Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Then you need to actually look at the records from G5 teams near the 70's and 90's+ because there is a distinct difference in winning...Oh boy another individual example when there are 130 FBS teams....joy. Like I said after running a spread sheet App is an outlier the only one with that low of rating to even share a conf title much less have a winning record or go to a bowl. Now tell me about that one recruit that was not ranked that made the NFL to top it off. The MAC and Sun Belt from top to bottom are not that far apart in talent or on field results. In case you missed it our conf champ lost to an FCS team.
    I'm not talking about a single two-star guy that got drafted in the early round. Here's the national rank of Toledo and App's recruiting classes.
    2013: App 125, Toledo 76
    2014: App 87, Toledo 94
    2015: App 114, Toledo 84
    2016: App 109, Toledo 88
    And like I said, it's just not just that they won, but that there was no clear talent differential between the two teams.

If you'd like I could also make a comparison to Ark State and UCF. Ark State has been in the 90s of recruiting rankings while UCF is in the 60s and 70s.

Here's a question for you....are you confident that if I gave the 247 guys two different tapes of the same guy and told them one was committed to a Sun Belt team and the other to an AAC or lower-level Power 5 program, are you confident they'd give them the same rating? I'm not at all confident, and the fact that you can show a relation between composite recruiting rankings and national rankings doesn't do a thing to disprove that.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Isn't the December early signing period in effect this season?
    Yes. I think so. An App fan mentioned that their coaches are basically saying "Don't commit to us if you're not interested in signing in December."

I don't know how true that is though.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Keeping recruiting details out of the public eye seems to be Summers' preference.

Last summer was the same. Somehow, we still cobbled together a pretty good class (on paper) that seems to fit our needs (on paper).

My chief concerns when we take things down to the wire like that are that we're possibly not getting our top targets, and that recruits who wait so late to commit may be less likely to be "college ready" (I don't mean athletically).

While I like the skill players we signed, I'm almost certain that we lost several priority recruits to FSU, UConn, and Auburn at the last minute. Maybe even Tulane.
    Last edited by pete4256; 21st July 2017 at 01:13 PM.

4. Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm almost certain that we lost several priority recruits to FSU, UConn, and Auburn at the last minute. Maybe even Tulane.
    That's the nature of the beast called college football recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Keeping recruiting details out of the public eye seems to be Summers' preference.

Last summer was the same. Somehow, we still cobbled together a pretty good class (on paper) that seems to fit our needs (on paper).

My chief concerns when we take things down to the wire like that are that we're possibly not getting our top targets, and that recruits who wait so late to commit may be less likely to be "college ready" (I don't mean athletically).

While I like the skill players we signed, I'm almost certain that we lost several priority recruits to FSU, UConn, and Auburn at the last minute. Maybe even Tulane.
    I don't really anticipate us to have an up-tick in recruiting anyway until mid season (because of last year's shenanigans), and thats ONLY if we start winning games.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAlum View Post

Yes. I think so. An App fan mentioned that their coaches are basically saying "Don't commit to us if you're not interested in signing in December."

I don't know how true that is though.
    They might say that but wait until a prize recruit lets that day go by without signing, they will still go after him.

7. Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

Do you hope the new early signing period might change that?

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    Do you hope the new early signing period might change that?
    I have no idea.

The two dates may give P5s more time to sift through "our" guys for their fall-back plans.

I have a feeling that if Whitlow stays eligible at Auburn we'll be kicking ourselves (more so than losing Crowder to UGA and the DE to Nebraska a couple of years back). I'm not too bummed about losing the RB to FSU (I mean, Walker and Laroche will be stars for us), but I think we'll regret the QBs who went to UConn and Tulane.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

Question for me is will we run the true flex now or will we continue to do some shotgun and throw some. The old flx i loved but i liked the shotgun option better and thing it gives us a better chance of playing with an Auburn. Only reason i bring it up is because they may do one thing in spring, with these new staffs, but another in the fall. I hope we can combine and mix it up some. That would be great.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

Quote Originally Posted by parr90 View Post
    Question for me is will we run the true flex now or will we continue to do some shotgun and throw some. The old flx i loved but i liked the shotgun option better and thing it gives us a better chance of playing with an Auburn. Only reason i bring it up is because they may do one thing in spring, with these new staffs, but another in the fall. I hope we can combine and mix it up some. That would be great.
    Cook is already on record saying we'll likely be in shotgun most of the time, this season.