Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flexbone sighting

Default Re: Flexbone sighting

Dang... The B back is often only about 3 1/2 yards deep. And nobody is allowed forward motion till the ball is snapped. 1984 or present day. We got the hole faster with the flex. HEAVY SET... HEAVY SET... Still has a valuable place in today's game. It's a nice weapon to have in the armory as is the gun/pistol. I prefer under center flex in a heavy set on the goal line, fourth and inches... Heck, even third and one.

.....and I get people off topic??!!
    GATA!

Just don't chop block and turn 4th and 1 into 4th and 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

It (4th & 1 in Athens) didn't work for a lot of reasons. 1 being the same reason that the fumble on the goal line in Raleigh happened: Lack of practice on executing the play.

It was a bad call at that point in the game. We had already ran it twice I think in overtime. There was nobody else in the backfield for any defenders to have to think about, they knew we only needed a yard and knew we wouldn't throw it. I think one guy missed his block, against Floyed and the entire defense was allowed to pin their ears back on the play. UGA never covered the potential pass to the QB, and we hadn't prepared for that in practice. If you are going to run that, you gotta be willing and able to adjust to the defense NOT adjusting. We left Ramsby there with nowhere to go. Should have been practiced as an auto pass to the QB in that situation.

You've just gotta practice whatever it is you do. Snaps under center are not dangerous. The B back 3 1/2 yards deep has it's advantages in some situations as does the gun. If we are going to telecast that we are going to run, both by alignment and our tendencies, then I prefer we do Three things.
    1: Shorten the distance to the point of attack to both hit holes faster and minimize the defenders opportunities for negative plays.
    2. Still have the defense trying to figure out WHO is going to have the ball and make them have to think (slows them down).
    3. Allow for more blockers, ie power plays etc, rather than a QB winding up "naked"

Does the flex do all that? If practiced: Yes

Wrap it up, I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Just don't chop block and turn 4th and 1 into 4th and 16.
    Or get called for an offensive face mask and lose to your biggest rival at home.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

If we do run a significant amount of flexbone, I don't want to see Fields at B-Back as in the OP.

Not only would I want him to avoid the hits, but he needs to be a A-Back to do things like this:

https://youtu.be/8PMrhABbGqY?t=1331

https://youtu.be/NeH3O0G1sNM?t=5776

https://youtu.be/LdIlcZ5e1gI?t=4277
    Last edited by pete4256; 7th August 2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Dang... The B back is often only about 3 1/2 yards deep. And nobody is allowed forward motion till the ball is snapped. 1984 or present day. We got the hole faster with the flex. HEAVY SET... HEAVY SET... Still has a valuable place in today's game. It's a nice weapon to have in the armory as is the gun/pistol. I prefer under center flex in a heavy set on the goal line, fourth and inches... Heck, even third and one.
    B-back isn't at 3.5 yards in the heavy set.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    If we do run a significant amount of flexbone, I don't want to see Fields at B-Back as in the OP.

Not only would I want him to avoid the hits, but he needs to be a A-Back to do things like this:

https://youtu.be/8PMrhABbGqY?t=1331

https://youtu.be/NeH3O0G1sNM?t=5776

https://youtu.be/LdIlcZ5e1gI?t=4277

It all depends on how we are going to use the A-backs and how much we are going to be running the flex. If it's going to be like they were used the last couple years of the Monken era then put him at B-back.

But I do think he needs to be able to play the B-back. Otherwise the only time we can bounce between gun and flex is when Ramsby is on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

It all depends on how we are going to use the A-backs and how much we are going to be running the flex. If it's going to be like they were used the last couple years of the Monken era then put him at B-back.

But I do think he needs to be able to play the B-back. Otherwise the only time we can bounce between gun and flex is when Ramsby is on the field.
    Eric Montgomery has the skill set to play B-Back. Obviously, so does Logan Wright, though he'll almost certainly redshirt.

Last season, Cal-Poly had a thick B-Back, built about like James Dean. When they shifted into the gun, he played H-Back while one of the slots played RB. The other slot played slot receiver.

I still think we could theoretically bounce Ellis Richardson like that. Obviously, that's not something we'd want to do very often. But Richardson is a good, athletic runner, even though he probably has the wrong build for B-Back (see Govan, Nardo).

It would be criminal for Wesley Fields to have single-digit carries per game.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

Be your own biggest fan and your own harshest critic.