SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Default Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Pretend for a minute that it's December 2009 and we've just fired Chris Hatcher. There are two apparent finalists for the job, Candidate #1 and Candidate #2.

Candidate #1: Long-time Paul Johnson assistant (including a stint at Georgia Southern) coaching running backs and currently a top offensive assistant for him. Coached high school for a year in Illinois and coached wide receivers and tight ends at a MAC school.

Candidate #2: Coached with Paul Johnson for four seasons as a top offensive assistant. Coached at a second-tier FCS program running an option offense four seasons and had (presumably) a true OC role with some statistically pretty good results. Before that he was a head coach at a military prep school and put a couple of good seasons together.

Now which one would you prefer? You can probably figure out who these two guys are, but that's okay. Back in 2009 we would've been giddy to have a reputable defensive coach running the show and an OC that might normally be a head-coaching candidate, don't you think?
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

This doesn't change my outlook. I was very optimistic heading into last season with Tyson. This is his nut up or shut up season.

I fail to see how this premise relates to current day.

4. Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Pretend for a minute that it's December 2009 and we've just fired Chris Hatcher. There are two apparent finalists for the job, Candidate #1 and Candidate #2.
    Smells fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    I think he's saying that we were thrilled with the Monken hire and generally pleased with his performance, and that Cook's resume today trumps Monken's back then, which I think is true. Ergo, we should all have reason to be little more upbeat about this season having having a 'super-Monken' as our OC with a defensive HC focused on the D. This sort of mirrors the basis for my cautious optimism regarding our outlook.

I can see, however, how some would point out that that was 8 years and a subdivision ago, and since the landscape has become much more treacherous in the meantime, it may not be an apples/apples comparison (and it doesn't do anything to convince the CTS-haters about his ability to helm the ship).

For my part, I'm frankly still amazed and thrilled that we were able to assemble this 'Summers Staff 2.0' and can't envision a more ideal scenario given that CTS was sure to be retained.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

I don't think Cook's resume trumps Monken's.

The biggest difference is that Monken knew coming in what it takes to win at Georgia Southern. He coached here for five years and continued to recruit Georgia for eight years afterward. That's thirteen years as PJ's "bad cop" (shudders).

But the biggest weakness with BillyBob's line of reasoning is that Monken was hired to be our head coach. Cook was hired to be our OC. That's an apples/oranges comparison. Success ultimately depends on Summers, not Cook. HC and OC are two different jobs requiring two different skill-sets.

BTW, Cook was technically Co-OC at Cal-Poly, though he apparently did call the plays.

I could argue that Bent Davis, Mitch Ware, and C. Ray Gregory all had as much or more OC success as Cook has had.

Of course, both Bodine and Wood have also had success in that role.
    Last edited by pete4256; 18th July 2017 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I don't think Cook's resume trumps Monken's.

The biggest difference is that Monken knew coming in what it takes to win at Georgia Southern. He coached here for six years and continued to recruit Georgia for eight years afterward. That's fourteen years as PJ's "bad cop" (shudders).

But the biggest weakness with BillyBob's line of reasoning is that Monken was hired to be our head coach. Cook was hired to be our OC. That's an apples/oranges comparison. Success ultimately depends on Summers, not Cook. HC amd OC are two different jobs requiring two different skill-sets.

BTW, Cook was technically Co-OC at Cal-Poly, though he apparently did call the plays.

I could argue that Bent Davis, Mitch Ware, and C. Ray Gregory all had as much or more OC success as Cook has had.

Of course, both Bodine and Wood have also had success in that role.
    Well, aren't we're going on the assumption here that Cook is the associate head coach in charge of offense here rather than just being an OC like Doug Ruse and Mike Sewak when they were here?

And would you take 2005 Mitch Ware or 2010 Brent Davis over 2016 Brian Cook? Did Ware even coach the option at Missouri State?

Understand I'm not saying I definitely think Cook had a better resume in 2016 than Monken did in 2010, but it's hard for me to say if this were 2009 we'd take Monken over Cook without at least thinking about it some.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

The buck stopped with Monken. We have no idea where or if the buck will stop with anybody going into this year. I'm not mad at Billybob for trying to make people think, especially those of us who maintain a less rosy outlook about the current state of things, but I just don't think it's a very thoughtful exercise for the reasons Pete mentioned in his 3rd line.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Well, aren't we're going on the assumption here that Cook is the associate head coach in charge of offense here rather than just being an OC like Doug Ruse and Mike Sewak when they were here?

And would you take 2005 Mitch Ware or 2010 Brent Davis over 2016 Brian Cook? Did Ware even coach the option at Missouri State?

Understand I'm not saying I definitely think Cook had a better resume in 2016 than Monken did in 2010, but it's hard for me to say if this were 2009 we'd take Monken over Cook without at least thinking about it some.
    I'm talking about when Monken hired Mitch Ware as his QB coach in 2010. Ware had four years of OC experience at the pinnacle of I-AA.

I would have taken Monken based on his previous experience at GS. He knew what a b.a. Eagles squad looked like and how to build one. He'd been an integral part of that process in the past.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

10. Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    +1

Back in 2009 we were in FCS SoCon.