Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: 2017 Quick-Cuts

  1. #11

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    We have an odd obsession with comparing our current teams to previous seasons.

    It's obvious now that it's going to take a few games for our offense to look instinctual. Even then last game isn't a good lens to judge the remainder of our season by. The AU team we faced had a much bigger and faster defensive line than the team has practiced against for 6 months and we had a QB that didn't know what to do when the backfield got crowded as quickly as it did.

    UNH is a good FCS team but their defensive line will not live in our backfield the way Auburns did. So we could win this game by 3 or by 53 but we won't really know until we line up and play them. We know it's going to take Werts a few weeks to look "comfortable" in our offense. Luckily for him we don't start conference play till week 5.5 because of two byes.

  2. #12

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by blueisbetterthanpurple View Post
    You had me agreeing with everything until you said Hatcher's scheme wasn't broken. How do you figure that? In 2010 Monken took over with the same players and took us to the semis.
    Keep in mind that if the playoffs were 20 teams under hatcher he would've had playoff appearances too.

  3. #13

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by blueisbetterthanpurple View Post
    You had me agreeing with everything until you said Hatcher's scheme wasn't broken. How do you figure that? In 2010 Monken took over with the same players and took us to the semis.
    2009 was a case study in what happens when you put true freshman in all over the place and inexperienced skill players in, and expect productivity.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.





  4. #14

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by blueisbetterthanpurple View Post
    You had me agreeing with everything until you said Hatcher's scheme wasn't broken. How do you figure that? In 2010 Monken took over with the same players and took us to the semis.
    Because teams run the air raid (or at least incorporate those passing principles in their offense) and have success.

    There is a difference between being an inept 12-month manager of the program and not knowing what you're doing as far as putting a palatable scheme in place and coaching it on game day.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 4th September 2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    22,635

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I've got a strong feeling the "but it was Auburn" people are in for a rude awakening this week. Hope I'm wrong.

    I can tell the difference between what we did Saturday and what we did last year, but I don't need to be able to do that to know that no Georgia Southern offense worth a crap puts up the kind of numbers it did against any college defense. If you really doubt me, go look up box scores of even FCS teams playing top 10 FBS teams. You won't find many FCS teams held to under 100 yards. Heck that inept ULM team last year got well over 200 yards against Auburn.

    It's the same way people always say "it's Savannah State. You can't tell anything." Wrong. And people will bring up West Virginia but some of us knew that was coming the day Ellison's suspension was announced. The defensive statistics (YPP, third downs, etc) aren't comparable, either.

    Unless we get better in this week of practice we are in for a dog fight against New Hampshire.
    I knew something was wrong watching the Savannah State game last year.

    Just like I knew there was something wrong in 2003.

    Looking at this from Sat night, I see a lot of things we're doing right (as well as mistakes), but nothing just feels WRONG like it all did last year.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

    Arkansas State University

    October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2


  6. #16

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I knew something was wrong watching the Savannah State game last year.

    Just like I knew there was something wrong in 2003.

    Looking at this from Sat night, I see a lot of things we're doing right (as well as mistakes), but nothing just feels WRONG like it all did last year.
    My number 1 worry right now is the offensive line. It's not like our OL is full of babies or guys who haven't been through a real S&C program since they started college ball.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    22,635

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    My number 1 worry right now is the offensive line. It's not like our OL is full of babies or guys who haven't been through a real S&C program since they started college ball.
    No they're not.

    Some of the issues can be cleaned up. There was bad technique Sat night. Some of the attempts at cut blocking were piss poor. We didn't grab guys inside (saw several times we tried wrapping our arms around them to block them). Sometimes our guys saw more than one guy and hesitated to block one because they tried to block both and failed.

    Some of that stuff won't be fixed by a longer camp....it takes playing a live opponent. It just so happens the opponent we played has a really good defensive front.

    It looks a lot like going back and watching the WVU game. Guys missing blocks all over the place because they don't anticipate the speed and power of the defense, and then the QB gets rattled and it starts unraveling. Yea we got more yards.....but yards don't score points and we got a big 0 that night too.

    The scheme is good....we've just got to get more confident in it and execute at the level we're used to seeing.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

    Arkansas State University

    October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2


  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    4,379

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I knew something was wrong watching the Savannah State game last year.

    Just like I knew there was something wrong in 2003.

    Looking at this from Sat night, I see a lot of things we're doing right (as well as mistakes), but nothing just feels WRONG like it all did last year.
    I'm reserving that thought for now, because I had flashbacks all night Saturday night of last year, now if we show improvement that will be better than last year where we peaked in the spring game.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

    "We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

  9. #19

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    A moment of levity if I may. My 13 yo son bleeds blue and has been upset about the game of course. He said this this morning and it cracked me up:

    "I just want to go home, pull up Kaptain Klak on YouTube, watch the GoDaddy Bowl replay and eat ice cream to make myself feel better."

    Just another way to say thanks for all your video work Klak, its much appreciated!
    Once won an argument with half

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

  10. Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    No they're not.

    Some of the issues can be cleaned up. There was bad technique Sat night. Some of the attempts at cut blocking were piss poor. We didn't grab guys inside (saw several times we tried wrapping our arms around them to block them). Sometimes our guys saw more than one guy and hesitated to block one because they tried to block both and failed.

    Some of that stuff won't be fixed by a longer camp....it takes playing a live opponent. It just so happens the opponent we played has a really good defensive front.

    It looks a lot like going back and watching the WVU game. Guys missing blocks all over the place because they don't anticipate the speed and power of the defense, and then the QB gets rattled and it starts unraveling. Yea we got more yards.....but yards don't score points and we got a big 0 that night too.

    The scheme is good....we've just got to get more confident in it and execute at the level we're used to seeing.
    The offensive "scheme" against Auburn didnt look any different than last year's to me.

Similar Threads

  1. GSU budget cuts on AJC
    By 1peatfor7 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th August 2009, 09:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •