SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Offense

Default Re: Offense

Quote Originally Posted by EagleNationRising View Post
    Honestly, if I were Cook, I would have set us up to run the flex offense. Once we have that set up and running like a semi well oiled machine for a few games, I'd slowly do the Monken experiment and try adding a few shotgun option sets in practice and in the games to see what has potential and what doesn't. Then by next year, you'd have an entire year of guys that know how to properly execute (in theory) a flexbone option playbook, but also know how to use those same principles (perhaps different fundamentals) to get downfield and block for a shotgun option. Eventually getting us to like 80/20 flex to gun ratio...more or less depending on the opponent. I'm not Cook though...
    Why would you implement a completely different offensive scheme (flexbone) 100% from the beginning and not using shotgun concepts that the team has been working with for the last 3 seasons?

His plan is to do the opposite, use the shotgun since we're familiar with it and slowly work in the flex.

The hallmark of a good coach is recognizing what the players can execute and adapting to them, while slowly implementing your scheme/concepts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
    I expected not see last years playbook and more than 3 plays in that playbook. I think this and the last OCs have become so enamored with running the TO from the Gun/Pistol that we have evolved into this mess. This version of the TO is run too deep just like last year and is extremely slow developing.
    Yep. And, when the D game plan is to commit the D linemen to get across the los at the snap that "slow developing" play is exactly what the D coordinator wants to see. The linebackers are gonna mop up if need be, just let the D line get to the area where the mesh is taking place. No quick hitters out of the gun to slow anybody down.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Why would you implement a completely different offensive scheme (flexbone) 100% from the beginning and not using shotgun concepts that the team has been working with for the last 3 seasons?

His plan is to do the opposite, use the shotgun since we're familiar with it and slowly work in the flex.

The hallmark of a good coach is recognizing what the players can execute and adapting to them, while slowly implementing your scheme/concepts as well.
    You see anything that resembled good execution last night? You see anything new in terms of scheme from last year? The struggle going between these offenses is more uphill going from flex to shotgun than the opposite (if both are option offenses). Fritz made that uphill climb immediately. He used 1 play all year of "what the players knew and could execute" and it resulted in a fumble on the goal line. Monken did as well going the other direction...his problem was that he had to bring in some pieces (Shaw) and no one on the team had any option experience. That's not the case this year.

I feel you can not go back and forth with the flex and in shotgun, completely different blocking for the offensive line. Monken experimenting didn't work and he really was trying new things bc we had no post season and in our must win games like the playoffs and the big games like bama he won't to the bread and butter
    Fritz was a coach that was 100% in the gun and the line was used to blocking in the gun and not switching back and forth. Plus inheriting ellison, Upshaw and breida is a nice gift. I say now with this young team you go to the flex and this way on slow developing plays we are right on the line of scrimmage and imo will result in more positive yardage, even if it's 3 or 4 yards. Also, the o line can cut block and focus on that way of doing things. Starting 5 yards further back with this o line and a young qb that doesn't make quick decisions yet is a recipe for a fast defense to get in the backfield very quickly and we will have result lime last night.

5. Default Re: Offense

Monken had no problem implementing the flex day one upon his hire with immediate success. Poor argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I listened to the first half on the radio so I can't speak to exactly how the defense looked but they gave up over 300 yards and 7.2 per play in the first half.
    Yeah, they also had a lot of good stops. A stop that resulted in a field goal. Two stops that resulted in missed field goals. Had an interception and a sack that resulted in a scoop and score. Those five possessions were enough to keep us in most games. In fact, two turnovers and a defensive TD in one half should be considered really good.

They couldn't keep it up forever as the six straight three and outs took its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Monken had no problem implementing the flex day one upon his hire with immediate success. Poor argument.
    Immediate? Weren't we 4-4 at one point in his first season?
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Immediate? Weren't we 4-4 at one in his first season?
    Preach

Preach

And he had an experienced transfer QB. I really like and respect Coach Monken, but don't understand folks trying to revise history.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

10. Default Re: Offense

Monken won ten games, including two playoff games, and advanced to the semifinals in his first season. If he was 4-4 at any point, and I assume you are correct that he was, he damn sure finished strong.