SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrett Stidham struggles in practice

Default Re: Jarrett Stidham struggles in practice

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle12 View Post
    Well the first 7 games he was playing garbage time behind the starter as Baylor rolled to several 30+ point wins. He only started 3 games after the started was injured, and Stidham only played the 1st half of his 3rd start bc he was injured too. In his 2.5 games as the primary QB he was 51 of 81 for 934 yards and 6 TDs.
    that last stat line you just posted has me worried, in 2.5 games, 51/81, 934 and 6 TD.

There's always something about that first scrimmage that leaves people coming away concerned about the offense. This is no different. I know the guy can play, our secondary is going to have their hands full especially if we have trouble getting to him. Their OC is already on record saying they want to be about 50/50 run/pass this season.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I can tell you remember the Baylor bowl game and looked at the stats and tried to piece the story together there. Stidham was a backup the first 7 games until the starter got injured and he took over. He started the next 3 before getting injured. At that point Baylor was down to their 3rd team QB and went to running the ball. Stidham threw 33 and 27 passes in the 2 complete games he started and had 21 attempts already when he was injured in the 1st half against Oklahoma St.

In the 2 games he started they ran it 78 times and threw it 60. Hardly a 2:1 ratio.
    I watched Baylor a few times that year and I must still be getting the different QBs mixed up, but I can still make my point.

So we're talking about a guy that has only started two games, played limited time in 8 other games, sat out for an entire year, and is now playing for Gus Malzahn under with a new OC and a supposed intention of doing more throwing than they are used to.

Why should we expect they will be playing like a top-10 team out of the gate? I'm still not seeing the difference in the Auburn hype this year and in 2015 when pundits were picking them to make the final 4.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 8th August 2017 at 08:38 AM.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Our secondary is good, but it's up to the Eagle offense to make them a weapon. Our DBs will likely get tired and burned a few times if Auburn is playing from ahead and gets to calculate the shots they take downfield. If the offense scores some points and at least moves the chains a bit on non-scoring drives, that keeps the secondary rested and prevents Auburn from taking as many risks.

This thought will be represented in the extreme against a top-15 team, but will also hold true for the rest of the season. While our secondary is still young and will face some veteran QBs and good WRs in the Sun Belt, I think they have proven that they can make some plays.

Any game where Georgia Southern has a lead and is running well enough for teams to know that their number of possessions - and chances to catch up - are limited will lead to more predictable passing. And while there is still plenty of room for our secondary to grow, they are good enough already to turn predictable passing into gamebreaking plays.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I watched Baylor a few times last year and I must still be getting the different QBs mixed up, but I can still make my point.

So we're talking about a guy that has only started two games, played limited time in 8 other games, sat out for an entire year, and is now playing for Gus Malzahn under with a new OC and a supposed intention of doing more throwing than they are used to.

Why should we expect they will be playing like a top-10 team out of the gate? I'm still not seeing the difference in the Auburn hype this year and in 2015 when pundits were picking them to make the final 4.

It's not just Stidham. They have a ton of offensive talent. Their OL should be very good and this is the best group of skill players, especially at WR, that Malzhan has had at Auburn.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I don't think it matters who plays QB against us they have plenty of talent. Auburn plays at Clemson the next week so I would think they would keep it pretty basic against us and not show Clemson too much. Probably just want to get in some reps against us and get out with no injuries.

7. Default Re: Jarrett Stidham struggles in practice

This just guarantees he'll torch us for 600 yards.

It appears there was bad information. Stidham did not throw the INTs. Only White. Some veteran beat writers got burned by some sources and the reports of an actual player on the record, so it's understandable. As more info has come out, it appears that was misrepresented somehow.

I fully expect Stidham to be named the starter after the next scrimmage.
    Avatar = True Blue sign, standing under the Bill Clinton statue in Pristina, Kosovo, and smoking a cigar.

-Walt Austin, Forgotten5.com

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    It's not just Stidham. They have a ton of offensive talent. Their OL should be very good and this is the best group of skill players, especially at WR, that Malzhan has had at Auburn.
    dont forget their TWO stud RB's.

He has a little trouble getting up to game speed and makes a few mistakes. So what? Everyone does at this point in the fall.
    GATA!