Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of changes while students were away

1. Default Lots of changes while students were away

Inside Bulloch Business with DeWayne Grice - Lots of changes while students were away

http://www.statesboroherald.com/sect...article/81105/
    Also, Auxiliary Services will introduce a food truck mid-fall. A food truck will add a mobile kitchen to their menu of services. The mobility will allow them to prepare food on the go, including Paulson Stadium on game days. During the school week, the food truck will be located close to the bus stop near the stadium to offer a food option there. The food truck will be set up to handle multiple menus.

Parking and transportation:
    Reconstruction of the second half of the Russell Union parking lot is now complete, adding 115 more spaces than last year. This brings the total number of parking spaces on campus to more than 13,000, which includes Paulson Stadium.
    Parking services has moved away from decals this year and streamlined the parking registration process, which is completed online now. Students now register their vehicle using the license plate on the vehicle. GSU will enforce parking more efficiently using tag readers. This will prevent students from having to stand in long lines and having to place a decal on their car.
    Construction is scheduled to start on the entrance road at South Campus in September and is estimated to take about nine months. When complete it will align Akins Boulevard at the bypass with the entrance to the land across the bypass which was acquired by the university several years ago. South Campus currently contains plant operations. It will provide critical space for any future expansion of the campus.

Facility renovations
    The University Store received a face lift last year, which included new wooden floors and a more open shopping experience. Also, a new point-of-sale system allows customers to receive receipts via email for easier returns, exchanges and tax record keeping. The store now offers an in-house rental program with more titles, as well as a broader selection of eBooks. Other new features, including a customer loyalty program and online gift registry, are coming soon.

2. Default Re: Lots of changes while students were away

Interesting tidbit on prepping Atkins Blvd for the South Campus expansion. That musty mean that plans are still underway to expand the Statesboro campus even with the Armstrong merger. Most of that land is wetlands so there's very little buildable land across veterans.

Default Re: Lots of changes while students were away

The amount of business the Chick Fil A does on campus....wow.

I still remember when CFA was sharing space with Union Station and you couldn't use meal plans there.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    Inside Bulloch Business with DeWayne Grice - Lots of changes while students were away

http://www.statesboroherald.com/sect...article/81105/
    Also, Auxiliary Services will introduce a food truck mid-fall. A food truck will add a mobile kitchen to their menu of services. The mobility will allow them to prepare food on the go, including Paulson Stadium on game days. During the school week, the food truck will be located close to the bus stop near the stadium to offer a food option there. The food truck will be set up to handle multiple menus.

Parking and transportation:
    Reconstruction of the second half of the Russell Union parking lot is now complete, adding 115 more spaces than last year. This brings the total number of parking spaces on campus to more than 13,000, which includes Paulson Stadium.
    Parking services has moved away from decals this year and streamlined the parking registration process, which is completed online now. Students now register their vehicle using the license plate on the vehicle. GSU will enforce parking more efficiently using tag readers. This will prevent students from having to stand in long lines and having to place a decal on their car.
    Construction is scheduled to start on the entrance road at South Campus in September and is estimated to take about nine months. When complete it will align Akins Boulevard at the bypass with the entrance to the land across the bypass which was acquired by the university several years ago. South Campus currently contains plant operations. It will provide critical space for any future expansion of the campus.

Facility renovations
    The University Store received a face lift last year, which included new wooden floors and a more open shopping experience. Also, a new point-of-sale system allows customers to receive receipts via email for easier returns, exchanges and tax record keeping. The store now offers an in-house rental program with more titles, as well as a broader selection of eBooks. Other new features, including a customer loyalty program and online gift registry, are coming soon.
    Another caveat to this, to use these tag readers Parking and Transportation does not allow "pull-through" parking or backing into a space. Vehicles must be parked with the rear/tag visible from the aisle.
    OAS AAS LLS

5. Default Re: Lots of changes while students were away

Housing
    University Villas: All windows were replaced, vinyl siding installed, all entrance doors, the clubhouse, the bridge and gazebo leading to the pond were painted. More than 130 exterior surveillance cameras were installed. Wireless coverage in all apartments was upgraded, as was the CCTV system. A new fire alarm system and panic alarm system was installed.

Too bad they didn't do anything on the inside. My daughter moved into UV yesterday (volunteering for Operation Move In) and found her apartment looking very rough. The burners on the stove were even missing. The video she sent last night looked worse than my place at the old "Southern Pines" back in the mid-80's. I suspect someone didn't finish cleaning and working on her apartment this summer. I am sure housing is getting a earful from her today!
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    Housing
    University Villas: All windows were replaced, vinyl siding installed, all entrance doors, the clubhouse, the bridge and gazebo leading to the pond were painted. More than 130 exterior surveillance cameras were installed. Wireless coverage in all apartments was upgraded, as was the CCTV system. A new fire alarm system and panic alarm system was installed.

Too bad they didn't do anything on the inside. My daughter moved into UV yesterday (volunteering for Operation Move In) and found her apartment looking very rough. The burners on the stove were even missing. The video she sent last night looked worse than my place at the old "Southern Pines" back in the mid-80's. I suspect someone didn't finish cleaning and working on her apartment this summer. I am sure housing is getting a earful from her today!
    I worked for Housing when I was in school.....it doesn't surprise me.

7. Default Re: Lots of changes while students were away

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I worked for Housing when I was in school.....it doesn't surprise me.
    I just spoke to the boss lady at home and she heard from our daughter earlier. Apparently housing responded very quickly and took care of everything today. I guess there was an advantage to arriving early.. beat the rush for maintenance requests.
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    Housing

I hope that is an isolated incident.

I can also see students trading out tags to park.

Other than that prep work for the South Campus is great news. Some have suggested this was going to get shelved with the Armstrong merger.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Interesting tidbit on prepping Atkins Blvd for the South Campus expansion. That musty mean that plans are still underway to expand the Statesboro campus even with the Armstrong merger. Most of that land is wetlands so there's very little buildable land across veterans.

Yes, there are definitely plans for expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post

I can also see students trading out tags to park.
    I doubt that. The Commuter Lot passes are very inexpensive. It was $160.00 for the whole year.

Who would waste time taking their tag on and off?
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987