Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook Knows Flex

Default Re: Cook Knows Flex

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    Texas was a national power with Darrell Royal and the Wishbone. Their fans didn't find Mack Brown's offense to be disrespectful to his legacy and they don't think that about Tom Herman's state of the art up tempo spread.
    What we're going through now has nothing to do with the fanbase's option fixation. Zero, zilch, zip.

Plus, we're not Texas (not sure if you realize the weakness of your analogy).
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    What's the point of going under center?

Yesterday began the process of transitioning to 2018. We have no idea what kind of offense 2018 will bring, so we might as well double down on this hybrid "gun option" stuff, which is a decent interim scheme for anything from flex to genera-spread.

Only better execution will change our fortunes at this point, so there's no benefit in asking our players to learn an even more difficult scheme that requires even more precision and better timing.

Plus, we'd have to take some redshirts off of OL that aren't ready. We simply don't have enough athleticism to go 100% flex without doing that.
    It would change the defenses' angles of attack? It would allow us to hit the los quicker on run plays? It would change O line technique? I'm asking, pete4256.

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    It would change the defenses' angles of attack? It would allow us to hit the los quicker on run plays? It would change O line technique? I'm asking, pete4256.
    Yes, but it's even harder to learn than the hybrid stuff we're doing now.

If we were gonna go that route, we should have started in spring.

Since we're gonna be bad anyway, working on our current stuff will possibly make our next transition easier.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    What's the point of going under center?

Yesterday began the process of transitioning to 2018. We have no idea what kind of offense 2018 will bring, so we might as well double down on this hybrid "gun option" stuff, which is a decent interim scheme for anything from flex to genera-spread.

Only better execution will change our fortunes at this point, so there's no benefit in asking our players to learn an even more difficult scheme that requires even more precision and better timing.

Plus, we'd have to take some redshirts off of OL that aren't ready. We simply don't have enough athleticism to go 100% flex without doing that.
    Pete, I'm not buying the we shouldn't go under center because it's just too hard. Monken did it with Hatcher's soft OL and had success and I'm not buying the well that was FCS stuff either, we were just dominated upfront by a FCS team not really known to play in a running league. This DOT BLocking scheme has just got to stop, it's time to get in the trenches and fire out low and hard and hit somebody, it couldn't be any worse, heck if LA and Wesley don't get hit until the LOS that will be a five yard improvement. We got two weeks, we should see our most improvement between games 2 and 3, I haven't seen any improvement since the spring game 2016, what do we have to lose? I know we have it in our package I saw it in warmups before the AU game.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    Texas was a national power with Darrell Royal and the Wishbone. Their fans didn't find Mack Brown's offense to be disrespectful to his legacy and they don't think that about Tom Herman's state of the art up tempo spread.
    There were 3 coaches and 21 years between those two coaches.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
    Pete, I'm not buying the we shouldn't go under center because it's just too hard. Monken did it with Hatcher's soft OL and had success and I'm not buying the well that was FCS stuff either, we were just dominated upfront by a FCS team not really known to play in a running league. This DOT BLocking scheme has just got to stop, it's time to get in the trenches and fire out low and hard and hit somebody, it couldn't be any worse, heck if LA and Wesley don't get hit until the LOS that will be a five yard improvement. We got two weeks, we should see our most improvement between games 2 and 3, I haven't seen any improvement since the spring game 2016, what do we have to lose? I know we have it in our package I saw it in warmups before the AU game.
    We also did 100% all flex all the time from the moment Monken became coach in Jan 10 until Spring of 11 when we started adding in shotgun.

We've only dabbled in flex at this point. We'd have much less reps in it at this point than the team did in 2010 against SSU to kickoff the season. We also wouldn't have the experience at QB to aid the transition like we did with Jaybo.

Also, we talk about Ramsby like he hits the hole as hard as he can on every play. He's always been a jumpy runner, and tends to try and jump cut out of trouble more than just hitting people. Breida was the guy that hit the hole fast. Fields did too, but it appears he's starting to lose confidence in his blocking.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

Hmm . . . what's to lose?

If we're going to go 2-10 or 3-9 regardless, we might as well run something that will prepare us for the next staff.

If we go full-on flex at this point, we almost certainly will be looking at a radical, difficult scheme change in 2018.

We might as well just keep working and hope that things get better.
    Last edited by pete4256; 10th September 2017 at 05:55 PM.

This is an honest question. Has Coach Cook ever coached the flex when he was on his own as a coordinator or has he always been a "whatever this stuff is that we are running," man?
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We also did 100% all flex all the time from the moment Monken became coach in Jan 10 until Spring of 11 when we started adding in shotgun.

We've only dabbled in flex at this point. We'd have much less reps in it at this point than the team did in 2010 against SSU to kickoff the season. We also wouldn't have the experience at QB to aid the transition like we did with Jaybo.

Also, we talk about Ramsby like he hits the hole as hard as he can on every play. He's always been a jumpy runner, and tends to try and jump cut out of trouble more than just hitting people. Breida was the guy that hit the hole fast. Fields did too, but it appears he's starting to lose confidence in his blocking.
    He's definitely frustrated, his body language and some conversations I have heard definitely support that.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    This is an honest question. Has Coach Cook ever coached the flex when he was on his own as a coordinator or has he always been a "whatever this stuff is that we are running," man?
    Cook coached Flexbone at C-P. He was the Co-OC and called plays. They were multiple in his last season, just like us in 2012.

Bodine has almost entirely coached flex, as has Wood. Wood was a QB in the Run and Shoot and the AFL, though.

I think we should just let them coach what they've prepared. It's almost guaranteed to improve.