SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Coach Summers & This Season

  1. #1

    Default Coach Summers & This Season

    My Emotional Take In-Season 2016:
    I was all over the place last season. Initially, after the ULM game, I thought this team was obviously talented and it was just taking time to gel after the coaching change. I saw similar formations but not similar results. After the Arkansas State game I still felt like we were superior in talent to everyone in our league save App State (I would say equal talent). But I still thought we would get it together and finish with at least 8 wins. Then I saw poor execution, bad coaching decisions, injuries and indecision finish out the rest of the season, other than the Troy game. By years end and with the emotional perspective I had as a Fan, I felt we needed to make a change.

    Athletic Director Decision to Retain:
    We found out soon after the Troy victory that TK determined that he would retain Coach Summers but changes on the staff would need to take place. I would have been on board with a decision either way, as long as an offensive change was made.

    Cook Hired as OC:
    This was the first major decision by Coach Summers I feel he selected the right person. And my opinion of him began to change because of the information that came to surface about this being the person that Summers wanted to begin with. That made me feel better about his hires the previous season considering he was locked out of the guy he wanted by TK.

    Start of Fall Camp:
    As Fall Camp has begun I am very encouraged by Coach Summers. After a disappointing season our team seems very focused, they have intensity and they are excited about what is happening with the program. Coach Summers has come across as more confident and sure of himself. Less aww shucks talk and more definitive answers on scheme and philosophy.

    Final Thoughts:
    I truly feel last season was a perfect storm of variables. Injuries, Lack of Identity, Offensive Scheme and Inexperienced Head Coach all contributed to a poor season. We were not very good finishing drive. I rewatched some games online from last season. One in particular was the NMSU game where through a Quarter and a half the game was tied 6-6. We had 3 drives inside the 10 yard line and we had 6 points, two FGs. At worst we should have had a 21-6 lead. That exemplifies the lack of Offensive Identity. Nothing to lean on in the redzone. This wasn't the only game this occurred in. Ark State should have been a blowout win, ULM, GAGState all should have been big victories. And we were significantly more talented than ULL. Coach Cook with help with this.

    2017 Season Prediction:
    At minimum 8 win season by the Eagles and a bowl berth. My exact prediction is 9-3.
    Georgia Southern has created a culture of winning! We expect to win and we should! GATA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    22,914

    Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    I think the hiring of Coach Cook, Bodine, and Wood along with Chandler as head of S&C were the decisions that showed a true understanding of what it would take to get us on the right path.

    Cook alone wouldn't have been enough. Having those 4 will make a HUGE difference. In those 3 offensive coaches, we have an enormous amount of option experience and they all have OC experience. In Chandler we have a guy who has a track record of being with teams that are fast and strong.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

    Georgia State University

    November 4, 2017 - 3PM EDT (ESPN3)


  3. #3

    Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I think the hiring of Coach Cook, Bodine, and Wood along with Chandler as head of S&C were the decisions that showed a true understanding of what it would take to get us on the right path.

    Cook alone wouldn't have been enough. Having those 4 will make a HUGE difference. In those 3 offensive coaches, we have an enormous amount of option experience and they all have OC experience. In Chandler we have a guy who has a track record of being with teams that are fast and strong.
    I agree the right Assistants were hired. Without the Cook hire we aren't able to attract the type of coaches we need on that side of the ball. I expect to see a much more confident offense and more of an identity to finish drives with 7 instead of INTs or FGs.

    Hoping our young QBs can get comfortable in finding the slivers of running space needed to extend drives at time in option offense. The jury is still out but I think at this point we are at the best position we could have wished for once the decision to retain was made. Hoping for the best this year and it seems the team is buying in.
    Georgia Southern has created a culture of winning! We expect to win and we should! GATA

  4. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    I realize that many people have bought into CTS primarily because of the offensive changes and the off-season work he put into his public speaking. That is fine, I want to like him too, but IMO he is still the 121st ranked FBS coach until I see those things translate into wins on the football field. However, in my defense, I also did not start loathing him until he started losing on the football field- I "trusted the process" last preseason. I do feel like their is only one direction to go, so GATA CTS!

  5. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

    Cook alone wouldn't have been enough.
    Yep Mogridge and DL coach Lindsey needed to go.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I realize that many people have bought into CTS primarily because of the offensive changes and the off-season work he put into his public speaking. That is fine, I want to like him too, but IMO he is still the 121st ranked FBS coach until I see those things translate into wins on the football field. However, in my defense, I also did not start loathing him until he started losing on the football field- I "trusted the process" last preseason. I do feel like their is only one direction to go, so GATA CTS!
    I don't think it is a matter of "buying into" Coach Summers. I simply feel that doubling down on being dissatisfied with Coach Summers without evaluating the circumstances might not be the right move. There were variables at play I didn't know about during last year while making hires and during the actual Football season. I have concluded that the perfect storm existed due to the previous Offensive hires to have the outcome happen. Couple those with the learning curve a brand new Head Coach has was not a good formula.

