SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Cook and Bodine are the only reasons I have any optimism for 2017.
    Yes, but with Bodine I'm keeping an eye on how we block in this system. Are we a zone team or a man blocking team. That's the mystery for me. I know he's a good OL coach and have confidence we will get push up there, but what's the best way in the gun vs under center option attack, I'll be watching that. What do y'all think?
    Go Eagles!!

2. Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Cook and Bodine are the only reasons I have any optimism for 2017.
    Yep, the offense looks extremely positive. Cook and Bodine combined have at least 6 years of prior OC experience. Expectations are rightfully encouraging and should get us back to where we belong. I think Bodine always coaches run blocking first rather than prioritizing pass blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    C. Ray Gregory ... where is he now?
    I think he's a HS administrator and assistant coach in Texas or somewhere. He probably makes more doing that than he made at GS.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    C. Ray Gregory ... where is he now?

PJ told me nearly 20 years ago he thought Monken would make a good head coach one day.

I wasn't overly enthused going into year one of the CTS era. I'm a little mollified with the hiring of Cook but I still don't expect much this season.
    Lubbock, TX
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

5. Default Re: Something for those with a bleak outlook to think about...

I don't think anybody had any hope after the "game" we played in the dome... I personally thought all the coaches should have had to catch their own rides home and never step foot on our sideline again. I never thought about not supporting our team, although a lot of my close friends vowed not to return until we change the HC, but then I decided at the last minute to go to the spring scrimmage and hope once again sprang up from where there was none. That is the only thing that gives me any hope. If Cook and Bodine can make that much difference in such a short amount of time, then maybe we will see some improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I think he's saying that we were thrilled with the Monken hire and generally pleased with his performance, and that Cook's resume today trumps Monken's back then, which I think is true. Ergo, we should all have reason to be little more upbeat about this season having having a 'super-Monken' as our OC with a defensive HC focused on the D. This sort of mirrors the basis for my cautious optimism regarding our outlook.

I can see, however, how some would point out that that was 8 years and a subdivision ago, and since the landscape has become much more treacherous in the meantime, it may not be an apples/apples comparison (and it doesn't do anything to convince the CTS-haters about his ability to helm the ship).

For my part, I'm frankly still amazed and thrilled that we were able to assemble this 'Summers Staff 2.0' and can't envision a more ideal scenario given that CTS was sure to be retained.
    Monken was an FCS hire. He was an acceptable candidate for a FCS job. The fact we was a successful HC at the FCS level made him an acceptable FBS hire. Had CTS been a successful HC at the FCS level he would also been an acceptable FBS hire. See Fritz

Comparing FCS hiring and football to FBS is impossible. The typical FCS coach does not sniff 300K base and only a handfull get bottom level FBS base pay and none get the bonuses and total pay that I know. CTS base was 300K but total compensation was 600K from what I have seen.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

The offensive staff is definitely improved, the wild card being Wood, I like the idea of his option and arena league background, bring some of those passing facets (short quick running away from the DB in Man coverage) to a solid option game and it could have a good year. (Those routes also help set up blocks for downfield blocking).
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Monken was an FCS hire. He was an acceptable candidate for a FCS job. . . . Comparing FCS hiring and football to FBS is impossible. .
    That's pretty much what I said: "I can see, however, how some would point out that that was 8 years and a subdivision ago, and since the landscape has become much more treacherous in the meantime, it may not be an apples/apples comparison"
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Monken was an FCS hire. He was an acceptable candidate for a FCS job. The fact we was a successful HC at the FCS level made him an acceptable FBS hire. Had CTS been a successful HC at the FCS level he would also been an acceptable FBS hire. See Fritz

Comparing FCS hiring and football to FBS is impossible. The typical FCS coach does not sniff 300K base and only a handfull get bottom level FBS base pay and none get the bonuses and total pay that I know. CTS base was 300K but total compensation was 600K from what I have seen.
    What is an "FCS hire"? Not trying to be a smart-***, just trying to understand what you're saying. Do you not think some G5s sometimes hire Power 5 position coaches? PJ Fleck had never been a coordinator when he started at Western Michigan.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAlum View Post

We were certainly bad last season but it shouldn't take much to get us to 6 conference wins.
    I don't disagree, but FWIW I'm pretty sure that is a very rare statement to see on a Georgia Southern football message board before a season starts (prior to this one). Times are tough.