SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard to Imagine

Default Re: Hard to Imagine

Quote Originally Posted by GangsterGUS View Post
    And I know the hype that surrounded TS before he became our HC. Obviously that hype was unwarranted and he was not ready.
    Not trying to argue with you, but I honestly cannot remember any "hype" when TS was hired. Ditto for Fritz. I do remember all the "hype" when Hatch's contract was not renewed and Monken was hired. The way I remember it, there was a lot of surprise...."who???"....confusion....concerns about the last defensive minded hire we made......mostly cautious optimism since we just won a bowl game and were looking pretty good at the time. Certainly no one (at least not that I remember) predicted this complete meltdown in the last 1.2 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by SwampEagle View Post
    Not trying to argue with you, but I honestly cannot remember any "hype" when TS was hired. Ditto for Fritz. I do remember all the "hype" when Hatch's contract was not renewed and Monken was hired. The way I remember it, there was a lot of surprise...."who???"....confusion....concerns about the last defensive minded hire we made......mostly cautious optimism since we just won a bowl game and were looking pretty good at the time. Certainly no one (at least not that I remember) predicted this complete meltdown in the last 1.2 years.....
    No you're right, it was mainly "who is that?" But there was that rumor about TS being looked at by Richt for DC at Miami. That was probably complete BS.

3. Default Re: Hard to Imagine

TK and the two previous head coaches butted heads over many issue. TK saw in Tyson Summers someone who he could control somewhat and that became more important to him than actually winnnng.

4. Default Re: Hard to Imagine

I'll take a guy with 5 years of FCS coaching experience over a guy with 5 years of coordinating experience. But, what makes a position coach succeed (Monken, Bohannon) while others fall off a cliff (TS)? Is it how much they are influenced by the HC? Is it how out well they know how the TO works? Monken, Bohannon, Sewak knew it well.. Or, is it just pure luck? I don't think Monken was luck at all. That takes coaching and skill to install an offense and make it succeed in the first year. Bohannon (KSU) not only had to install the offense, but he had a hand in actually building the thing from scratch much like Erk did. (Is it a wonder why Vince Dooley chose to go with TO to start the program, after seeing what his buddy Erk did at GS? I think not!). Count me in as one of the guys that was in the Chadwell corner from the start. I still don't think it's too late to go after him. It can't be much to buyout TS contract after this season. He's only like 14 games in his HC career and our program is already trashed. I can't imagine going another 34 games. No, no, NO.

Why was Monken (for example) successful? Because he had the right temperament to be a HC, and--this is key--he already knew the formula for being successful at Georgia Southern.

He'd been a big part of that success. I'm not saying that we must hire a GS guy, but we need a coach with "architectural" knowledge about how to build success at a place like Georgia Southern.

Monken had it. Fritz had it.

We didn't hire a coach with that kind of knowledge in Summers.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

6. Default Re: Hard to Imagine

There's a certain aptitude that head coaches must possess. And to be honest, we have mostly lucked out with our hiring of head coaches with no prior HC experience. (Erk, PJ, Monken) but its always a crap shoot. You just don't know if that hot coordinator is a good head coach until you know. And if he isn't, then the program pays the price.

We took a gamble with Summers. The same gamble that we have won multiple times in the past. This time we rolled snake eyes. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I'll take a guy with 5 years of FCS coaching experience over a guy with 5 years of coordinating experience. But, what makes a position coach succeed (Monken, Bohannon) while others fall off a cliff (TS)? Is it how much they are influenced by the HC? Is it how out well they know how the TO works? Monken, Bohannon, Sewak knew it well.. Or, is it just pure luck? I don't think Monken was luck at all. That takes coaching and skill to install an offense and make it succeed in the first year. Bohannon (KSU) not only had to install the offense, but he had a hand in actually building the thing from scratch much like Erk did. (Is it a wonder why Vince Dooley chose to go with TO to start the program, after seeing what his buddy Erk did at GS? I think not!). Count me in as one of the guys that was in the Chadwell corner from the start. I still don't think it's too late to go after him. It can't be much to buyout TS contract after this season. He's only like 14 games in his HC career and our program is already trashed. I can't imagine going another 34 games. No, no, NO.
    Chadwell is currently the intern HC at Coastal. We're not getting him. I was a huge Chadwell guy too.

8. Default Re: Hard to Imagine

Quote Originally Posted by GangsterGUS View Post
    Chadwell is currently the intern HC at Coastal. We're not getting him. I was a huge Chadwell guy too.
    I forgot about that. Do we have the money to out do them... He can't be getting that much right now. That's too bad, I think he'll do really well there.

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    There's a certain aptitude that head coaches must possess. And to be honest, we have mostly lucked out with our hiring of head coaches with no prior HC experience. (Erk, PJ, Monken) but its always a crap shoot. You just don't know if that hot coordinator is a good head coach until you know. And if he isn't, then the program pays the price.

We took a gamble with Summers. The same gamble that we have won multiple times in the past. This time we rolled snake eyes. It happens.
    All three guys you mention were familiar with the architecture of a successful program, and all were old hands at recruiting Georgia.

To be honest, Stowers, Sewak, and Hatcher were all decent hires. Each one of them was undermined by a huge structural deficiency that was largely out of his control.

Hatcher was the only true "bust" in that group, and he inherited a mess.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I forgot about that. Do we have the money to out do them... He can't be getting that much right now. That's too bad, I think he'll do really well there.
    I liked Houston and even Bohannon over Chadwell, but now both Houston and Chadwell are probably out of play.

Bohannon has to show something this season to be a real contender.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown