SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The first Auburn game

Default Re: The first Auburn game

Last edited by oldfart; 17th July 2017 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Atleast 7-5 with a legit shot at 8-4.

Only chance of this team winning less than 6 games is if it's ravenged by injuries. Anybody predicting 4 wins or some crap like that is clueless. Post Arkansas St game is going to be fun around here to watch the crow being eaten. Heck, even post UNH is going to provide some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    I wonder if today's fight will have repercussions reaching into our game?
    ??? sorry if I'm being dense, but I have no idea what this is referring to...
    Once won an argument with half

I'll just have to defer to you on that.

The memory that I have of the game was that when were leaving the stadium we got a lot of kudos from their fans for being a good team and good fans. One guy that was sitting near us put it very well when he said that "your (GSU) 22 beat our (Auburn) 22, but our 85 beat your 63." Basically, the only thing that allowed them to win that day was their depth.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    ??? sorry if I'm being dense, but I have no idea what this is referring to...
    Some Auburn players apparently got into it with a fraternity. Can't find much about it since the SEC leads the universe in allowing coaches/programs to dictate what information is allowed to be released.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    Some Auburn players apparently got into it with a fraternity. Can't find much about it since the SEC leads the universe in allowing coaches/programs to dictate what information is allowed to be released.
    Oh thanks, better them than us.
    Once won an argument with half

I'll just have to defer to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    August 31, 1991, I was sitting in the corner of Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium, looking up at a scoreboard late in the second quarter and seeing............... Georgia Southern 17, Auburn 0, and it should have been 24-0.

Coming off back-to-back I-AA National Championships, but missing much of the talent that led them to those titles, the Eagles walked into the Tigers den and had a chance to pull off the upset.
    This should have been the Swamp, just a few decades earlier.
    Going to the game with my best friend we got there way too early and had plenty of time to wander around near the stadium, both of us decked out in Georgia Southern clothes and hats. Few of the Auburn fans noticed us, we had one really drunk frat boy say something to us, but I think that was more the booze talking
    than anything else. We did get stopped by a few Auburn fans that wanted to know what Southern was all about, and when we said option football most of them either rolled their eyes and walked off, or said we used to run that and I miss it.
    Before the game, as the stands started to fill up we noticed how many Southern fans were at the game. Our corner of the field and part of the endzone was full of Southern fans and like always we were a loud bunch even in pregame.
    But the loudest moment pregame was when Erk Russell came out on the field, holding up the cheerleaders GSU flag and started waving it. The Southern fans roared, and the Auburn fans had no idea at the time that was a Auburn grad doing that for a visiting team.
    The first play of the game for Auburn's offense was both a reminder that these Eagles came to play and what would eventually prove to be the Eagles downfall.
    Auburn had said all pre-season that they were going to throw the ball more and be a more modern offense. Auburn came out on the first play of the game in the shotgun and Stan White got the snap cleanly and then almost as fast was sacked by Michael Berry our 210 pound Defensive end.
    The stadium was alive and loud when Auburn came out in the gun, and that loud stadium went quiet, except for the Eagles fans, as Berry drug White to the ground.
    That small Eagle line gave Auburn's pass blocking fits for much of the first half.
    At halftime, Auburn got booed off their home field which was impressive, but the most impressive thing was about halfway through the halftime, the sprinker system moved the sprinker heads to where it was aimed at the Eagle fans. This was just a few years after they had to turn on the sprinkers to get Georgia fans off the field after a win and I know that they knew we would have been on the field had we won.
    In the second half the Auburn run game, mostly their fullback, just beat on our small defense and wore them down. Auburn won 32-17 in what was Pat Dye's final year as head coach with the Tigers.
    After the game, stuck in some really bad traffic, listening to the post-game show on the radio, every call by a fan was the same, they started off saying why are we scheduling a team that good to start the season with, followed by a few comments on the Eagles then the blasting of the Auburn team would start. We listed to that for about an hour until they stopped taking calls.
    There were moments in that game where the Eagles should have had them. Auburn blocked a field goal attempt, and the Eagles had a score called back on a penalty, the score should have been 24-0 at the half.
    The things that stand out about that game though are clear in my mind. Seeing Erk waving that GSU flag, learning just how tough QB Charles Bostick was, as he took knockout shot after knockout shot in that game and kept getting up, and hearing the home fans boo their team off the field, I never let my friends who are Auburn fan's forget that.
    The thing about that game was no one knew what to expect. Would Auburn be just too much for the Eagles? Could the Eagles even score against the better talent?
    That night showed what I have always loved about the Eagles program. Sure I had seen two National Championships in 89 and 90, that game made me a fan for life.
    WE NEVER GAVE UP.
    You see talented teams give up all the time. You see really good teams just buckle and the players just become a step slower as the game goes on.
    That night in south Alabama the Eagles never gave up, they got out-talented and out-sized, but they never stopped.
    That is the Georgia Southern I want to see again this year.
    Last year is over, we all know the issues, we all know that mistakes were made by the coaching staff, but that is all over now.
    LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES EAGLES.
    Lets go into Auburn and shock the Tigers again, but this time I think 35-21 Eagles is a good goal. We need to even up the series.
    that was my first game as a student. I remember that endzone well. It was full of Eagles and bourbon. We represented well.