    I think this year Coach Summers "seems" to be light years ahead of last year. Our defense was average last year and I expect to see a much more aggressive and fresh defensive team. Offensively we have a chance to be very good with the athletes I know we have on that side of the ball. Our Coaching staff is solid. I feel it's time for our fans to become cautiously optimistic about our program. Wouldn't it be better if Coach Summers turns into a huge success? Predicting his demise isn't helpful nor do I think it is accurate. I predict a solid season with a return to what we love to see on Offense and an attacking Smart defensive team.
    Georgia Southern has created a culture of winning! We expect to win and we should! GATA

  7. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    I agree the offense improves, but the defense will not. We lost too many really good (great) players and the top D coaches (including Summers) for the most part have had only modest amounts of success in less than outstanding programs. We had no pass rush and were weak defending passes last year. We may still be looking at a Head Coach Cook in 2018, if we fire based on a 6-6 season which is where I think we will be.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by bteagles11 View Post
    My Emotional Take In-Season 2016:
    I was all over the place last season. Initially, after the ULM game, I thought this team was obviously talented and it was just taking time to gel after the coaching change. I saw similar formations but not similar results. After the Arkansas State game I still felt like we were superior in talent to everyone in our league save App State (I would say equal talent). But I still thought we would get it together and finish with at least 8 wins. Then I saw poor execution, bad coaching decisions, injuries and indecision finish out the rest of the season, other than the Troy game. By years end and with the emotional perspective I had as a Fan, I felt we needed to make a change.

    Athletic Director Decision to Retain:
    We found out soon after the Troy victory that TK determined that he would retain Coach Summers but changes on the staff would need to take place. I would have been on board with a decision either way, as long as an offensive change was made.

    Cook Hired as OC:
    This was the first major decision by Coach Summers I feel he selected the right person. And my opinion of him began to change because of the information that came to surface about this being the person that Summers wanted to begin with. That made me feel better about his hires the previous season considering he was locked out of the guy he wanted by TK.

    Start of Fall Camp:
    As Fall Camp has begun I am very encouraged by Coach Summers. After a disappointing season our team seems very focused, they have intensity and they are excited about what is happening with the program. Coach Summers has come across as more confident and sure of himself. Less aww shucks talk and more definitive answers on scheme and philosophy.

    Final Thoughts:
    I truly feel last season was a perfect storm of variables. Injuries, Lack of Identity, Offensive Scheme and Inexperienced Head Coach all contributed to a poor season. We were not very good finishing drive. I rewatched some games online from last season. One in particular was the NMSU game where through a Quarter and a half the game was tied 6-6. We had 3 drives inside the 10 yard line and we had 6 points, two FGs. At worst we should have had a 21-6 lead. That exemplifies the lack of Offensive Identity. Nothing to lean on in the redzone. This wasn't the only game this occurred in. Ark State should have been a blowout win, ULM, GAGState all should have been big victories. And we were significantly more talented than ULL. Coach Cook with help with this.

    2017 Season Prediction:
    At minimum 8 win season by the Eagles and a bowl berth. My exact prediction is 9-3.


    Wow!! With a freshman QB, no less. I wish i shared your optimism. I expect 5 or 6 wins.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    30,225

    Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleEagle View Post
    [/B] Wow!! With a freshman QB, no less. I wish i shared your optimism. I expect 5 or 6 wins.

    Winning with a freshman QB isn't nearly as difficult as it used to be. Especially a redshirt freshman QB behind an experienced and good OL with 2 really good RB's.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    30,225

    Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    I agree the offense improves, but the defense will not. We lost too many really good (great) players and the top D coaches (including Summers) for the most part have had only modest amounts of success in less than outstanding programs. We had no pass rush and were weak defending passes last year. We may still be looking at a Head Coach Cook in 2018, if we fire based on a 6-6 season which is where I think we will be.

    1. If we got 6-6 nobody is getting fired.
    2. If Summers gets fired then Cook is gone too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Similar Threads

  1. How Summers' second season will be judged
    By studenteagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 14th June 2017, 12:13 PM
  2. Mic'd up with Coach Summers
    By yourmother in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 29th November 2016, 06:16 PM
  3. What Coach Tyson Summers Said...
    By straightshooter in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th February 2016, 09:11 AM
  4. Coach Summers' contract
    By AUgradGSUgradstudent in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th January 2016, 10:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •