Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: 2017 Quick-Cuts

  1. #61

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    I posted this on the Eagle's Nest, but I will post it here also for those that don't want to watch the replay but don't understand what went wrong Saturday. We ran a good bit of true triple option, believe it or not, but missed blocks and the speed and athleticism of Auburns defense ruined any chances of being successful. Here are two examples of what could go right, even against a fast defense, and how easily a play can be ruined. The first play is the play where Werts had a big run, arguably our most successful play in the game.



    Presnap - 4-2-5 defensive alignment. We are running a triple to the short side of the field again. Top WR is going to work inside to block, LT #77 is pulling to lead the way, leaving that DE unblocked for the read



    Nothing fancy blocking wise - everyone blocks down, center works up to backside LB, 77 pulls around the end, Werts reads the end, who in real time does not move much, but flinches to the inside just enough to make Werts pull it.



    You can see the end is trying to change direction, but as I said, he sat just enough to let Werts' quickness give him leverage. Werts still takes the play wide and the pitch relationship seems tight, but he was decisive and was able to make a play. You can see the playside WR is pulling his guy out of the play as he is coming in to block the safety. Fields is now in position to block the other, backside safety.



    Receiver engages the safety, the CB drops off but 77 is there to pick him up. At this point it looks like Auburn's LB #48 has a shot, but Werts turns on the jets.



    He eventually gets run down after a small stumble. I think even he was surprised at how open that alley was after being stuffed all game.

    Now, same play, 3 plays later -



    Same formation, same defensive alignment.



    After the snap, we see Werts reading the end who is unblocked by the tackle who again is pulling around to lead block on the perimeter. This time, the safety is playing closer to the line, so the WR to the playside is having to move inside quicker to make the block instead of being able to run his guy downfield.



    The end is frozen again, allowing Werts to pull and head to the outside with Ramsby waiting for the pitch. However, as you can see in the blue square, the receiver has missed the block, allowing the safety to come in and blow up the play. If he makes that block, and Werts gets the end to commit, he can pitch to Ramsby who has plenty of field out in front of him (provided 77 makes his block downfield). Instead...



    Stopped for a loss.

    So that shows how important the blocking was to our success, or lack thereof on Saturday. Auburns defense was very fast and very athletic, and were able to be disruptive to a team that is running this offense for the first time in real speed against someone new. I don't think we'll face anyone that has 11 players anywhere near that level the rest of the year, so hopefully we can make the necessary adjustments and be able to have more success like in the first play, and not the second.

  2. #62

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    That is great and a nice recap. But my problem is starting 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage gives a defense more time to escape the blocker and move to the ball. And is especially true of bigger, stronger, faster defenses. Under center doesn't allow the defense to move to the ball bc even the slightest cut block or regular block creates a hole that won't be filled right away allowing our ball carrier to hit it.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    22,613

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    That is great and a nice recap. But my problem is starting 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage gives a defense more time to escape the blocker and move to the ball. And is especially true of bigger, stronger, faster defenses. Under center doesn't allow the defense to move to the ball bc even the slightest cut block or regular block creates a hole that won't be filled right away allowing our ball carrier to hit it.
    We were cutting Sat night, and we missed a lot of them. We also were getting manhandled when attempting to drive the DL off the line.

    The flexbone requires a push from the OL to give a clean mesh since it happens so close, basically at, the Line of Scrimmage. Without that, the dive is gone.

    Cleaner execution and familiarity in the scheme is the only thing that would have really helped Saturday night. The flex isn't some magic button you press and everything is fixed.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

    Arkansas State University

    October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2


  4. Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We were cutting Sat night, and we missed a lot of them. We also were getting manhandled when attempting to drive the DL off the line.

    The flexbone requires a push from the OL to give a clean mesh since it happens so close, basically at, the Line of Scrimmage. Without that, the dive is gone.

    Cleaner execution and familiarity in the scheme is the only thing that would have really helped Saturday night. The flex isn't some magic button you press and everything is fixed.
    Thank you.

    Bottom line. "You have to BLOCK and sustain BLOCKS...they whipped our fannies" - Jeff Monken (infamous Citadel 2012 loss rant)

  5. #65

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Thank you.

    Bottom line. "You have to BLOCK and sustain BLOCKS...they whipped our fannies" - Jeff Monken (infamous Citadel 2012 loss rant)
    Coach Zo says blocking and sacks are the most important things.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

  6. #66

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We were cutting Sat night, and we missed a lot of them. We also were getting manhandled when attempting to drive the DL off the line.

    The flexbone requires a push from the OL to give a clean mesh since it happens so close, basically at, the Line of Scrimmage. Without that, the dive is gone.

    Cleaner execution and familiarity in the scheme is the only thing that would have really helped Saturday night. The flex isn't some magic button you press and everything is fixed.
    How about this scenario...put the exact same lineup from our 2013 win over florida in fritz's system against the exact florida team. Do you think we win? I know you will say yes but we wouldnt. Florida's defense would have had 5-7 yards to attack the outside. They would have gotten blocked but had time to adjust and get to our backs. I am not saying the flex isn't without many problems, much like all offenses but to run the same triple option I would take under center and our history supports it.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    22,613

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    How about this scenario...put the exact same lineup from our 2013 win over florida in fritz's system against the exact florida team. Do you think we win? I know you will say yes but we wouldnt. Florida's defense would have had 5-7 yards to attack the outside. They would have gotten blocked but had time to adjust and get to our backs. I am not saying the flex isn't without many problems, much like all offenses but to run the same triple option I would take under center and our history supports it.
    You mean the lineup that had been running the flex since 2010 and showed struggles in shotgun concepts that same year?

    Simply running the flex isn't the answer.

    We were trash in the flex at the beginning of 2010. PJ had misfires at Navy his first year, he also had misfires at GT his first year. It's not an instant win button.

    We were executing some of the same fundamentals that have been used in the flex in the past and were failing to execute them at the level necessary to be successful.

    The problem is that a lot of people would have been happy if the flex had **** the bed at Auburn instead of the shotgun, just because we were running the flex again. That's just dumb.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

    Arkansas State University

    October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2


  8. Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    [QUOTE=eaglewraith;858310]. PJ had misfires at Navy his first year, he also had misfires at GT his first year. .[k/QUOTE]

    PJ misfired at GT his 1st year? 2008.......9-4 and a bowl?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    22,613

    Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    [QUOTE=eaglefan200;858312]
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    . PJ had misfires at Navy his first year, he also had misfires at GT his first year. .[k/QUOTE]

    PJ misfired at GT his 1st year? 2008.......9-4 and a bowl?
    There were some games early on that were shaky. He's lucky he had a loaded roster from Chan Gailey and people underestimated how good Dwyer was.

    I understand he was winning, but he was winning ugly. It wasn't a seamless transition.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

    Arkansas State University

    October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2


  10. Default Re: 2017 Quick-Cuts

    [QUOTE=eaglewraith;858313]
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post


    I understand he was winning, but he was winning ugly. It wasn't a seamless transition.
    I wouldn't classify that record as a misfire. An ugly win is a win and the season may not have been smooth but the flex transition......mission accomplished.

Similar Threads

  1. GSU budget cuts on AJC
    By 1peatfor7 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th August 2009, 09:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •