Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Goathumpers vs. Fleabags

Default Re: Goathumpers vs. Fleabags

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    ... Okay
    OldFart has spoken....sorry EagleTrump...we'll miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Define fail.

Can't get much more short term than this first game, I think we would all define a loss to App as a "fail" - and that sure ain't impossible.
    But highly unlikely.

The way App plays on offense actually caters to UGA's strengths. App wants to run the ball, and they want to do so in a zone stretch scheme out of the pistol that looks a lot like something from the 80s. UGA will be good against that type of attack, especially one that takes a little bit of time and space to develop. A physical, fast presence on the outside will shut their run game down (think Heagle coming up in run support against us vs NDSU in 2011). They don't do any real misdirection to hide what they do either, their one attempt is incorporating a fly sweep that was sniffed out pretty early last season. App doesn't have the QB to have a dynamic vertical passing game to put stress on the defense and keep the secondary out of run support. App will want to grind them, and wait for UGA to make mistakes. That's basically what happened in our game with them last year, cause nothing really happened until mid/late 3rd quarter.

It's likely that we'll see the most boring offensive scheming ever from both (UGA could update their offense but they insist on being infected with NFLAIDS). If I hadn't been so irritated with how we played against App last year, it's likely I would have fallen asleep when App was on offense cause it was like watching paint dry.

Yes App was close against Tennessee last year, but there was a bunch of luck involved, and Tennessee was also nowhere near as good as their billing. Tenn. had shown a propensity for underachieving the year before and a lack of consistency on offense, especially from their OL......which was exactly what they showed against App. Outside of that game though, App has been SMOKED by every P5 team they've played the last few years.

We have this same thread every time Appy plays UGA (or any P5 team for that matter). I do not want Appy to beat our biggest instate rival before we do!!!! (and yes I consider uga our biggest in state rival. They have the most influence over us and cause the more issues than wither gagstate or GT.) No ifs ands or buts about it. When we have already come up short againt uga so many times, Appy coming in and beating them first makes us look worse. Appy gains all of the notoriety first and Appy recruits the state of GA very heavily. I don't care about the miniscule good publicity that "makes the Sun Belt look better". It makes Appy look better and to me that goes directly against us in every way. Once we have our share of P5 wins and are doing it on a regular basis, then they can win against whoever they want to. Until then, play them close then lose is my choice for any Appy P5 games, ESPECIALLY at uga.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Kevin Jenny
    C/O '94
    BS - Building Construction and Contracting
    Lawrenceville, GA

4. Default Re: Goathumpers vs. Fleabags

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    We have this same thread every time Appy plays UGA (or any P5 team for that matter). I do not want Appy to beat our biggest instate rival before we do!!!! (and yes I consider uga our biggest in state rival. They have the most influence over us and cause the more issues than wither gagstate or GT.) No ifs ands or buts about it. When we have already come up short againt uga so many times, Appy coming in and beating them first makes us look worse. Appy gains all of the notoriety first and Appy recruits the state of GA very heavily. I don't care about the miniscule good publicity that "makes the Sun Belt look better". It makes Appy look better and to me that goes directly against us in every way. Once we have our share of P5 wins and are doing it on a regular basis, then they can win against whoever they want to. Until then, play them close then lose is my choice for any Appy P5 games, ESPECIALLY at uga.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    But highly unlikely.

The way App plays on offense actually caters to UGA's strengths. App wants to run the ball, and they want to do so in a zone stretch scheme out of the pistol that looks a lot like something from the 80s. UGA will be good against that type of attack, especially one that takes a little bit of time and space to develop. A physical, fast presence on the outside will shut their run game down (think Heagle coming up in run support against us vs NDSU in 2011). They don't do any real misdirection to hide what they do either, their one attempt is incorporating a fly sweep that was sniffed out pretty early last season. App doesn't have the QB to have a dynamic vertical passing game to put stress on the defense and keep the secondary out of run support. App will want to grind them, and wait for UGA to make mistakes. That's basically what happened in our game with them last year, cause nothing really happened until mid/late 3rd quarter.

