Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Game

Default Re: Last Game

Troy game was an anomaly of 2016 and a welcome one. TS got his chance but he doesn't "deserve" anything until he earns it by removing the stink (which will take a while) of HIS 2016 performance. I hope we do well. We have some talent and we're young which means mistakes will happen on the field. If TS is doing his job, we should see competence Inc fundamental elements of the game like blocking. Our RB's ran into 2-5 defenders on most plays because some idiot stayed determined to Gap Block. Ball safety, route running, tackling, blocking,etc are all enhanced by teaching good technique. If that stuff doesn't improve, it's on the coaches.
    JW "Cliff" Williams

First GSC game 9/1/1984
    Recruiting Class 1987
    BS 1998
    M.Ed. 2015
    Statesboro. GA

2. Default Re: Last Game

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    There are challenges.

We get that fixed, and I think everything else will take care of itself.
    No, defense is a huge promblem. CTS and Mr Zo need humongous improvements. CTS made his past money as a defensive gura. If he can't improve our defense in a big way, how in the hell can he improve our team as HC? I'll remain optimistic, but always dig deep regarding inadequacies.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampEagle View Post
    I do not believe it is unreasonable to expect improvement over last years record. CTS has been given a second chance and deserves our support. Failure to improve should be acknowledged and consequences accepted. Improvement should be likewise acknowledged and would deserve positive feedback. Those of us, myself included, should refrain from drawing conclusions after the first game.

In addition to an improvement on the record, I would also list the following as my own personal expectations:
    - Beat GA State. Game should be a blowout of epic proportions - Johnson C Smith style.
    - Beat App. Close/Blowout....I don't care. We've lost 5 out of the last 6. Time to get some back. Doing it there just adds to the sweetness.
    - Be competitive. I'll give a pass to the first game due to the quality of the opponent and the completely new staff and offense. But we should be competitive vs the rest - esp SBC opponents

I do not believe this is an unreasonable expectation.

Go Eagles! Go CTS! You have my support. GATA and draw blood.
    Hail Yes!

4. Default Re: Last Game

You are probably right.

im just crossing my fingers at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    This team is going to be one of the youngest in the country with very few returning starters on the defensive side of the ball. Even if the defense had dominated last year I would have my concerns about how it was going to perform with this much turnover. The offense is learning a new scheme and is going to be very inexperienced at quarterback no matter who starts. I think it's unrealistic to try and compare that to a Troy game that was the last career game for one of the best senior classes if not the best senior class in Georgia Southern history and was led by a quarterback that I think was one of the best players in Georgia Southern history.

I have been as critical of Tyson Summers as any of the non-fanatical people on this board. But I also understand that this would be a tough assignment for any coach.
    The entire secondary is back on defense, and we have Chris Delarosa, Darius Sapp, and Logan Hunt up front. It's not like the defense is full of babies.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

Be your own biggest fan and your own harshest critic.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

The entire secondary is back on defense, and we have Chris Delarosa, Darius Sapp, and Logan Hunt up front. It's not like the defense is full of babies.
    And that secondary looks to be pretty good.
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina

Depth/experience is my concern.

I think we have the players at LB, but they're green.

We're very thin on DL (especially DE), and while we have good safeties we need another CB or two to play his way into the rotation.

To be honest, if our current DTs (I'm looking at you, Sapp, Bush, Copeland, and Phillips) can step it up, DE is the only place where we'll need young guys to play over their heads.

That's assuming, of course, that the signees from 2015 and 2016 (especially at LB) aren't busts.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

That's three out of seven spots. I think the secondary can be really good if somebody emerges to fill Darius Jones' spot. That still doesn't account for the lack of experience on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Depth/experience is my concern.

I think we have the players at LB, but they're green.

We're very thin on DL (especially DE), and while we have good safeties we need another CB or two to play his way into the rotation.

To be honest, if our current DTs (I'm looking at you, Sapp, Bush, Copeland, and Phillips) can step it up, DE is the only place where we'll need young guys to play over their heads.

That's assuming, of course, that the signees from 2015 and 2016 (especially at LB) aren't busts.

We have 4 sophomore corners who all played a lot last year. How many CB's do you expect us to play?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    That's three out of seven spots. I think the secondary can be really good if somebody emerges to fill Darius Jones' spot. That still doesn't account for the lack of experience on offense.

All 5 OL starters should have atleast 1 year starting experience. Ramsby has 400 career carries. Fields has 200 career carries. Campbell is a 5th year senior. We have a good bit of experience on offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.