Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From AUBURN

Default From AUBURN

Just read on AUBURNTIGERS.COM that their fans are encouraged to wear orange on Saturday and while complimentary of our Triple Option attack, they also referred to us as, "The Panthers."

"Most people – fans and experts alike – will wait until Week 2’s showdown at Clemson before they make a judgment on how talented this defense is, but the Tigers will have their hands full this Saturday when Georgia Southern visits Jordan-Hare Stadium. This is a Georgia Southern program that hung with Ole Miss last year, took Georgia to overtime the year before and stunned Florida back in 2013. They’re one of the few schools in the country that still features the triple-option offense, and it's proven difficult to slow down. The Panthers finished No. 29 nationally in rushing (224.17 yards per game) last season.

Preparation for that type of offense has not been easy. Most Auburn players have likely never faced a triple-option offense in college or in high school, and the scout team offense is doing its best to create an idea of what the Tigers might see Saturday night. So what’s the key to stopping a triple-option offense? “Eye discipline,” Steele said. “You’ve got to play good technique in any football. You’ve got to be where you’re supposed to be in football. But eye discipline is so key there. “If you’ve got the pitch, you’ve got to take the pitch. If you’ve got the dive, you’ve got to take the dive. If you’ve got to take the quarterback … guys start drifting with their eyes and lose focus with their eyes and now that pitch man is two steps further in front of you than he should be or the quarterback is two steps closer to him than he should be. It’s eye discipline.”

At times during this week, Auburn has even practiced without a ball. The center snaps a piece of leather on the ground while the other players on offense run through the play. It’s meant to help the defenders play their assignments rather than get caught chasing the ball. There will be a ball Saturday night, though, and the hope is that the Auburn defense can set the tone early and create an identity the first week like it did a year ago in the season opener against Clemson.
    West Georgia Eagle
    Temple, GA
    Class of 1981

Default Re: From AUBURN

Someone needs to explain to them that they are the school with two mascots not us.

Reading what Auburn boards I can find there really seems to be genuine respect for the program, though not for this team. I've said before that those near-misses against Power 5s do help (though like I said you do need to win some of them).
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

4. Default Re: From AUBURN

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    Someone needs to explain to them that they are the school with two mascots not us.
    They don't have two mascots, according to them anyway.

Can anyone screen cap the actual source? I can't get to it for some reason and want to unleash on our communications people on Twitter.

Also, no, Auburn doesn't have two mascots. We have a mascot and a battle cry.
    Avatar = True Blue sign, standing under the Bill Clinton statue in Pristina, Kosovo, and smoking a cigar.

-Walt Austin, Forgotten5.com

Quote Originally Posted by AUgradGSUgradstudent View Post
    Can anyone screen cap the actual source? I can't get to it for some reason and want to unleash on our communications people on Twitter.

Also, no, Auburn doesn't have two mascots. We have a mascot and a battle cry.
    Having an actual eagle makes that kind of a tough thing to back up.

Kinda like if Georgia Southern had a gator.....

......sort of?
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

I found the article. It was actually written by former ESPN writer Greg Ostendorf who is now apparently an Auburn staff writer. Maybe this explains why he was one of those let go.
    Avatar = True Blue sign, standing under the Bill Clinton statue in Pristina, Kosovo, and smoking a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Having an actual eagle makes that kind of a tough thing to back up.

Kinda like if Georgia Southern had a gator.....

......sort of?
    Or if the Crimson Tide had an Elephant. Or the Volunteers had a dog. The eagle is representative of the battle cry and the legends behind its origin. The only actual mascot is Aubie the Tiger.

The article has been changed, now. I nailed three different Auburn official accounts on Twitter and it's now fixed.

10. Default Re: From AUBURN

Oh Yea..this seems to be the norm getting us confused with GagSt but the biggest thing that erps me is the comment "The Panthers finished No. 29 nationally in rushing (224.17 yards per game) last season", of course meaning Eagles but previously (before CTS) we were top in FBS rushing! I cannot seem to let that go because our talented seniors took the hit!