SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting Rankings

Default Recruiting Rankings

Since moving up we have had 2 recruiting classes go through a season (2015 and 2016). Here are the 3 stars from those two classes:

Markeiss Hallback
    Josh Moon - starter
    JB Kaoussi
    Logan Hunt - starter
    Jessie Liptrot - starter
    Christian Mathew - starter
    Deondre Glenn
    Jeremiah Theus - injured
    Hampton McConnell
    Jay Bowdry - starter
    One Fortune - plays
    Wesley Fields - starter
    Darion Anderson - projected starter
    Drew Wilson - starter
    Monquavion Brinson - starter
    Deshon Cooper
    Lawrence Edwards
    Martial Washington
    Michael Jackson
    Traver Vliem - projected starter
    Kendal Vildor - starter
    Todd Bradley - plays/maybe starter
    Mark Michaud - projected starter
    Tori Desline

Also not listed but were 3 stars on scout are Culbreth who will be a 4 year starter and Wade who might start this year.

Tough to look at that list and say rankings don't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

recruiting rankings do matter, unless your recruiting class is not ranked highly, then people come out and say rankings don't matter, and start rambling about diamonds in the rough, and how higher ranked classes don't matter.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Foo...alentComposite

The end of the discussion if you match up the MAJORITY of the teams with their TOTAL team talent and how they have finished typically in conference, in the win loss column, conference championships and post season games.

The discussion is NOT whether recruiting rankings are 100% accurate it is if they are reliable and they are without argument. Of cousre with thousands of kids and 130+/- teams there will be outliers good and bad based on a multitude of reasons. One being coaching, EX VanGorder vs Chris Peterson. Another would be how young are your key starters. A RS Senior year two star QB is likely to be better that year than a true freshman three star taking their first snaps. It is not about individual players or individual teams or seasons it is about over a given period and if the vast majority of teams and players pan out like predicted which they do. The detractors want to make it a 100% correct or nothing argument which nobody has even once in the history of talking recruit rankings on the team or individual level has asserted in anyway the rankings are 100% accurate.

Cue the individual example parade!

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

4. Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

Are Kindle Vildor, Brinson, Liptrot, and Matthew ALL "starters" at presumably two CB spots? Or are we saying they started at least one game?

I'm also wondering where the "projected starter" labels come from. Did these guys play with the ONES in the spring? Like Vliem, D. Anderson, and Michaud?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Are Kindle Vildor, Brinson, Liptrot, and Matthew ALL "starters" at presumably two CB spots? Or are we saying they started at least one game?

I'm also wondering where the "projected starter" labels come from. Did these guys play with the ONES in the spring? Like Vliem, D. Anderson, and Michaud?

I wasn't going to take the time to go back and add up starts on the CB's because it doesn't really matter. Of course they won't all 4 start the same game, but we rotated them like we did the DL last year...by series. So all 4 played a ton. Wouldn't surprise me if all 4 had atleast 1 start.

And yes the projected starter labels come from those guys playing with the 1's in the spring.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

If we're just going by number of 3 star players, our 2017 team should be significantly more talented than 2014. New Year's Six Bowl here we come!
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    If we're just going by number of 3 star players, our 2017 team should be significantly more talented than 2014. New Year's Six Bowl here we come!

Read what JDC wrote about a 2 star senior vs a 3 star freshman. We had a ton of upperclassman experience on that 2014 team. That's definitely not the case for the 2017 team. The real comparison will be 2018 and 2019 vs 2014.

To expand on what JDC said, the guys from scout.com have said before that the general rule of thumb is to add half a star for every year a player is in the program. There are those who are misses on both being a lot worse or a lot better than predicted almost immediately, but for the player who progresses at the normal rate this is about right.

8. Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

I know this...monquavion Brinson is legit. I saw enough from him last year to know he's one of the two best corners on the team.

I thought the FBS moniker alone added a star to the ranking without any appreciable difference in talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I know this...monquavion Brinson is legit. I saw enough from him last year to know he's one of the two best corners on the team.
    From what I remember, I agree. Real nice kid when I met him after the Troy game. The amount of yes sirs he gave me did make me feel a little old though.
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina