Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Game

Default Last Game

Can Ga Southern play this season like they played against Troy? Can Summers get it done this time? Hope he's truly awake for his chance to shine and show his "Eagle Nation" why he's in that position! God bless him and all our players this year and don't forget "One More Time" GATA boys!

2. Default Re: Last Game

Quote Originally Posted by 81AUGUSTAEAGLE View Post
    Can Ga Southern play this season like they played against Troy? Can Summers get it done this time? Hope he's truly awake for his chance to shine and show his "Eagle Nation" why he's in that position! God bless him and all our players this year and don't forget "One More Time" GATA boys!
    IMO, no, that team had several experienced seniors, many in key positions, playing their last college game. Members of that team won a bowl game, SBC championship, at UF, etc. IMO it is not fair to compare the current team to them or hold them to the same expectations. However, this years team can certainly still do really well, win some games, and make their own name.

Default Re: Last Game

We threw everything and the kitchen sink at Troy offensively, and that slate is now pretty much clean, anyways. I'm more interested to see if that's going to be more representative of our defensive coaching going forward. That was the best defensive performance of the year without a doubt.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

Be your own biggest fan and your own harshest critic.

Yes.
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina

I do not believe it is unreasonable to expect improvement over last years record. CTS has been given a second chance and deserves our support. Failure to improve should be acknowledged and consequences accepted. Improvement should be likewise acknowledged and would deserve positive feedback. Those of us, myself included, should refrain from drawing conclusions after the first game.

In addition to an improvement on the record, I would also list the following as my own personal expectations:
    - Beat GA State. Game should be a blowout of epic proportions - Johnson C Smith style.
    - Beat App. Close/Blowout....I don't care. We've lost 5 out of the last 6. Time to get some back. Doing it there just adds to the sweetness.
    - Be competitive. I'll give a pass to the first game due to the quality of the opponent and the completely new staff and offense. But we should be competitive vs the rest - esp SBC opponents

I do not believe this is an unreasonable expectation.

Go Eagles! Go CTS! You have my support. GATA and draw blood.

6. Default Re: Last Game

I am excited to see what all the new players can do.

The last time we had a bunch of new guys, they took down UF and darn near got UGA and Tech. I hope our new guys are ready to make some noise.

We saw what a difference poor coaching made. Hopefully, the most important parts of that have been fixed.

The schedule is tough, but we have had that with new guys before. All we need to see are the basics. If our guys can run a decent option, just that will fry a bunch of teams. It's a force multiplier, and we should have coaches smart enough to use it now.

7. Default Re: Last Game

Quote Originally Posted by SwampEagle View Post
    I do not believe it is unreasonable to expect improvement over last years record. CTS has been given a second chance and deserves our support. Failure to improve should be acknowledged and consequences accepted. Improvement should be likewise acknowledged and would deserve positive feedback. Those of us, myself included, should refrain from drawing conclusions after the first game.

In addition to an improvement on the record, I would also list the following as my own personal expectations:
    - Beat GA State. Game should be a blowout of epic proportions - Johnson C Smith style.
    - Beat App. Close/Blowout....I don't care. We've lost 5 out of the last 6. Time to get some back. Doing it there just adds to the sweetness.
    - Be competitive. I'll give a pass to the first game due to the quality of the opponent and the completely new staff and offense. But we should be competitive vs the rest - esp SBC opponents

+1

8. Default Re: Last Game

Quote Originally Posted by SwampEagle View Post

Go Eagles! Go CTS! You have my support. GATA and draw blood.
    Why Not!

This team is going to be one of the youngest in the country with very few returning starters on the defensive side of the ball. Even if the defense had dominated last year I would have my concerns about how it was going to perform with this much turnover. The offense is learning a new scheme and is going to be very inexperienced at quarterback no matter who starts. I think it's unrealistic to try and compare that to a Troy game that was the last career game for one of the best senior classes if not the best senior class in Georgia Southern history and was led by a quarterback that I think was one of the best players in Georgia Southern history.

I have been as critical of Tyson Summers as any of the non-fanatical people on this board. But I also understand that this would be a tough assignment for any coach.

10. Default Re: Last Game

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    This team is going to be one of the youngest in the country with very few returning starters on the defensive side of the ball. Even if the defense had dominated last year I would have my concerns about how it was going to perform with this much turnover. The offense is learning a new scheme and is going to be very inexperienced at quarterback no matter who starts. I think it's unrealistic to try and compare that to a Troy game that was the last career game for one of the best senior classes if not the best senior class in Georgia Southern history and was led by a quarterback that I think was one of the best players in Georgia Southern history.

I have been as critical of Tyson Summers as any of the non-fanatical people on this board. But I also understand that this would be a tough assignment for any coach.
    There are challenges.

I am not expecting the moon and the stars, just competence. I want to see competent blocking and play calling. Those were huge weaknesses last year.

We get that fixed, and I think everything else will take care of itself.