Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Summers & This Season

Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

If Coack Cook is a success, and I believe he will be, we'll be looking possibly to bump his salary. And that can't be a problem.

2. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I couldn't agree more on this. The defense WAS NOT the problem last year. The defense took a step back from 2014/2015, but they were still AVERAGE
    The defense was a Hugh problem last year and we weren't even average compared to 2015, defensively we failed miserably. 11 sacks in 2016. 124th out of 128 FBS teams. Yeah offense was the major problem last year. But you can't put on a band-aid and sugar coat our defense as average last year either. They inhale vigorouslyed. Constantini can down play sacks all he wants. But most DC cherish them.

Mark Richt got fired after winning 9 games. Probably the dumbest firing I've ever seen.

But you are correct. Tyson Summers won't be fired even if we go 3-9.

And there is also 0.00 chance that Summers gets fired and Bryan Cook gets the job (unless CTS is fired for "off the field" reasons).
    Lose to UNH in the home opener and watch what happens
    GATA!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    The defense was a Hugh problem last year and we weren't even average compared to 2015, defensively we failed miserably. 11 sacks in 2016. 124th out of 128 FBS teams. Yeah offense was the major promblem last year. But you can't put a band-aid and sugar coat our defense as average last year either. They inhale vigorouslyed. Constantini can down play sacks all he wants. But most DC cherish them.
    11 sacks and they had probably at least twice as many opportunities for more as they did in 2015 due to our stinky offense. Let that sink in..
    Last edited by oldfart; 3rd August 2017 at 12:15 PM.
    GATA!

I couldn't agree more on this. The defense WAS NOT the problem last year. The defense took a step back from 2014/2015, but they were still AVERAGE. The were competent, they just weren't amazing. And those of us with realistic expectations saw that coming because we had no pass rush and a super green secondary. It also goes to show that we have a bunch of dunces in our fan base that never appreciated Jack Curtis.

The offense was 90% of our problem last year. They were TRASH. There is no way around this. You can't have an average defense and pair it with an absolutely ****ty "rushing" offense (that runs the ball 50 times a damn game) and expect to win more than 5-6 games. Hell, we probably should have been 4-8 last year.

Like half said...if our defense plays EXACTLY THE SAME as they did last year and our offense even improves to AVERAGE, we'll probably squeeze out 6-7 wins and a bowl game. We're playing in the SunBelt, not the NFL.
    Agree with this completely. An effective Rushing Attack that controls possession and clock is a Defenses best friend. It also puts extreme pressure on opposing offenses to ensure they stay on schedule and score when they get the chance. Last season our defense was Average to Good but with a decent offense it would shrink the Points Allowed Per Game drastically. From a statistical standpoint we gave up 26.5 points per game and we scored 26.58. We scored 319 points last year and gave up 318 points. Our redzone TD scoring was only 54% last season. If I remember correctly that was down from somewhere in the 70% area the year before. The new offensive identity should help improve that and increase redzone opportunities. I expect to see our PPG to increase to at minimum the mid 30s. That should have an inverse relationship to our PPG allowed. My prediction is we will average 34.5 PPG on offense and we will give up 19.5 PPG on defense. If we do that we will win at least 8 games.
    Georgia Southern has created a culture of winning! We expect to win and we should! GATA

6. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

Mark Richt got fired after winning 9 games. Probably the dumbest firing I've ever seen.

If Summers wins 9 games a year for 10 years but doesn't win a SunBelt Championship would he still be the coach?

7. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    11 sacks and they had probably at least twice as many opportunities for more as they did in 2015 due to our stinky offense. Let that sink in..
    Our stinky offense was no excuse for a foul smelling defense with experience and seniors. Not to mention our so called defensive gura coaches leading the way.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    The defense was a Hugh problem last year and we weren't even average compared to 2015, defensively we failed miserably. 11 sacks in 2016. 124th out of 128 FBS teams. Yeah offense was the major problem last year. But you can't put on a band-aid and sugar coat our defense as average last year either. They inhale vigorouslyed. Constantini can down play sacks all he wants. But most DC cherish them.
    GS OPP
    TOTAL OFFENSE 4558 4759
    Total Plays 870 801
    Average Per Play 5.2 5.9
    Average Per Game 379.8 396.6

Our defense was poor in many peoples eyes because they didn't have the benefit of a solid running game that controlled the clock as we normally do. If our Yards per game average was close to 500 on Offense IMO our defense would have looked very similar to the previous two years from a statistical standpoint. I don't think we can overemphasize how important a solid offense is for a defenses psyche, confidence and durability.
    Georgia Southern has created a culture of winning! We expect to win and we should! GATA

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Several of you have made this assertion, and while it may be somewhat unlikely, I am confused as to why you guys feel it is an absolute non-starter.

First, I agree that Summers will likely not get fired after this season unless we REALLY under-perform relative to our current, relatively measured expectations for this year. So from that aspect, it is more or less a moot point. However, if the offense is lights-out over the next 2 years and Summers just underwhelms either through his influence on the defense or just in the general administration of the program, why would Cook not be at least given a look? At that point in time, his resume would more or less qualify him as at least a candidate (assuming he impresses the right people during that time and has the right personality).

I'm not suggesting he is somehow the 'HC-in-waiting', but what am I missing?

You are missing that it's basically impossible for our offense to be lights out over the next 2 years and Summers underwhelms. You can think the guy is a bumbling idiot all day long, but if he is winning he won't get fired. See: Miles, Les.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

10. Default Re: Coach Summers & This Season

Quote Originally Posted by bteagles11 View Post

Our defense was poor in many peoples eyes because they didn't have the benefit of a solid running game that controlled the clock as we normally do. If our Yards per game average was close to 500 on Offense.
    Yeah, you think? 500 ypg. But the defense can't exclusively rely on offense to win games. Defense psyche, confidence and durability should be ingrained in fall camp and that ingredient shouldn't be determined by the offense. I agree that more successful the offense is, the more productive the defense will be and vice versa.