It's likely that we'll see the most boring offensive scheming ever from both (UGA could update their offense but they insist on being infected with NFLAIDS). If I hadn't been so irritated with how we played against App last year, it's likely I would have fallen asleep when App was on offense cause it was like watching paint dry.

Yes App was close against Tennessee last year, but there was a bunch of luck involved, and Tennessee was also nowhere near as good as their billing. Tenn. had shown a propensity for underachieving the year before and a lack of consistency on offense, especially from their OL......which was exactly what they showed against App. Outside of that game though, App has been SMOKED by every P5 team they've played the last few years.

Exactly. What App does on offense will play right into UGA's hands. UGA has either the best or 2nd best front 7 in the SEC this year and Lamb doesn't have the arm to keep the safeties out of run support. I just don't see App scoring much in this one.

On the other side of the ball I'm in the believe it when I see it group, but all reports are that UGA is trying out this new thing on offense called no huddle. Also been reports of quick passes and coaches using the term "get our playmakers in space". Talking about getting Chubb and Michel on the field at the same time and "being creative". We'll see.

Speaking of NFLAIDS though it would probably be a good idea to keep an eye on Tuscaloosa. If Nick Saban gets away with this hire then I give up on ever thinking anything can go wrong at Alabama while he's there.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

6. Default Re: Goathumpers vs. Fleabags

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Exactly. What App does on offense will play right into UGA's hands. UGA has either the best or 2nd best front 7 in the SEC this year and Lamb doesn't have the arm to keep the safeties out of run support. I just don't see App scoring much in this one.

On the other side of the ball I'm in the believe it when I see it group, but all reports are that UGA is trying out this new thing on offense called no huddle. Also been reports of quick passes and coaches using the term "get our playmakers in space". Talking about getting Chubb and Michel on the field at the same time and "being creative". We'll see.

Speaking of NFLAIDS though it would probably be a good idea to keep an eye on Tuscaloosa. If Nick Saban gets away with this hire then I give up on ever thinking anything can go wrong at Alabama while he's there.
    When talking with a couple of my uga buddies, the subject of Kirby Smart being from the Alabama sleezeball tree their comments were: Ya, but he's our's now. Just win and all the stuff get's handled. If you're gonna beat bama you gotta do it like they do and Coach Smart knows how. That's the gist of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    When talking with a couple of my uga buddies, the subject of Kirby Smart being from the Alabama sleezeball tree their comments were: Ya, but he's our's now. Just win and all the stuff get's handled. If you're gonna beat bama you gotta do it like they do and Coach Smart knows how. That's the gist of the conversation.

Well seeing as how he played at UGA I'd say he's always been "there's" in a way. Other than that I'd say it's basically true. Just win and nobody will care about anything else.

One thing I do like about Smart when it comes to "out Alabama'ing Alabama" is he was talking to a group of boosters and admitted that he was never once worried about LSU because they were so one dimensional. Even when they had Fournette he knew they could atleast slow him down and once they did it was over. So he knows to beat Bama his offense is going to have to be able to do more than just line up and run over them.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

8. Default Re: Goathumpers vs. Fleabags

Jim Cheney's anemic offense will keep this game closer than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Jim Cheney's anemic offense will keep this game closer than it should be.

We'll see. It's not like he was my first choice as OC but the way UGA played last year was definitely not the norm for how he has called games throughout his career either. The talk from him and everybody reporting from practice is that things are going to look a lot different this year. Like I said, we'll see. But yes if it's more of the same from last year then his anemic offense will keep it close.

Even if everything stays the same from a playcalling standpoint it almost has to get a little better because there is no way that the OL can be any worse than last year and you'd think Eason has to make atleast a marginal improvement. Also Chubb has to be better than last year from a recovery standpoint.

UGA is extremely overrated, like they are every year. Appy can easily win this game. Will the SEC officiating crew let them?
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low