Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEC coaches anonymous comments on Auburn

Default SEC coaches anonymous comments on Auburn

• “The offense has a chance to be good if [Jarrett] Stidham, [a 6’ 3″, 214-pound sophomore transfer quarterback] is as good as advertised.”
    • “It was clear what they could do when [Kamryn] Pettway was healthy last year. Gus Malzahn does a good job of making mismatches with formations, and they keep you off guard because you can’t just load up to stop the run.”
    • “They’ve got a really good defensive front. They play physical. They play with their hands. They play low.”
    • “They’re very athletic in the secondary. There are not a lot of favorable matchups.”
    "Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Sir Winston Churchill

Default Re: SEC coaches anonymous comments on Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    • “The offense has a chance to be good if [Jarrett] Stidham, [a 6’ 3″, 214-pound sophomore transfer quarterback] is as good as advertised.”
    • “It was clear what they could do when [Kamryn] Pettway was healthy last year. Gus Malzahn does a good job of making mismatches with formations, and they keep you off guard because you can’t just load up to stop the run.”
    • “They’ve got a really good defensive front. They play physical. They play with their hands. They play low.”
    • “They’re very athletic in the secondary. There are not a lot of favorable matchups.”
    Oh boy.

"Matchup problems" (and the willingness of our opponents to maximize them) is really the worst case scenario for us against any upper-tier SEC team.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    "Matchup problems" (and the willingness of our opponents to maximize them) is really the worst case scenario for us against any upper-tier SEC team.
    i think it's called "talent problems".

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    i think it's called "talent problems".
    Not necessarily. We typically hang with SEC teams when they play it vanilla. See the first half of the UGA games in 2004 and 2012, plus the UF game in 2013.

NCSU was not a top-tier P5, but when they tried to do the same, we were beating them up and down the field.

Things generally fall apart when those teams get aggressive about exploiting matchup problems on either or both sides of the ball. Again, UGA in 2012 is the prime example. That was a game as long as they played vanilla and waited for their cumulative talent to beat us.

Everything changed once Richt turned Aaron Murray loose against our defense and turned their OLBs loose against our offense.

UF probably thought that's how things would go in 2013, but when it came to do-or-die, they had no real matchup advantages against our defense. They had a couple of guys on their defense who could've have single-handedly disrupted our offense (and they did a couple of times), but I don't think they had the will or the coaching to do so for sixty minutes. For instance, Fowler came back into the game after being helped off the field, but I don't think he was in any mood to play aggressively against our blockers once he did. And while UF had big-time talent at CB, uh, so what?

In other words, it's often the specific matchups that turn our games from competitive to ugly (at least when we're good).

Alabama in 2011 is the obvious outlier. They played vanilla and still beat us pretty good.
    Last edited by pete4256; 11th August 2017 at 11:44 AM.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

Not necessarily. We typically hang with SEC teams when they play it vanilla. See the first half of the UGA games in 2004 and 2012, plus the UF game in 2013.

NCSU was not a top-tier P5, but when they tried to do the same, we were beating them up and down the field.

Things generally fall apart when those teams get aggressive about exploiting matchup problems on either or both sides of the ball. Again, UGA in 2012 is the prime example. That was a game as long as they played vanilla and waited for their cumulative talent to beat us.

Everything changed once Richt turned Aaron Murray loose against our defense and turned their OLBs loose against our offense.

UF probably thought that's how things would go in 2013, but when it came to do-or-die, they had no real matchup advantages against our defense. They had a couple of guys on their defense who could've have single-handedly disrupted our offense (and they did a couple of times), but I don't think they had the will or the coaching to do so for sixty minutes. For instance, Fowler came back into the game after being helped off the field, but I don't think he was in any mood to play aggressively against our blockers once he did. And while UF had big-time talent at CB, uh, so what?

In other words, it's often the specific matchups that turn our games from competitive to ugly (at least when we're good).

Alabama in 2011 is the obvious outlier. They played vanilla and still beat us pretty good.

Yeah, but Alabama pretty much does that to everybody.

And if Florida would have played the entire game like they did the 4th quarter they probably beat us. Once they went into panic mode they started scoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Yah?, cream tends to rise to the top(talent)

Did they come out vanilla? I'm not so sure.

Our secondary that year had 3 guys that made NFL rosters. That's not exceptional by SEC standards, but if I'm Mark Richt or Mike Bobo and seeing those guys on film I probably like the matchup of my OL and Todd Gurley versus the Georgia southern defensive front versus their receivers and our DBs. I wonder if Richt and Bobo could see how talented our secondary was but overestimated them as a unit.

That game wasn't blown open in the second half, it was blown open when UGA was in hurry-up mode at the end of the first half and went 78 yards easily for a score with (I think) under 2 minutes left. I honestly wonder if they hadn't got into that situation how long it would've taken them to realize we were helpless against the pass.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

Be your own biggest fan and your own harshest critic.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Did they come out vanilla? I'm not so sure.

Our secondary that year had 3 guys that made NFL rosters. That's not exceptional by SEC standards, but if I'm Mark Richt or Mike Bobo and seeing those guys on film I probably like the matchup of my OL and Todd Gurley versus the Georgia southern defensive front versus their receivers and our DBs. I wonder if Richt and Bobo could see how talented our secondary was but overestimated them as a unit.

That game wasn't blown open in the second half, it was blown open when UGA was in hurry-up mode at the end of the first half and went 78 yards easily for a score with (I think) under 2 minutes left. I honestly wonder if they hadn't got into that situation how long it would've taken them to realize we were helpless against the pass.

Yes, they came out VERY vanilla. I remember when they had that drive right before the half sending and receiving several text messages that basically said "well that was fun while it lasted". Boob let Murray carve us up after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Yes, they came out VERY vanilla. I remember when they had that drive right before the half sending and receiving several text messages that basically said "well that was fun while it lasted". Boob let Murray carve us up after that.
    Yep. That's the way it went down. They did the same thing on defense in the second half.