Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

1. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

I think they should only award university status to schools if they have titty bars in town.

That's what I think.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

And that means....? Unless Statesboro has changed since the last time I was there about three months ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    I think they should only award university status to schools if they have titty bars in town.

That's what I think.

We became a university 27 years ago and the BOR has held us back ever since. The fact that this state has blown up in the same time period and we have not been elevated to research status is a joke. If you ever needed proof the BOR is basically GT's and mainly thUGA's protection board that is it. They basically are saying screw the people of GA we can get our post grads from Ohio and Mich to fill all the jobs that cant be met by GA graduates.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

4. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post

We became a university 27 years ago and the BOR has held us back ever since. The fact that this state has blown up in the same time period and we have not been elevated to research status is a joke. If you ever needed proof the BOR is basically GT's and nainly thUGA's protection board that is it. They basically are saying screw the people of GA we can get our post grads from Ohio and Mich to fill all the jobs that cant be met by GA graduates.
    Back before the 90's, being a university was highly regarded and Georgia Southern was fighting the good fight to achieve that status. As soon as we crossed the finish line, they moved the line back, made every school a "university" and now only research schools are highly regarded. No matter what we do, we can't get ahead. It's like being a minority in America.

We have to fight the good fight again and demand to be reclassified as a research institution. With this consolidation, our endowment should be triple what every other comprehensive university in the state gets. Ga Tech and UGA get billions. Ga State gets $180M. We should at least be getting $100M and should be reclassified.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Back before the 90's, being a university was highly regarded and Georgia Southern was fighting the good fight to achieve that status. As soon as we crossed the finish line, they moved the line back, made every school a "university" and now only research schools are highly regarded. No matter what we do, we can't get ahead. It's like being a minority in America.

We have to fight the good fight again and demand to be reclassified as a research institution. With this consolidation, our endowment should be triple what every other comprehensive university in the state gets. Ga Tech and UGA get billions. Ga State gets $180M. We should at least be getting $100M and should be reclassified.
    Except you can be President....leave that quasi political PC bull crap off this board.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post

On top of that, there is no research university that serves the bottom 2/3 of the state. Everything is in Atlanta or Athens. They've stovepiped research options in the state. I can understand the desire to deconflict so they're not funding similar research at multiple institutions, but there are lots of areas to grow. The coastal region alone offers unique opportunities in biology, engineering, and logistics. And with the port dredging project, there's likely about to be a rush of industry into the I-16 corridor near Savannah that will have no local research university to partner with.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

Most of the Elites in every small town and medium city in the state (Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Valdosta, Statesboro, Brunswick, etc) are UGA Alumni and see GS the same as Kennesaw, W Ga, Savannah St. They "own" their communities and spend weekends, holidays, and conferences in Atlanta and Athens being the Big Fish representative of their Southern Georgia pond.

I 16 is still 4 lanes after 40 years - that says a lot about priorities when Atlanta has been under construction non-stop since Sherman burned it.
    JW "Cliff" Williams

First GSC game 9/1/1984
    Recruiting Class 1987
    BS 1998
    M.Ed. 2015
    Statesboro. GA

8. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Except you can be President....leave that quasi political PC bull crap off this board.
    It's a line from a tv show. Unwad your panties, snowflake.

I was on campus for my freshman orientation that weekend. It was a great way to start out!!! A short aside..... my wife (we met at GSU and got married a year after graduation) was there for the orientation too and neither of us knew that we were both there at the same time until the anniversary of it came up in conversation the other day.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Kevin Jenny
    C/O '94
    BS - Building Construction and Contracting
    Lawrenceville, GA