Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

1. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post

I wonder why that sign is gone....I remember seeing it several years back-and it had been updated to show all our NCs, and then it was gone.

Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    New tune for new 'U'
    By KEVIN HUDSON
    Summer Editor
    At least 70 years ago, someone who is today unknown wrote the lyrics to Georgia Southern's Alma Mater. As many Alma Maters do, the school song used the melody from Columbia University's theme song. School officials determined that a new university deserves a new song. Some, specially alumni, had mixed feelings about altering such a long-time symbol of the school, but most felt it was time for a "change of pace."

Submissions for the proposed new Alma Mater came from students, faculty and staff. The final decision was made by a committee of university administrators, faculty and staff, with some student input. We weren't sure that one song could do all the things the committee had set their hearts on," said Public Relations Director Sharon Fell, of the committee. "It seems that the words should capture both our humble beginnings and lofty aspirations, what Georgia Southern has stood for and struggled for in fulfilling our destiny. We hoped the music could be dignified, but keep the common touch—a melody most people hum, hymn-like, but spirited, touching but uplifting. And there were certain words—pine trees, eagle, and, of course, university—that had to be there."

The chosen version included music by faculty member Dr. David Mathew and lyrics by publications staff member Caryl Cain Brown. "What Dave and Caryl produced was extraordinary. Everything was there," commented Fell. "Georgia Southern has been such a big part of my life for so many years—since I was a child. I just tried to put down all the feelings and impressions that I've grown up with," said Brown.

The committee said they wanted something spirited and representative of the university," said Matthew. "The rhythm came largely from the text. I tried to create a tune and a chorus that expressed the words and the whole feeling of energy that the school has right now. Also, I wanted to make it a melody that is easy to listen to and sing." Matthew commented that the hardest part of putting the words to music was working around the most important word—university. The five-syllable word was one sound too long for the four beat measure, but Mathew found a solution that smoothed the word into the music, which gives the chorus a climatic upswing, just like re-living the unveiling of the new signs.

Can the other music nerds spot the difference in rhythm of this alma mater and the one currently performed?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    Can the other music nerds spot the difference in rhythm of this alma mater and the one currently performed?
    The dotted eighth note and single sixteenth note in the second bar of the chorus is replaced with 4 sixteenth notes?

Also, I thought the first note in the 5th bar went up to a B instead of going down (that's the way I've sung it, I didn't know that it went down to a lower note).
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I remember how hard a lot of people worked to make that happen. Then in 1996 - Abracadabra! The USG granted "University" status to every 4 year "college" in the state and started calling the Vocational Technical schools "college". Carnegie Doctoral Research University status was earned later but the USG classifies us as a Comprehensive (Regional) University and our peers are Kennesaw, Valdosta, and West Georgia. This classification represents millions of dollars in state funding NOT coming to Georgia Southern while UGA, Tech, Augusta, and Ga State - in other words, North Georgia - receive the Lion's Share. I guess if you're from below the Gnat Line and want certain post-graduate degrees you have to move to Atlanta or Athens if you want a state education.
    JW "Cliff" Williams

First GSC game 9/1/1984
    Recruiting Class 1987
    BS 1998
    M.Ed. 2015
    Statesboro. GA

5. Default Re: On this day we became a "University" 27 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    I remember how hard a lot of people worked to make that happen. Then in 1996 - Abracadabra! The USG granted "University" status to every 4 year "college" in the state and started calling the Vocational Technical schools "college". Carnegie Doctoral Research University status was earned later but the USG classifies us as a Comprehensive (Regional) University and our peers are Kennesaw, Valdosta, and West Georgia. This classification represents millions of dollars in state funding NOT coming to Georgia Southern while UGA, Tech, Augusta, and Ga State - in other words, North Georgia - receive the Lion's Share. I guess if you're from below the Gnat Line and want certain post-graduate degrees you have to move to Atlanta or Athens if you want a state education.

I always despised the 'state university' designation that all those colleges got. Everyone knows that the word 'university' should be reserved for placed which issue Phd degrees. If they don't, they are NOT universities-and should not be allowed to use that word.

(Of course they also started calling jr colleges "college" and tech schools "technical college.")

Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The dotted eighth note and single sixteenth note in the second bar of the chorus is replaced with 4 sixteenth notes?

Also, I thought the first note in the 5th bar went up to a B instead of going down (that's the way I've sung it, I didn't know that it went down to a lower note).
    Ding ding ding. I know you meant eighth notes.

5th bar is indeed an Eb and not a Bb.

I arrived right after this on July 8th, 1990. Great memories and great people. Hopefully one day I'll be able to move back to Statesboro.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    I agree Cliff, It always miffed me that as soon as our hard fought battle was won for University status the BOR converted all 4 year colleges to universities .

27 years dang.......It seems like only a couple years ago. I was there when that happened. It was a big deal at the time to most of us.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Everyone knows that the word 'university' should be reserved for placed which issue Phd degrees. If they don't, they are NOT universities-and should not be allowed to use that word.
    Nationally, for a long time, there have been many many schools that did not award PhDs that were named a "university".