they never follow a coach.

I just said that Technically, the player doesn't "commit" to a coach. The commits are made to a team or school.
    I don't blame a kid for reconsidering when a coach leaves. For all the "I'll raise you a fill in the blank" examples, I could talk about cases where a player de-committed from a school after a coaching change and signed with another program that his recruiting staff didn't go to. In our case, the players by enlarged were committed to OUR program, and did not get poached by Tulane, even though Fritz tried.
    If it is the player seeking it, I'm fine with it, but it should not IMOP be instigated by the coach.

I doubt it would take much searching to find the interview, or report that came from Fritz himself where he made comments eluding to the fact that he didn't think he should do that when her left SHSU. I respected him for that and in turn lost some respect for him when he failed to follow the same "ethics" after leaving us.

The opinion not affected by your opinion has NOTHING to do with these "facts". I will remain of the opinion, that a coach (who wasn't fired) should not actively pursue committed players from his former employer.
    It makes no difference how many coaches do it. Two, Three or a hundred wrongs still don't make a "do right".
    But hey, that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to change yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Ok Jackie,
    I never said or implied that players don't develop relationship with a coach and want to go where he does.
    Or that they never follow a coach.

I just said that Technically, the player doesn't "commit" to a coach. The commits are made to a team or school.
    I don't blame a kid for reconsidering when a coach leaves. For all the "I'll raise you a fill in the blank" examples, I could talk about cases where a player de-committed from a school after a coaching change and signed with another program that his recruiting staff didn't go to. In our case, the players by enlarged were committed to OUR program, and did not get poached by Tulane, even though Fritz tried.
    If it is the player seeking it, I'm fine with it, but it should not IMOP be instigated by the coach.

I doubt it would take much searching to find the interview, or report that came from Fritz himself where he made comments eluding to the fact that he didn't think he should do that when her left SHSU. I respected him for that and in turn lost some respect for him when he failed to follow the same "ethics" after leaving us.

The opinion not affected by your opinion has NOTHING to do with these "facts". I will remain of the opinion, that a coach (who wasn't fired) should not actively pursue committed players from his former employer.
    It makes no difference how many coaches do it. Two, Three or a hundred wrongs still don't make a "do right".
    But hey, that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to change yours.
    One big thing to caveat a lot of this in regards to Fritz attempting to flip recruits. The recruiting coordinator had a lot of contact with these kids. That title belongs to Chad Lunsford. Lunsford stayed on staff so there was a friendly face for recruits that had a good relationship with them.

My number one target to retain when Fritz left was Chad Lunsford. My number 2 was Dell McGhee (amazing recruiter and flipped Fields from MTSU). Number 3 was Kyle Speer although I figured that was a long shot. The fact that we held onto Lunsford is likely what led to the stability in the recruiting class.

Even so we still saw waffling in the short term with several players. There are always exceptions of players committing to a school no matter the staff, but the majority of the time they commit to a coach.

As for Fritz not recruiting SHSU commits, I would hope he wouldn't for our sake. We were a FBS (for all intents and purposes) at that point and he had retained Lunsford and I wouldn't be surprised if Monken was more than willing to share some things about the recruiting class.

Plus on top of that a really good way to piss off HS coaches in a state loaded with FBS talent would be to pull scholarships so you could sign a bunch of "FCS players" from Texas.

Now I don't doubt that SHSU holds a more special place in Fritz heart, but it didn't make any sense for him to poach that class. It made complete sense for him to poach "our" 2016 class though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.