Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you?

Default Would you?

This is not based on any info inside or otherwise, just a random thought I had driving home, and I have no idea what type of restrictions there might be on this if any.

Would you be ok with changing the name of Paulson to that of a corporate sponsor for a nice financial commitment?

How much $ would it take? Would it have to be hyphenated, or preserving the Paulson name somehow?

Just curious where people stand on this. (Off-season thread, lol)
    Once won an argument with half

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

Default Re: Would you?

If Tampax wants to pay enough money and call it the tampon bowl, I'm game.

I would say if a donor could match what Allen Paulson donated in the early 80s adjusted for inflation then that should be sufficient.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

3. Default Re: Would you?

Dr Pepper-Top Ramen-Dollar Menu Stadium on the campus of Walmart Supercenters Southern University and tire

I'm a traditionalist. I typically hate all things new - monkeying around with uni's, facemasks, school buses, potent offensive schemes, chicken joints, bbq, the planetary status of Pluto are all sources of ire for me, usually.

However.....I'm also a capitalist. Every inch of visible space on my vehicle is for rent as well as most of my skin. Money talks and SwampEagle listens. I may be a ho, but not a cheap ho. That being said.....if the right price was there....and {NOTE CAVEAT} if it could be done tastefully, this would exclude the Tampax example mentioned above, I would not object to changing Allen E Paulson stadium to a corporate type name. I mean, if you think about it, they didn't name it Allen E Paulson stadium b/c he didn't give money to the school.......

5. Default Re: Would you?

Personally, I have no problem with a name change in exchange for significant funding. Where I have a problem is when the stadium name changes every few years. I would hate to see Paulson become Sprint Stadium, and then Verizon Stadium in two years, AT&T two years after that, etc., etc.

IMOP - and it's just one and I could be alone.

I believe that when you give out naming rights - it should be forever.

I think sometimes a man or family may make a donation decision based on honoring their father or their own name because they want to leave a legacy or mark on something. I think that when you give enough to have a stadium named after you - you envision your grandchildren and great grandchildren going to games there and remembering you or even having people tell those you never got to met about you. If you tear it down and start over - then it's different. But I don't think you can remove a man's name from something like this without hurting potential future project donations.

Now I can see for instance the "Good Year Eagle DecK" - which would be a great spot to list all the championships/conference/National and bowls. (you know, highlight our "good years" - thus associating the donor with a "winner")

Or A larger declaration of the football stadium area being named... something like "Southern Company Sports Complex" encompassing Glenn Bryant Field/Allen E. Paulson Stadium,Ted Smith Family Football Center,Bishop Field House, Cowart Building Athletics Ticket Office, etc.

TV announcers.. "Where here at the beautiful Southern Company Sports Complex in the warm city of Statesboro Georgia - just about ready to get the action going tonight and Allen E. Paulson Stadium IS ROCKING as the Eagles make their way onto Glenn Bryant Field to face the Mountaineers of Appalachian state - It's going to be a good one tonight!"

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    IMOP - and it's just one and I could be alone.

I believe that when you give out naming rights - it should be forever.

I think sometimes a man or family may make a donation decision based on honoring their father or their own name because they want to leave a legacy or mark on something. I think that when you give enough to have a stadium named after you - you envision your grandchildren and great grandchildren going to games there and remembering you or even having people tell those you never got to met about you. If you tear it down and start over - then it's different. But I don't think you can remove a man's name from something like this without hurting potential future project donations.

Now I can see for instance the "Good Year Eagle DecK" - which would be a great spot to list all the championships/conference/National and bowls. (you know, highlight our "good years" - thus associating the donor with a "winner")

Or A larger declaration of the football stadium area being named... something like "Southern Company Sports Complex" encompassing Glenn Bryant Field/Allen E. Paulson Stadium,Ted Smith Family Football Center,Bishop Field House, Cowart Building Athletics Ticket Office, etc.

TV announcers.. "Where here at the beautiful Southern Company Sports Complex in the warm city of Statesboro Georgia - just about ready to get the action going tonight and Allen E. Paulson Stadium IS ROCKING as the Eagles make their way onto Glenn Bryant Field to face the Mountaineers of Appalachian state - It's going to be a good one tonight!"
    I believe the entire area around the stadium is referred to as the"Erk Russell Athletic Park" or similar. Could be wrong though
    Once won an argument with half

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

If mega downer drops enough to rename the stadium there are other ways to honer those who previously gave that recognize the significance of the gift. I doubt any of them would object. Certainly there should be permanent recognition but turning away that kind of donation would be nuts.

9. Default Re: Would you?

Take the $$$. Name it whatever

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    If mega downer drops enough to rename the stadium there are other ways to honer those who previously gave that recognize the significance of the gift. I doubt any of them would object. Certainly there should be permanent recognition but turning away that kind of donation would be nuts.
    Serious question not being a jerk, what are some other ways that you have in mind?