Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: What is your Record Prediction for 2017?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Record Prediction Poll

1. Default Re: 2017 Record Prediction Poll

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Sad thing is the FPI is a terrible indicator for any team not in the SEC.

I haven't checked Bill Connelly's ranking yet, but his analysis is typically a lot better, especially for teams at our level.
    We are #98 in S&P+ and I think in the 4-5 win range.

Default Re: 2017 Record Prediction Poll

Quote Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
    We are #98 in S&P+ and I think in the 4-5 win range.
    There should be another update prior to the beginning of the season once the rosters firm up a bit, I think that one is still based on the end of the year (although I could be wrong).

That's pretty much in line with where we finished last year though. He also does an updated second order wins calculation in the advanced box score of every game which is pretty telling as well.

Assuming we have a good performance at the beginning of the year, we should rocket up the rankings again much like we did in 2014 as the **** data from 2016 is replaced by "good" data in 2017.

I just can't use the FPI as the basis for anything. It's so obviously skewed to the SEC that pretty much every other conference is at a disadvantage in the ranking.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

I'll say 6-6, and then hope for better. Depending on how the offense develops I could easily see us going 8-4 if Cook & Co. can get it clicking pretty well. Anything less than 6 wins, and I don't see how Summers makes it to year #3. He's already the first GS coach to ever return after posting a losing record. It's doubtful he'd be back if he does it twice. (Of course, I'd love to be completely wrong about the 6-6 and see us go 11-1 while posting a 63-3 beat-down of GState!!! GATA!!!)
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Head 7-5 heart 9-3. I like that we have two early bye weeks for this year only and our FCS game is early as well. Just wish we could flip ArkSt with Coastal on the schedule.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

5. Default Re: 2017 Record Prediction Poll

I waffled back and forth between a 8-4 and 9-3 season. I could see how Billy Bob came to 8-4, but ultimately cast my vote for 9-3. Perhaps it is the eternal optimist in me looking through true blue colored glasses, but I feel a 9-3 is very doable if things fall into place the way I hope.

I look back on the 5-7 2016 and see we lost 3 games by 7 points or less and loss 2 others by 10/11 points. If our offense had put up an additional touchdown in those games and not had as many 3 and outs (those wore down our defense too much), then 3 of those 5 would have been wins. That is how close we were to being 8-4 despite not being a very good team last year.

Although I know what we lost to graduation, I believe we have some strong talent ready to step up this year. I think having Auburn and NH as the first two games will have us at 1-1 with two games under the belts of these youngsters in time for IU, UMASS, and the Sunbelt games. Ultimately I think we will see a return to our option run roots and see the number of "3 and outs" drop to more in our favor as in years past. This will help our defense and wear the opponents down, which is what we have historically done.

Win 3 of these 5: Auburn, Indiana, App State, Arkansas State, Troy
    Win 6 of these 7: UMass, UNH, NMSU, Georgia State, South Alabama, ULL, Coastal Carolina
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

Lookin at the schedule I can't imagine us winning less than 7 games.
    But I also thought we would 10 last year so my predictions are not to be trusted.

I voted 6-6, surprised by all the optimism. Hope yall are more right than me.
    Once won an argument with half

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

8. Default Re: 2017 Record Prediction Poll

I went 6-6. One of those Ws BETTER be Gag. If we lose that one, TK and TS absolutely should be fired. Any more loses to those butt pirates would be unacceptable.

9. Default Re: 2017 Record Prediction Poll

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I went 6-6. One of those Ws BETTER be Gag. If we lose that one, TK and TS absolutely should be fired. Any more loses to those butt pirates would be unacceptable.
    I will not physically survive another consecutive loss to that school.

We win one we should lose and lose one we should have won and go 7-5
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me