SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TIM STOWERS NEEDS TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME

1. Default Re: TIM STOWERS NEEDS TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    .. and went on to do nothing in terms of championship coaching again. Good guy who has made a decent career coaching football. Not HOF caliber
    That could be said for some that are already there. Not advocating at all, but the process is really not the best.

2. Default Re: TIM STOWERS NEEDS TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME

As a member of the "media" I can say I liked Tim Stowers and he was pretty easy to get along with. I'd say he belongs in the GA Southern HOF. Only 3 coaches have won National Championships and he was one of them period. As for the whole he won with Erk's players yes he did and John Gruden won with Tony Dungy's players it's still tough to win a National Title. I'd have thought over time some people would look back and realize that. He is and was also a good man, hand picked by Erk to take over, and to slam him is kind of sad in my opinion but I understand many of you never got to know him.

Default Re: TIM STOWERS NEEDS TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by BullochHLN View Post
    As a member of the "media" I can say I liked Tim Stowers and he was pretty easy to get along with. I'd say he belongs in the GA Southern HOF. Only 3 coaches have won National Championships and he was one of them period. As for the whole he won with Erk's players yes he did and John Gruden won with Tony Dungy's players it's still tough to win a National Title. I'd have thought over time some people would look back and realize that. He is and was also a good man, hand picked by Erk to take over, and to slam him is kind of sad in my opinion but I understand many of you never got to know him.
    I always found him to be nice at Booster events back in the day and never understood the contempt people show for him. Sure there were players Erk recruited who were on the team that won the NC, but that is always the case with a coaching change.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

There are certainly two ways to look at it. Not to many coaches under the age of 40 have ever won a title. I know at the time he was the youngest coach to have ever done so, and I'm pretty sure he was 32.

IMO, no one outside of maybe PJ could have followed behind Erk and have been effective at being BOTH the coach and public face at that level, at that time. At least in a public facing manner, Tim didn't have that rah-rah approach that did hurt him with some Boosters. He wasn't the most engaging speaker. He was sort of the opposite of Erk in that setting, again ... in my opinion.

As for the Hall of Fame ? Its going to be hard for some to get past the fact he sued the school over his termination. Right or wrong, booster numbers tanked during his tenure. We saw some erosion of our home field advantage against teams we should have beaten. 71.8% winning percentage, barely better than Sewak's 71.4% percentage.

So it boils down in my opinion to a single question. Is winning the 1990 title the benchmark ? The SoCon championship in '93 ? I don't keep him out based on his ability to interact with the booster base, but does the rest of his coaching record while at Southern color those 2 major achievements ? Everyone will have to answer for themselves, but losing to W.Georgia and Troy the way we did at home, will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

That doesn't mean Tim isn't a nice guy.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Monken is eligible for the HoF next year. He is 7-3 in playoff games, undefeated in quarterfinal games, Stowers 6-2 and 1-2 in quarterfinal games. Monken won 2 SoCon championships in 3 seasons of being eligible, Stowers 1 in 3 years of eligibility.

I'd argue that it was harder to win SoCon and national championships in the 90s, but if you wouldn't do that, I don't see how you can induct Stowers but not Monken.

BTW, as far as HoF inductees, the one person I think is most due is Jermaine Austin. He's basically the program leader in rushing yards not counting AP's bat-**** insane numbers that will probably not be matched in any of our lifetimes.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    Our fan base is crazy. Tim Stowers won a national championship as head coach and 69 percent of his games, and he was an assistant on three other national championship teams here.

Yes, his offense was boring and the tail end of his tenure here was rough, but cut the man some slack. It's been two decades. He was a good Eagle and an integral part of our early success. Show the man some respect.
    Tim Stowers made the mistake in hiring Coach Mike Hodges to run the O, imho. Quarterback to the left, quarterback to the right, quarterback up the middle, punt. My wife even knew what was coming next. Surely the D coordinators knew what was coming also. Our inability to complete passes when needed hurt us during that coaching staff's tenure. The loss to West Georgia highlighted that fact. There's no way the game should have come down to that fumble as we were going in for a touchdown to win it at the end of the game. We should've been so far out in front at that point that we could have just sat on the ball & run the game clock out. West Georgia had 45 scholarship players.

Coach Stowers could've opted for a more wide open offensive attack during his tenure & he'd probably have a better record after the national championship year. I sure wish he had. More folks may have gotten behind the program if this had happened. When I asked about the offensive plan for the coming season I remember him telling me, "we're gonna play good old Georgia Southern football". I'm pretty sure it was still quarterback to the left, quarterback to the right, quarterback up the middle, punt.

Does someone that sued you after he was fired belong in the hall of fame....not in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFaceMasks View Post
    Does someone that sued you after he was fired belong in the hall of fame....not in my book.

Well there goes Gillespie and Dean's chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Yeah i was pulling for em to get in until that happened

10. Default Re: TIM STOWERS NEEDS TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME

They don't make them anymore like Hall of Famer Pat Spurgeon.

Patrick “Doc” Spurgeon played on the Emory & Henry football teams from 1949-51 after transferring in from Virginia Military Academy. He was a crushing blocker who played both offense and defense. During his time as a Wasp, the football squad won the Smoky Mountain Athletic Conference Championship all three years and played twice in the Burley and Tangerine Bowls. He made First Team All-Conference as a fullback and linebacker, as well as All-Virginia Little Six, and his career record as a starter was 30-3-1. Spurgeon was inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.

In addition to football, Spurgeon was also a two-year letterman in baseball. Known on campus not only for his prowess in athletics, Spurgeon was a diligent and respected English major. In addition to his athletics accolades, he also won the Robertson Oratorical medal and the Collins Essay Medal.

Spurgeon went on the earn a M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Tennessee in 1963 and became an English professor at Georgia Southern University, where he also served as a football scout and kicking coach for the Georgia Southern football team.
    In 2014, Spurgeon was named to the Georgia Southern Athletics Hall of Fame as well. In addition to his years of coaching at Georgia Southern, Spurgeon also coached at Youngstown State and Ohio State University as a result of his ties to Coach Jim Tressel. During his career as an assistant coach, he earned nine national championship rings (4 at Georgia Southern, 4 at Youngstown State, and 1 at Ohio State) and coached three All-American punters and five All-American kickers. His career coaching record was 555-125.
    http://hof.ehc.edu/members/pat-spurgeon/

http://gseagles.com/hof.aspx?hof=137