Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Default On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Happy Anniversary!!
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

And 3 years ago today we officially became an FBS school.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

3. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

4. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

I was working for the GS department that setup the event. The souvenir hunters were crazy. A bunch of banners and flags were stolen and some were taking our metal folding chairs. My boss's GS truck was stolen, but they did find it later on campus.

5. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

6. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

New tune for new 'U'
    By KEVIN HUDSON
    Summer Editor
    At least 70 years ago, someone who is today unknown wrote the lyrics to Georgia Southern's Alma Mater. As many Alma Maters do, the school song used the melody from Columbia University's theme song. School officials determined that a new university deserves a new song. Some, specially alumni, had mixed feelings about altering such a long-time symbol of the school, but most felt it was time for a "change of pace."

Submissions for the proposed new Alma Mater came from students, faculty and staff. The final decision was made by a committee of university administrators, faculty and staff, with some student input. We weren't sure that one song could do all the things the committee had set their hearts on," said Public Relations Director Sharon Fell, of the committee. "It seems that the words should capture both our humble beginnings and lofty aspirations, what Georgia Southern has stood for and struggled for in fulfilling our destiny. We hoped the music could be dignified, but keep the common touch—a melody most people hum, hymn-like, but spirited, touching but uplifting. And there were certain words—pine trees, eagle, and, of course, university—that had to be there."

The chosen version included music by faculty member Dr. David Mathew and lyrics by publications staff member Caryl Cain Brown. "What Dave and Caryl produced was extraordinary. Everything was there," commented Fell. "Georgia Southern has been such a big part of my life for so many years—since I was a child. I just tried to put down all the feelings and impressions that I've grown up with," said Brown.

The committee said they wanted something spirited and representative of the university," said Matthew. "The rhythm came largely from the text. I tried to create a tune and a chorus that expressed the words and the whole feeling of energy that the school has right now. Also, I wanted to make it a melody that is easy to listen to and sing." Matthew commented that the hardest part of putting the words to music was working around the most important word—university. The five-syllable word was one sound too long for the four beat measure, but Mathew found a solution that smoothed the word into the music, which gives the chorus a climatic upswing, just like re-living the unveiling of the new signs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Happy Anniversary!!
    I was in the very first graduating class of Georgia Southern University. I graduated Summer quarter 1990 and my diploma said University. My (future) wife graduated in Spring quarter and hers said College. That always bothered her.....one of the (very) few victories I can claim over her.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    New tune for new 'U'
    By KEVIN HUDSON
    Summer Editor
    At least 70 years ago, someone who is today unknown wrote the lyrics to Georgia Southern's Alma Mater. As many Alma Maters do, the school song used the melody from Columbia University's theme song. School officials determined that a new university deserves a new song. Some, specially alumni, had mixed feelings about altering such a long-time symbol of the school, but most felt it was time for a "change of pace."

Submissions for the proposed new Alma Mater came from students, faculty and staff. The final decision was made by a committee of university administrators, faculty and staff, with some student input. We weren't sure that one song could do all the things the committee had set their hearts on," said Public Relations Director Sharon Fell, of the committee. "It seems that the words should capture both our humble beginnings and lofty aspirations, what Georgia Southern has stood for and struggled for in fulfilling our destiny. We hoped the music could be dignified, but keep the common touch—a melody most people hum, hymn-like, but spirited, touching but uplifting. And there were certain words—pine trees, eagle, and, of course, university—that had to be there."

The chosen version included music by faculty member Dr. David Mathew and lyrics by publications staff member Caryl Cain Brown. "What Dave and Caryl produced was extraordinary. Everything was there," commented Fell. "Georgia Southern has been such a big part of my life for so many years—since I was a child. I just tried to put down all the feelings and impressions that I've grown up with," said Brown.

The committee said they wanted something spirited and representative of the university," said Matthew. "The rhythm came largely from the text. I tried to create a tune and a chorus that expressed the words and the whole feeling of energy that the school has right now. Also, I wanted to make it a melody that is easy to listen to and sing." Matthew commented that the hardest part of putting the words to music was working around the most important word—university. The five-syllable word was one sound too long for the four beat measure, but Mathew found a solution that smoothed the word into the music, which gives the chorus a climatic upswing, just like re-living the unveiling of the new signs.

Hail Southern!

9. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

I was there! They 'buried' the college.

10. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

New tune for new 'U'
    By KEVIN HUDSON
    Summer Editor

No lack of love for Georgia Southern in that family. Caryl Cain Brown helped write the alma mater and her, son, Alex is the longtime voice of Hanner.