SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Game in Birmingham

1. Default Re: Game in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Do you have any idea where Gainesville, Florida is located? In case you didn't, it's hundreds of miles SOUTH of Statesboro. Their game has been moved to a noon start Saturday. Why didn't we do the same?

The folks down there know a lot more about hurricanes than you and TK. And BTW, its right there at a major interstate so they are aware of contraflow. And UF has double the enrollment of GS. The game should be played in Statesboro unless the hurricane doubles in speed and heads this way. I'll send you some pics from Paulson Saturday afternoon.
    You do realize that if the hurricane suddenly "doubles in speed and heads" in that direction you cannot just change the game location to a another state at the last minute, right? Especially when the visiting team/fan base is traveling from over 1,000 miles away.

Default Re: Game in Birmingham

I personally like "The B-irma-ham Bowl"...
    Poster formerly known as BrendanGSU

Chances the band can make the trip? Anything that could help the probably tame atmosphere.
    Poster formerly known as BrendanGSU

Band is not going. My source is a friend of mine in the band.

Can we tailgate for free in the parking lot next to the stadium?

6. Default Re: Game in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Debated going through Columbus to Opelika and sticking with 280 instead of interstates. 280 is four laned the entire way to Bham.
    Go 280. Always take that route from bham to boro passing through WR and much better than interstates

A category 5 hurricane that is already claiming lives is heading for the Southeast. Millions of people are going to be leaving behind their homes and taking whatever they can and heading north. Statesboro a town that floods in almost every August storm is in the impact zone and is an area that people need to get out of sooner rather than later. In case some of you don't understand what contraflow is, it is when both sides of the interstate are going the same direction. All four lanes on I-16 will be going West on Saturday. I imagine 95 will be doing the same thing.

As a result, there will be major gridlock on the interstate all going west which means a large portion of fans will not be able to get there anyway. The visiting team would have an extremely hard time even getting to and from the airport. And we would be turning fans lose and adding to nightmare situation that is already going to exist on that road.

This is the right thing to do. Does it inhale vigorously? Yea it does. I don't care what Florida and Florida State are doing. They are idiots for even considering playing this game. They should have done what Mark Richt did and told his players to do what they needed to do and get out of there. The devastation this storm is causing and will continue to cause is much more important to worry about than a college football game.

Looks like me and the Mrs will get back just in time. Leave Vegas Friday early, arrive in Savannah mid/late afternoon.

9. Default Re: Game in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    Because 16 is gonna be contraflow.
    Yep.

I 16 will be full hardcore zombie land.

Even that far out.

Problem is at least half of Florida will be trying to get out any way they can. It's gonna get bad.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    A category 5 hurricane that is already claiming lives is heading for the Southeast. Millions of people are going to be leaving behind their homes and taking whatever they can and heading north. Statesboro a town that floods in almost every August storm is in the impact zone and is an area that people need to get out of sooner rather than later. In case some of you don't understand what contraflow is, it is when both sides of the interstate are going the same direction. All four lanes on I-16 will be going West on Saturday. I imagine 95 will be doing the same thing.

As a result, there will be major gridlock on the interstate all going west which means a large portion of fans will not be able to get there anyway. The visiting team would have an extremely hard time even getting to and from the airport. And we would be turning fans lose and adding to nightmare situation that is already going to exist on that road.

This is the right thing to do. Does it inhale vigorously? Yea it does. I don't care what Florida and Florida State are doing. They are idiots for even considering playing this game. They should have done what Mark Richt did and told his players to do what they needed to do and get out of there. The devastation this storm is causing and will continue to cause is much more important to worry about than a college football game.
    If you can't get this, it isn't worth discussing further.