SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook on our offense

Default Re: Cook on our offense

Quote Originally Posted by mrklean View Post
    This is total BULL****!!!! PJ installed that Offense less than 6 months when he became the coach of Tech and its been working ever since. It does not take a year to do. More lies from this coaching staff.
    It's possible, I suppose, that Cook and all of his staff are in fact reptilian cryptids whose sole purpose in accepting their positions here was to hatch a nefarious plan to sabotage our storied program. It's possible that he's 'lying' about what his rationale is for running something other than pure flexbone, and that he secretly hates the offense, and that his tenure under PJ was simply part of his 'deep cover' to prepare him for his ultimate task as a manchurian candidate.

But I don't think its' very reasonable. Probably more likely he's simply telling the truth and you disagree with his thought process. He could be wrong, or off base, but I don't think he's 'lying'.

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Interesting that monken had no problem taking hatcher's recruits and going right under center and leading us to the semis. I know I know, jaybo shaw as qb helped but it's still about the timing of the slot backs etc. Paul Johnson also had no problem in his first year at tech going to his offense. Just tired of hearing excuses on anything anymore, just go out and win.
    It's a shame when any attempt at explaining what you're trying to do, while acknowledging your failures and pointing to areas where you need to improve, is immediately deemed 'making excuses'. Apparently, any statement other than 'we all inhale vigorously and shouldn't be here' is an 'excuse'.
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

2. Default Re: Cook on our offense

This is total BULL****!!!! PJ installed that Offense less than 6 months when he became the coach of Tech and its been working ever since. It does not take a year to do. More lies from this coaching staff.
    uhm...are you delusional? I guess we should ignore that Tech had 13-15 guys that made an NFL roster (including 2 Senior OL in 2008) at one point or another??? ...and that doesn't include Nesbitt who was a 4 star recruit playing QB... Yeah, cupboard was empty there. :eyeroll: You think that PJ would have had success if he had taken the job with only 3-5 NFL guys on the roster?
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

I know right... I mean look at some of the explosion numbers with Monken and Johnson vs opponents of equal or greater quality in their first year of installing the offense. *EXCLUDING CUPCAKES*

Monken vs Navy 2010: 73 yards.. 1.9 YPC (WERE SUPPOSE TO WIN GAME)

CJP vs Boston College 2008: 162 yards.. 4.1 YPC (which is low for the flexbone fanboys here)

Cook vs Auburn 70 yards... 1.4 YPC (wait.. that number looks familiar)

/s

Funny thing is.. we had little outrage over the results of the Navy game.. and the yardage is nearly identical to the Auburn game. Credit Klak for mentioning the Navy/Auburn similarities during lunch yesterday.

http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthrea...highlight=navy

Where is all the outrage? Where is all the doom and gloom? Oh thats right.. Monken was able to kick in Savannah St's teeth and show off the offense before Navy. We have yet to have our FCS game. Monken and CPJ had tune up games before going against true competition.

Please lets not jump off the cliff (trust me.. I had to fight that urge Saturday) and not pass judgement just against top tier FBS opponents. Its amazing what context can do you for you.

If we loose to UNH... well... then I'll really panic.
    Last edited by TheEagleWay; 6th September 2017 at 07:25 AM.
    Matthew Gillespie
    BBA Finance 2008
    Theta Xi

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Monken improved our record from 5-6 (2009) to 7-4 (2010). That's +2 wins. I still expect us to go +2 this year too.

And really, it's not like the 2010 offense was really that good. It was basically 2016 -- it just looked more familiar.

2010 Yards Per Play: 5.18
    2016 Yards Per Play: 5.24

2010 Yards Per Carry: 4.61
    2016 Yards Per Carry: 4.44

2010 Points Per Game: 27.53
    2016 Points Per Game: 26.58
    Good points! We will be fine just ready to get there as we all are.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Some good, candid insight on what we're doing and why:

(Sorry for posting text - couldn't get it to link)

[FONT="]STATESBORO — Those wanting Georgia Southern’s offense to look like Georgia Tech’s may be in for a long wait.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]It’s not that new offensive coordinator Bryan Cook has anything against the scheme the Yellow Jackets run. He came to Statesboro after serving four seasons as Tech’s quarterback’s coach.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]“That offense has had tremendous success,” Cook told members of the media during a Monday press conference. “I love that offense.”[/FONT]
    [FONT="]That success was on display in primetime Monday night when the Yellow Jackets fell one point short in a wild 42-41 double-overtime loss to Tennessee. Georgia Tech ran over the Volunteers, totaling 665 yards of offense, including 249 yards and five touchdowns from quarterback TaQuon Marshall.

[/FONT]

[FONT="]But installing that stapled Paul Johnson under-center flexbone is going to take longer than a spring season, a fall camp and maybe even a full season. The biggest challenge is, the Eagles don’t have the right personnel to run Georgia Tech’s option, Cook said.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]“What we tried to do was take what was in the locker room and see what they did best and make a decision based on how we were going to win week one, week two with what we had in the locker room, and take a lot of those concepts from that offense and try to marry into what we have in the locker room,” he said. “Up front, this offensive line has been built for zone scheme. When we got here, they were bigger bodies. We felt like to give us the best chance to win, those guys probably needed to stay in the zone world. And from the gun, that’s the world that you live in. Under center is very time consuming. It’s not something you can just do a couple times a game.”

