Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Game

Default Re: Last Game

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    We have 4 sophomore corners who all played a lot last year. How many CB's do you expect us to play?
    I think we need five or six ready to go, especially if we plan to use a legit nickel corner this season.

All 5 OL starters should have atleast 1 year starting experience. Ramsby has 400 career carries. Fields has 200 career carries. Campbell is a 5th year senior. We have a good bit of experience on offense.
    Yep. We have a whole lot of athletes at WR, too.

If we can develop a strong second unit onthe OL and get top-notch play out of our QB, then we're in VERY good shape on offense.

For me, there are only three questions (in no particular order):

1) Will we get star-level performance at QB?
    2) Can we field an effective group of DEs?
    3) Can Tyson Summers coach? (I don't mean the peripherals. I mean game-planning and making good in-game decisions)

This team has a tremendous amount of upside, but those are legit concerns. The answers could make the difference between 5-7 and 9-3.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

If we can develop a strong second unit onthe OL and get top-notch play out of our QB, then we're in VERY good shape on offense.

3) Can Tyson Summers coach? (I don't mean the peripherals. I mean game-planning and making good in-game decisions)

This team has a tremendous amount of upside, but those are legit concerns. The answers could make the difference between 5-7 and 9-3.
    Your post hints at my concern, DE's and our ability to pressure the QB. You seem OK with our LB's but I have some concerns there. Will a couple of them step up and be "monsters"? Over the last number of years we've had some outstanding LB's.

I think we need five or six ready to go, especially if we plan to use a legit nickel corner this season.

Nobody goes 5-6 deep at CB. Even the "big boys".
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

If the starting OL doesn't get hurt then we can have absolute duds on the 2nd team and it won't matter.

If we stay healthy it's really going to come down to QB play. Because every other piece is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

6. Default Re: Last Game

Nobody goes 5-6 deep at CB. Even the "big boys".
    I don't know that it's accurate to think that no schools have 5-6 corners ready to play when so many teams are basing out of nickel. If we count nickel corners as "corners" you basically have to have 5-6 from a practical standpoint.

If you don't count nickel guys as "corners" then I see your point. Especially since Summers seems to like using a big LB/safety hybrid as a SAM/Nickel player. However, under Jack Curtis, we were using real corner-type players at that nickel spot. I guess it really depends on scheme.

We already have 4 ready to play alot. It won't be that hard to find 2 more to provide "depth"

If the starting OL doesn't get hurt then we can have absolute duds on the 2nd team and it won't matter.

If we stay healthy it's really going to come down to QB play. Because every other piece is there.
    No one stays healthy, though.

The bolded part is an opinion I wholeheartedly share.

Yesterday I was able to put together a three-deep on offense (excluding OL) that would probably change a lot of the professionals' pre-season predictions (at least the ones who saw Fields and Ramsby run behind a competent line).

Defense is not as deep/good, but it's plenty talented, with one major area of concern.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

I would argue we're more talented and just as deep at DB now as we were in 2015 when we used nickel sets quite often.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

Be your own biggest fan and your own harshest critic.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Your post hints at my concern, DE's and our ability to pressure the QB. You seem OK with our LB's but I have some concerns there. Will a couple of them step up and be "monsters"? Over the last number of years we've had some outstanding LB's.
    To me, LB is a lot like DB last season.

We brought back one senior and played a lot of young talent. This year, Delarosa should be able to anchor things at LB like Jones did at CB last season.

We should be able to find another couple of starters from a group that includes Byrd, Delesline, Bradley, Wade, Murray, Ecton, Reese, and Allen.

We shouldn't need NFL players at every position to be good on defense, but I suppose that's another conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I would argue we're more talented and just as deep at DB now as we were in 2015 when we used nickel sets quite often.
    We are talented. We also have enough players at the moment.

However, what happens if a projected starter or two gets seriously injured or somehow winds up ineligible? What we're missing are some Rayquan Sam types: upper-classmen who can play in a pinch if necessary.

Again, that's nowhere near the top of my list of concerns. It's not an issue if we stay healthy.