SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Summers has committed to running the option at GS, starting the day he was hired.

If you really think TK wants to kill the option, the only logical explanation is that he hired Summers to LOSE while running it and thus prove that it isn't the panacea our fans think it is.

Believing that would be stupid, though.
    +1. Also, flexbone coaches don't grow on trees. It's Paul Johnson's offense and most grown men aren't going to spend their life trying to copy another mans work. Cook is as close as it's going to get. It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveEAGLE24 View Post
    +1. Also, flexbone coaches don't grow on trees. It's Paul Johnson's offense and most grown men aren't going to spend their life trying to copy another mans work. Cook is as close as it's going to get. It is what it is
    And having worked with Coach Paul Johnson Coach Cook should know very well how to run an option offense out of the Hambone with the quarterback under the center as a base offense. A back motion at the start of the play, O line technique, rocket toss options, A back seam routes, wide out posts, wide out curls, midline option, pitches, etc.

If our coaching staff truly believes that we have to become a good running football team in order to win games against teams with good defenses as Coach Summers says, shouldn't we get serious by getting under center and taking control of the line of scrimmage? The shotgun is used to make the pass game more efficient, not the run game. Just asking.

3. Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveEAGLE24 View Post
    . Cook is as close as it's going to get. It is what it is
    Cook can run a pure flex in his sleep if need be. It's not copying another coaches work. It's trying to immulate a successful system.

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    And having worked with Coach Paul Johnson Coach Cook should know very well how to run an option offense out of the Hambone with the quarterback under the center as a base offense. A back motion at the start of the play, O line technique, rocket toss options, A back seam routes, wide out posts, wide out curls, midline option, pitches, etc.

If our coaching staff truly believes that we have to become a good running football team in order to win games against teams with good defenses as Coach Summers says, shouldn't we get serious by getting under center and taking control of the line of scrimmage? The shotgun is used to make the pass game more efficient, not the run game. Just asking.
    The shotgun is used to give variety to your run game, not just the pass game.

Cook is fully entrenched in flexbone and he's running a shotgun scheme right now. I think he knows more than we do what he needs to do.

I'm tired of hearing that flexbone is the only way to win any time we struggle in the gun. Ya'll were quiet as **** during the Fritz years though.

5. Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Ya'll were quiet as **** during the Fritz years though.
    A whole year and now one game 2017? Not even close to the Fritz magic. I do believe Cooks offensive system should gain energy starting with New Hampshire and hopefully successfully continues throughout the season. If Cook can't energize a comprehensive offensive scheme, he does have more than enough knowledge to implement the flex. Not demanding that movement now but is an option in the future if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The shotgun is used to give variety to your run game, not just the pass game.

Cook is fully entrenched in flexbone and he's running a shotgun scheme right now. I think he knows more than we do what he needs to do.

I'm tired of hearing that flexbone is the only way to win any time we struggle in the gun. Ya'll were quiet as **** during the Fritz years though.
    I believe the last two years now, we run this offense too deep in the backfield and it is way slower than what Fritz ran. We look like a passing team trying to run TO plays.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

7. Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

These people still think the scheme is the problem...my Lord you dumb dumbs are too much.

We have 3 previous successful option coordinators on staff. They know what they're ****ing doing.

We got killed because we're nowhere near as talented on offense as we think we are. Especially on the o line.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Cook can run a pure flex in his sleep if need be. It's not copying another coaches work. It's trying to immulate a successful system.
    So far it's more like they are immolating a successful system.

We look like a passing team trying to run TO plays.

This is exactly right. The problem I see is we are not running any option at all. Whether its in the flex or in the gun it all starts with the fullback dive or fullback up the middle in the gun. The qb has to read the linebackers and defense on the handoff to the fullback and be able to pull it out of his hands and roll to the outside and run or pitch or step back and throw. All we do now is hand it off for the fb to go up the middle or we don't fake it, we just roll to the outside. I hate seeing 2 guys behind our qb and once the ball is snapped we roll to the outside, when yiu are in the gun this gives the defense 5 to 7 yards to get to our qb and has time for them to bave guys covering the pitch man also. Under center we are at the line of scrimmage so it hits the defense quicker. The last 2 years we do not makeep a read and pull it out of the fb hands so it is not an option at all. I am hoping cooks plans get better this saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
    I believe the last two years now, we run this offense too deep in the backfield and it is way slower than what Fritz ran. We look like a passing team trying to run TO plays.
    Have you actually gone back and looked at how deep we were in the gun and compared it to last night? Or is this a memory thing?

You might be surprised if you look.

We're 5 yards deep in that play. We were about 4 yards deep last night. This is just one quick play I found, there's plenty more out there.