Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Klak is one of the few guys who has any idea what he's talking about. Watching folks on this board attempt to break down what they saw is mind numbing.
    Flight Line Follies.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Klak is one of the few guys who has any idea what he's talking about. Watching folks on this board attempt to break down what they saw is mind numbing.
    Love you to death Buzz, but there are many on this board including yourself who have been around long enough to know that the stuff we saw all last year and again last night was nowhere near the option attack we are known for.

edit: were known for

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We ran plenty of option.

We didn't run much triple.
    In those "option packages" we ran with Ellison in 2016, we seemed to spend a lot more time meshing and reading the inside zone dive than in the two previous years.

In 2014-2015, either we were reading the dive earlier and not bothering to mesh fully, or we were adding dive "eye candy" to plays that were designed to be double option on the edge.

If everything that LOOKED like triple triple option really was so in 2014-2015, then we made quicker dive reads and got out of the mesh more quickly than any offense I've ever seen.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

4. Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    Love you to death Buzz, but there are many on this board including yourself who have been around long enough to know that the stuff we saw all last year and again last night was nowhere near the option attack we are known for.

edit: were known for
    Well yeah...we ain't known for stinking up the joint, but if we're talking about whether the Cook scheme is broken... didn't look like it to me. We just got outgunned BIG time.

Last year I could tell that our actual running game scheme was fundamentally flawed by week 3. Our talent disguised how bad it actually was.

This year we have a competent scheme, but the Tigers exposed our talent. We didn't block a soul all night and our freshman QB was a deer in the headlights on every 3rd down.

Again...I see UNH as far more of a measuring Stick. I always have. I thought we would have trouble with them even before the season. In my opinion UNH is probably equal to the bottom half of the SunBelt.

If we can't muster 30 points against UNH, it's time to REALLY start worrying. Then I'll know whether my 6-6 prediction is in jeopardy.

What's killing me about this board (I love this board!) right now is, without even having to go back and look, VERY few predicted this game to be close at all. & then the outrage. I'm too confused.

6. Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    What's killing me about this board (I love this board!) right now is, without even having to go back and look, VERY few predicted this game to be close at all. & then the outrage. I'm too confused.
    You're confusing points scored and win/loss with sound fundamentals. Few people expected the game to be close, but the absolute trash on offense was worse than anyone feared. It was the same nonsense as last year and that's the one thing we all hoped would change. This is not a Georgia Southern offense. This is a completely broken group of 11 people just bumbling around with no idea what they're supposed to do. Furthermore, being outraged at a historically bad night has nothing to do with expectations. Knowing that you're going to inhale vigorously does not lessen the blow when you inhale vigorously THAT HARD. Than's what's wrong is we're already just accepting that Georgia Southern has gone to **** and saying "oh well, we will do ok in the Sun Belt, so it doesn't matter that we've fallen off the face of the earth out of conference." This abomination is not what we signed up for in the FBS. Punting our hopes and dreams of being "one of the big boys" away and just accepting that we're a team that averages 6-6 on a 10 year cycle and a terrible bowl game every 3 or 4 years is exactly what I wanted to avoid. The amount of "scaling back" of our dreams lately is disheartening. Oh well. This is our new reality. Maybe we'll beat State one of these days and that will be good enough. That's how far we've fallen.

7. Default Re: It was nice to see the coach we should have hired

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    You're confusing points scored and win/loss with sound fundamentals. Few people expected the game to be close, but the absolute trash on offense was worse than anyone feared. It was the same nonsense as last year and that's the one thing we all hoped would change. This is not a Georgia Southern offense. This is a completely broken group of 11 people just bumbling around with no idea what they're supposed to do. Furthermore, being outraged at a historically bad night has nothing to do with expectations. Knowing that you're going to inhale vigorously does not lessen the blow when you inhale vigorously THAT HARD. Than's what's wrong is we're already just accepting that Georgia Southern has gone to **** and saying "oh well, we will do ok in the Sun Belt, so it doesn't matter that we've fallen off the face of the earth out of conference." This abomination is not what we signed up for in the FBS. Punting our hopes and dreams of being "one of the big boys" away and just accepting that we're a team that averages 6-6 on a 10 year cycle and a terrible bowl game every 3 or 4 years is exactly what I wanted to avoid. The amount of "scaling back" of our dreams lately is disheartening. Oh well. This is our new reality. Maybe we'll beat State one of these days and that will be good enough. That's how far we've fallen.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    Unfortunately, we are not a reload team. We are a rebuilding team. We have EIGHT seniors. We looked inept all of last year. That will not be the case this year even though we are very young.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    Unfortunately, we are not a reload team. We are a rebuilding team. We have EIGHT seniors. We looked inept all of last year. That will not be the case this year even though we are very young.
    NO, don't tell anybody anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    In those "option packages" we ran with Ellison in 2016, we seemed to spend a lot more time meshing and reading the inside zone dive than in the two previous years.

In 2014-2015, either we were reading the dive earlier and not bothering to mesh fully, or we were adding dive "eye candy" to plays that were designed to be double option on the edge.

If everything that LOOKED like triple triple option really was so in 2014-2015, then we made quicker dive reads and got out of the mesh more quickly than any offense I've ever seen.
    Yep. If we're gonna operate with a shotgun scheme outside the tackles is where we have to be strong. We also need to be able to execute a pass game to keep the linebackers & safeties off the edge. We didn't have the pass game needed last year to make it work & I saw no evidence in the game against Auburn that we're any better at it this year. Sure hope I see something against New Hampshire.