8. Default Re: The first Auburn game

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehoopsfan View Post
    I remember listening to the game on the radio. What I didn't remember is that it was 1991. For some reason I thought it was a few years earlier.

Didn't Southern drop a sure pick six right before the half?
    Yep. Rodney Oglesby, who was a (dang) good player and (dang) good dude.

9. Default Re: The first Auburn game

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    August 31, 1991, I was sitting in the corner of Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium, looking up at a scoreboard late in the second quarter and seeing............... Georgia Southern 17, Auburn 0, and it should have been 24-0.

Coming off back-to-back I-AA National Championships, but missing much of the talent that led them to those titles, the Eagles walked into the Tigers den and had a chance to pull off the upset.
    This should have been the Swamp, just a few decades earlier.
    Going to the game with my best friend we got there way too early and had plenty of time to wander around near the stadium, both of us decked out in Georgia Southern clothes and hats. Few of the Auburn fans noticed us, we had one really drunk frat boy say something to us, but I think that was more the booze talking
    than anything else. We did get stopped by a few Auburn fans that wanted to know what Southern was all about, and when we said option football most of them either rolled their eyes and walked off, or said we used to run that and I miss it.
    Before the game, as the stands started to fill up we noticed how many Southern fans were at the game. Our corner of the field and part of the endzone was full of Southern fans and like always we were a loud bunch even in pregame.
    But the loudest moment pregame was when Erk Russell came out on the field, holding up the cheerleaders GSU flag and started waving it. The Southern fans roared, and the Auburn fans had no idea at the time that was a Auburn grad doing that for a visiting team.
    The first play of the game for Auburn's offense was both a reminder that these Eagles came to play and what would eventually prove to be the Eagles downfall.
    Auburn had said all pre-season that they were going to throw the ball more and be a more modern offense. Auburn came out on the first play of the game in the shotgun and Stan White got the snap cleanly and then almost as fast was sacked by Michael Berry our 210 pound Defensive end.
    The stadium was alive and loud when Auburn came out in the gun, and that loud stadium went quiet, except for the Eagles fans, as Berry drug White to the ground.
    That small Eagle line gave Auburn's pass blocking fits for much of the first half.
    At halftime, Auburn got booed off their home field which was impressive, but the most impressive thing was about halfway through the halftime, the sprinker system moved the sprinker heads to where it was aimed at the Eagle fans. This was just a few years after they had to turn on the sprinkers to get Georgia fans off the field after a win and I know that they knew we would have been on the field had we won.
    In the second half the Auburn run game, mostly their fullback, just beat on our small defense and wore them down. Auburn won 32-17 in what was Pat Dye's final year as head coach with the Tigers.
    After the game, stuck in some really bad traffic, listening to the post-game show on the radio, every call by a fan was the same, they started off saying why are we scheduling a team that good to start the season with, followed by a few comments on the Eagles then the blasting of the Auburn team would start. We listed to that for about an hour until they stopped taking calls.
    There were moments in that game where the Eagles should have had them. Auburn blocked a field goal attempt, and the Eagles had a score called back on a penalty, the score should have been 24-0 at the half.
    The things that stand out about that game though are clear in my mind. Seeing Erk waving that GSU flag, learning just how tough QB Charles Bostick was, as he took knockout shot after knockout shot in that game and kept getting up, and hearing the home fans boo their team off the field, I never let my friends who are Auburn fan's forget that.
    The thing about that game was no one knew what to expect. Would Auburn be just too much for the Eagles? Could the Eagles even score against the better talent?
    That night showed what I have always loved about the Eagles program. Sure I had seen two National Championships in 89 and 90, that game made me a fan for life.
    WE NEVER GAVE UP.
    You see talented teams give up all the time. You see really good teams just buckle and the players just become a step slower as the game goes on.
    That night in south Alabama the Eagles never gave up, they got out-talented and out-sized, but they never stopped.
    That is the Georgia Southern I want to see again this year.
    Last year is over, we all know the issues, we all know that mistakes were made by the coaching staff, but that is all over now.
    LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES EAGLES.
    Lets go into Auburn and shock the Tigers again, but this time I think 35-21 Eagles is a good goal. We need to even up the series.
    I was stationed in Germany at the time and swear they aired at least the second half of this game on Armed Forces Network.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    Noted it in another thread, but I haven't seen anything reputable about this actually being Auburn players even on boards where people normally have the bad stories up quickly with details. It could have happened, but the one thread I've seen on it is full of folks talking about how they don't recognize a single player in the video. It could have happened, absolutely, but there hasn't been anything on it that I've seen in the last few days and normally stories like that have all the details on the Auburn boards by now.
    Avatar = True Blue sign, standing under the Bill Clinton statue in Pristina, Kosovo, and smoking a cigar.

-Walt Austin, Forgotten5.com