Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Financial report shows GS Athletics with surplus for 2016

Default Re: Financial report shows GS Athletics with surplus for 2016

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    The season certainly had highs and lows. Sparks of a decent team emerged at times. Only the App game final spread was an embarrassment with much of the point disparity occurring late with only 5 days to prepare after cross country travel. I'm not defending the OC situation as much as I'm pointing to the damage created by the mob behaving like spoiled kids impacting any potential to make solid decisions. Yes it was very bad at times but denying the negative impact of new staff, key injuries, and a difficult schedule is being remiss. Remiss is an understatement and the knowitalls on this board can be irritating. Despite the chest thumping we were not much better than our peers. Given the recruiting class the case could certainly be made that that would soon change. CG and CD are proven winners as "head coaches" and that's more than Fleck brought to the table with a 1 and 11 start. Recruiting may take a serious hit without those two. We need high school coaches on our team. The current situation is the reverse of helping.
    Uh, I hate how both coaches kind of got a raw deal with the situation they were put into, but that's a lot of apologizing for a lot of terrible decisions last year.

S&C was terrible.
    Players not "tough" enough so they need to kill each other in practice.
    Your star QB has a "personality" that frustrates the coach.
    OL coach that has no idea how to coach a team to run the ball.
    A DL coach that's supposed to be known for aggressive defense with a DL that can't generate pressure.
    Lack of tackling fundamentals.
    Lack of discipline on the field (mainly penalties).

The performance in the App game wasn't due to lack of time for preparation, it was from bad preparation. We looked the same as we did several weeks earlier against stAte, I even said to Klak during the App game when I refused to get mad that we were just doing the same bull**** we'd been doing up to that point.

We had a few extra days to prepare for Gast....and we couldn't stop a team from scoring 3 TD's in the first 8 minutes that had been averaging less than that per game for the entire season. We even admitted to having to abandon our defensive game plan because they had us figured out. We only generated 360 total in that game, when they were giving up 380 a game and had just given up 456 to ULM of all teams the week before.

You can talk about the impact of a new staff, but we had an example 2 years prior of a coach coming in and assembling a staff that took what we had currently on the roster and made them an even better team. Also, the team was fundamentally sound and very disciplined on the field with very few major injury problems. This was not a case of fans crying wolf, there were legitimate systemic problems last year that started in January and bloomed during the season. Let's not make this a bunch of revisionist history about how those guys could have been the saviors of our program.

This year looks completely different so far and could prove a turning point. Winning and getting national recognition will bring recruits around again. We also have a coach on staff who has a VERY good relationship with high schools in the state and is recognized as a very good recruiter. And if Cook can be the first coach in a long time to actually let a dual threat QB thrive here, then we will see QB's AND WR's gain interest, as well as likely a different crop of OL who don't want to just run block all the time and might have a more diverse skillset.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

How long could this lawsuit drag out? What can we do to make it go away? How do we save face? This is EXACTLY what concerned me most about the two joining the program. We gave them a shot and in CG's case "two shots" and he's now suing us. This totally inhales vigorously! Having an icon "young" high school coach and a coach on the same trail passing along their disappointment and frustrations all over Georgia is not good for the program long term. Whatever needs to be done to make this go away and mend the relationships is critical in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    How long could this lawsuit drag out? What can we do to make it go away? How do we save face? This is EXACTLY what concerned me most about the two joining the program. We gave them a shot and in CG's case "two shots" and he's now suing us. This totally inhales vigorously! Having an icon "young" high school coach and a coach on the same trail passing along their disappointment and frustrations all over Georgia is not good for the program long term. Whatever needs to be done to make this go away and mend the relationships is critical in my opinion.
    As soon as something goes as far as a lawsuit, the relationships are not going to be mended. CG won't be able to have much influence on recruits that are not at his school, and West Ga is not going to be recruiting the same kids we are. So the "damage" that they could personally do (if they even choose to do so) would be minimal at best. The lawsuits themselves may have more negative affect on us, but if they don't drag out and aren't continually on the front page that should be reduced as time goes on.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Kevin Jenny
    C/O '94
    BS - Building Construction and Contracting
    Lawrenceville, GA