[/FONT]

[FONT="]So in the meantime, the Eagles will be working the triple-option out of the gun. Georgia Southern’s debut against Auburn on Saturday went the opposite way of Tech’s.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]The Eagles were swamped by Auburn’s defense throughout the game and managed just 78 yards of total offense. Redshirt freshman quarterback Shai Werts was repeatedly forced to throw on third-and-long, which led to six sacks for the Tigers. The Eagles finished 0 for 15 on third down conversions.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]“You’ve got expectations, and heading into the game I did not feel like we were ready to set the world on fire just having as many guys in new situations and new positions,” Cook said. “I did not think it would be that bad. I did not think the execution level would be as bad as it was. There’s a ton we’ve got to get cleaned up. This week is the biggest week in the season where you can make an improvement. That’s what we’ve got to do.”[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Now the question is, will Cook open the playbook a little more for Werts as the Eagles get set for their home opener against New Hampshire, an FCS opponent, or will he try to hone his focus on something specific?[/FONT]
    [FONT="]“That’s the balance you try to walk,” he said. “You try to develop an offense so that you can have answers for what you’re going to see so that you get experience doing what you’re going to need to do this and be successful, and the flipside of that coin is, you don’t want to give him too much. You want to put him in a position where he’s going to succeed. Not just him. There were a lot of guys out there who had never been in that spot and that type of moment before. It was all new to a lot of guys, not just the quarterback. So the question is, do you try to make it simple and maybe not give them the best advantage with what you’re trying to do schematically and just try to let them play. There’s a fine line you need to walk.”[/FONT]
    [FONT="]And he has to make sure that line doesn’t skid toward trying something new just because things didn’t go well the week before.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]“Our biggest test this offseason, we wanted to have an identity,” he said. “We’ve got to be good at something. Our goal is to get good at running the gun option. There are tradeoffs.”[/FONT]

Well hes the coach but to me we should run option out of the gun and do it the way we did Fritz first year. Problem is with going back under center is you have to recruit for it, but then if the coach is gone the next year then your stuck with recruiting a whole different type of player again which in our case usually means having another couple bad seasons why we try to rebuild. Teams that keep the same type of system like most teams do donnt have to go through such a difficult transition when changing coaching staffs. Plus to me the shotgun offers more options to work from on offense.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

Quote Originally Posted by parr90 View Post
    Well hes the coach but to me we should run option out of the gun and do it the way we did Fritz first year. Problem is with going back under center is you have to recruit for it, but then if the coach is gone the next year then your stuck with recruiting a whole different type of player again which in our case usually means having another couple bad seasons why we try to rebuild. Teams that keep the same type of system like most teams do donnt have to go through such a difficult transition when changing coaching staffs. Plus to me the shotgun offers more options to work from on offense.
    Two things:

1) I don't know why you'd hire Cook & Co to run Fritz's offense.

2) I agree about the recruiting differences, but we were asking our blockers to carry out flex-style schemes and techniques Saturday. We used a fair amount of zone, but we were asking our tackles to do many of the same things you'd need a Fred Stokes, Rich McGrath, or Brett Moore to execute. To me, T is the only position where the change in scheme is an issue. We've got the personnel for the other nine positions on the field.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I wonder if this means we'll rely more heavily on the zone stuff we used in the second half as we go forward?

As long as we move the ball and score points, I don't really care.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

To all of you TS Fanboys, make all the excuses for Coach Tyson Summers you want, but at the end of the day, you are who you are. He (Coach Summers) can not coach. I said this before the start of the 1016 season and I''m saying this now. He will be fired at the end of the season. The fact that we (GSU) did not make a first down the entire first, tells me that we have some serious problems on the OL. HE had an entire off season to address that. Playing a crappy I-AA team will not fix that problem. This hurts me to say this but we have a problem with our AD and he needs to go.
    CLASS OF '92
    B.S. Criminal Justice

9. Default Re: Cook on our offense

To all of you TS Fanboys, make all the excuses for Coach Tyson Summers you want, but at the end of the day, you are who you are. He (Coach Summers) can not coach. I said this before the start of the 1016 season and I''m saying this now. He will be fired at the end of the season. The fact that we (GSU) did not make a first down the entire first, tells me that we have some serious problems on the OL. HE had an entire off season to address that. Playing a crappy I-AA team will not fix that problem. This hurts me to say this but we have a problem with our AD and he needs to go.
    I mean, I'm not even disagreeing with this statement. But to state the coaching staff is "lying"? #ComonMan Don't let your blind hate for the way we are playing/coaching carry over to the coaches as individuals or humans. I think the coaching staff needs to go as well, but let's keep in mind that in 2002 PJ went 2-10 at Navy (including a 10 games losing streak) - which was an improvement sure, but not much of one.

And that's a coach who knows this offense better than anyone alive today most likely.
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Good points! We will be fine just ready to get there as we all are.
    NM
    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Atleast 7-5 with a legit shot at 8-4.

Only chance of this team winning less than 6 games is if it's ravenged by injuries. Anybody predicting 4 wins or some crap like that is clueless. Post Arkansas St game is going to be fun around here to watch the crow being eaten. Heck, even post UNH is going to provide some fun.