SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Recruiting Rankings

  1. #11

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Read what JDC wrote about a 2 star senior vs a 3 star freshman. We had a ton of upperclassman experience on that 2014 team. That's definitely not the case for the 2017 team. The real comparison will be 2018 and 2019 vs 2014.

    To expand on what JDC said, the guys from scout.com have said before that the general rule of thumb is to add half a star for every year a player is in the program. There are those who are misses on both being a lot worse or a lot better than predicted almost immediately, but for the player who progresses at the normal rate this is about right.
    Well, if you guys are right and we're judging our rosters by star ratings, then we ought to have one hell of a team next year. If we can go 9-3 and lose at the last second to two bowl-bid-earning ACC teams with what we had in 2014 then we'll really be cooking with gas in 2018 even if the coaching across the board doesn't measure up to 2014.

    In terms of the usual "there's a correlation between recruiting rankings and _____" and "players with higher ratings are more likely to _____", I can come up with my own player ratings and recruiting rankings based on nothing other than which schools have offered them and all of those things will be true. That doesn't mean anything to me.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    30,162

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Well, if you guys are right and we're judging our rosters by star ratings, then we ought to have one hell of a team next year. If we can go 9-3 and lose at the last second to two bowl-bid-earning ACC teams with what we had in 2014 then we'll really be cooking with gas in 2018 even if the coaching across the board doesn't measure up to 2014.

    In terms of the usual "there's a correlation between recruiting rankings and _____" and "players with higher ratings are more likely to _____", I can come up with my own player ratings and recruiting rankings based on nothing other than which schools have offered them and all of those things will be true. That doesn't mean anything to me.

    I've been saying for 2 years now that we should be VERY good in 2018. You realize we should be looking at 18 returning starters and just about every key backup back in 2018?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I've been saying for 2 years now that we should be VERY good in 2018. You realize we should be looking at 18 returning starters and just about every key backup back in 2018?
    I know that you've been saying that and have said good things about the talent on the team. But the idea we'll be that much better than a team that was 9-3 with good but not outstanding coaching...that seems to fit into "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" territory.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  4. Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I've been saying for 2 years now that we should be VERY good in 2018. You realize we should be looking at 18 returning starters and just about every key backup back in 2018?
    I thought we would be good AF in 2016 as well. We blew it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    30,162

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I thought we would be good AF in 2016 as well. We blew it.

    That's why I said "should be" very good. We also should have been very good in 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  6. #16

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I know that you've been saying that and have said good things about the talent on the team. But the idea we'll be that much better than a team that was 9-3 with good but not outstanding coaching...that seems to fit into "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" territory.
    The statement in itself is flawed from the start. It doesn't take into consideration all sorts of fun things like player development from 2014 - 2018 (this includes us and our opponents... our 2018 team could be better than 2014 team and not win a game purely because our opponents player development/desire and work ethic to increase their skill sets has improved), scheduling (we won outright in 2014, but did have a pretty weak schedule. I doubt 2018s in conference schedule will be that weak), coaching, s&c, injuries, etc.

    All things being equal, I do think the freshmen classes of 2014 and 2015 "should" develop to be better than their predecessors. Since equality in this situation is unrealistic, a better team may not equal more wins.

  7. #17

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrthe1 View Post
    I thought the FBS moniker alone added a star to the ranking without any appreciable difference in talent.
    No...It is more likely a kid gets a late eval if on committing to an FBS team versus an FCS team for many reasons. Most FBS teams have team pages on the various ranking sites.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  8. #18

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleNationRising View Post
    The statement in itself is flawed from the start. It doesn't take into consideration all sorts of fun things like player development from 2014 - 2018 (this includes us and our opponents... our 2018 team could be better than 2014 team and not win a game purely because our opponents player development/desire and work ethic to increase their skill sets has improved), scheduling (we won outright in 2014, but did have a pretty weak schedule. I doubt 2018s in conference schedule will be that weak), coaching, s&c, injuries, etc.

    All things being equal, I do think the freshmen classes of 2014 and 2015 "should" develop to be better than their predecessors. Since equality in this situation is unrealistic, a better team may not equal more wins.
    The thing is, you can have the best coach in the business and a S&C program as sophisticated as what the US Olympic team uses and there's still a ceiling what what roster you have.

    Nick Saban went 9-2 and failed to get ranked when he coached a Toledo, as did Urban Meyer at Bowling Green.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  9. #19

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I know this...monquavion Brinson is legit. I saw enough from him last year to know he's one of the two best corners on the team.
    Yep, there's a reason they call him "Man"quavion. He's got wicked closing speed.

    Note: it's possible I invented "Man-quavion" . . . I can't remember if I heard that somewhere or not. But it fits.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  10. #20

    Default Re: Recruiting Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yep, there's a reason they call him "Man"quavion. He's got wicked closing speed.

    Note: it's possible I invented "Man-quavion" . . . I can't remember if I heard that somewhere or not. But it fits.
    Coach Summers calls him "Man Man," not sure if the nickname predated his time here or not, but it was mentioned last year, so that may be where you picked it up. No doubt he is a helluva ballplayer.
    Once won an argument with half

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

Similar Threads

  1. OUR and YOUR 1st Sun Belt Recruiting Rankings
    By Charlie K. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th February 2014, 07:01 PM
  2. SoCon Recruiting Class Rankings
    By Charlie K. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th February 2013, 10:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •