SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: "We won the second half..."

1. Default Re: "We won the second half..."

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    And what will he say after the Indiana Game.

hmm, we won the 10th possession of the game.
    or. We won the punting contest. We had 10 punts to their 1 punt. 10 to 1 win.
    We won the last 5 minutes of the game. We sure outplayed their scout team that they put in then.
    Or maybe he will spent all that time in a corner of the dressing room crying and the media will just give up on waiting for him to show.
    He will say our band won.

And he will speak more stupid stuff to make him seem to the uninformed like someone of at least some minor level of competence.

And maybe he could wear some ever larger coach's association pin. I'd suggest a full chest billboard. Maybe we will get lucky, and whatever-in-hell organization will take him off our hands.

Default Re: "We won the second half..."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
    I am getting a little old and don't remember as well as I did, but I seem to remember better than a lot of younger people I know...

eaglewraith, tell me when Fritz ran the flexbone?

Oh BTW for those who don't know or have forgotten, the home of the "Flexbone" is Ga. Southern where it was created in the 1980s primarily by Paul Johnson!!

I don't understand why some GS fans seem to have such negative feelings about an offense that is identified with Ga. Southern and brought us great national recognition plus SIX I-AA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - the most ever by a I-AA/FCS School...

I do recognize everyone is entitled to his opinion even if I disagree with it...

Just to be clear, I wish we would use both a shotgun option offense and a flexbone option offense with the QB under center...
    You must not have paid attention to the constant debate in the spring when people were scared of the shotgun. (let's not talk about the no tackling in practice)

One Matt Breida run on the second drive of the NC State game eliminated that.

I don't have a hatred of the flexbone. I actually love it. But I do recognize that it limits what we'll ultimately be able to attract in terms of personnel, especially if we neglect developing the passing game as became the case under Monken especially.

I have a hatred of the insistence that it is the ONLY WAY to win, because that's obviously not true. The people who insist that also fail to recognize the areas where it does have weaknesses, and that varying our attack can have benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You must not have paid attention to the constant debate in the spring when people were scared of the shotgun. (let's not talk about the no tackling in practice)

One Matt Breida run on the second drive of the NC State game eliminated that.

I don't have a hatred of the flexbone. I actually love it. But I do recognize that it limits what we'll ultimately be able to attract in terms of personnel, especially if we neglect developing the passing game as became the case under Monken especially.

I have a hatred of the insistence that it is the ONLY WAY to win, because that's obviously not true. The people who insist that also fail to recognize the areas where it does have weaknesses, and that varying our attack can have benefits.
    I agree with you almost totally. Sidetracking the argument, though, I think it's pretty obvious that the passing attack under Monken was limited by personnel. Our WR corps was very weak when Jaybo was here, and Jerick McKinnon is the worst passer in the history of college football.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
    I am getting a little old and don't remember as well as I did, but I seem to remember better than a lot of younger people I know...

eaglewraith, tell me when Fritz ran the flexbone?

Oh BTW for those who don't know or have forgotten, the home of the "Flexbone" is Ga. Southern where it was created in the 1980s primarily by Paul Johnson!!

I don't understand why some GS fans seem to have such negative feelings about an offense that is identified with Ga. Southern and brought us great national recognition plus SIX I-AA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - the most ever by a I-AA/FCS School...

I do recognize everyone is entitled to his opinion even if I disagree with it...

Just to be clear, I wish we would use both a shotgun option offense and a flexbone option offense with the QB under center...

Tis just my opinion, but I'm not sure anyone on here has "negative" feelings about the flex. I personally love to watch it when it is executed well. I just don't feel that it is the ONLY offense that we can ever run. I think it limits the number of quality of prospective head coaches we have and potentially waters down the pool of candidates each time one is hired or fired. Once anyone is hired or fired, the number dwindles by one. There are some on here that think anything other the flex TO is blasphemy and is the work of Da Devil. And each time we have a bad hire, they come out of the woodwork to tell us they told us so.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

5. Default Re: "We won the second half..."

Again, just let me remind everyone that 4 out 5 of our offensive coaches have a strong flex coaching background. Tired of hearing that our team is incapable of adjusting to flex under center. We haven't even tried yet. It's a matter of speed , continuity and repetition. It's not a radical change because we did some reps in the spring. If the coaches feel confident running it than the players will adapt and feed off the scheme. Our current offensive production is extremely unreliable. Flex might be a surprise, not necessarily save the season but bring some respectability.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Again, just let me remind everyone that 4 out 5 of our offensive coaches have a strong flex coaching background. Tired of hearing that our team is incapable of adjusting to flex under center. We haven't even it tried yet. It's a matter of speed , continuity and repetition. It's not a radical change because we did some reps in the spring. If the coaches feel confident running it than the players will adapt and feed off the scheme. Our current offensive production is extremely unreliable. Flex might be a surprise, not necessarily save the season but bring some respectability.
    I don't think anyone said "incapable". Cook said "better suited for" or something similar to that. That may change with two weeks to prepare without a game in the middle. Who knows? But again, I don't think the offense we have is broken. Like anything, it just needs much better execution.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

7. Default Re: "We won the second half..."

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Like anything, it just needs much better execution.
    Perhaps, but how many bad games that are obvious failures before the better execution materializes? The flex may or may not improve our success. But if established early in the season, it might produce a positive outcome. At least run some flex during a game, monitor it's effectiveness and proceed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Perhaps, but how many bad games that are obvious failures before the better execution materializes? The flex may or may not improve our success. But if established early in the season, it might produce a positive outcome. At least run some flex during a game, monitor it's effectiveness and proceed from there.
    But every rep in the flex is one more rep not in the gun. If execution is the problem, the more reps we have the better. Both take reps and both take time to master. Just because we ran it a few times in the spring doesn't mean that the players know how to run it effectively. And like any offense, if not executed well, it is very easy to stop. We won't "get better" at either one bouncing back and forth with no identity. We have given this offense a grand total of two games (one against a MUCH better team). That is not enough of a sample size for me to say we should scrap it and try something else. (I'm not saying that you said to scrap it, but it's too early to try anything new)
    Last edited by KJ Eagle; 14th September 2017 at 04:04 PM.

9. Default Re: "We won the second half..."

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    We have given this offense a grand total of two games (one against a MUCH better team). That is not enough of a sample size for me to say we should scrap it and try something else.
    Okay, guess we'll let our coaches figure it out. But sure hope they do better than 2016 and the first two games. If not then something else might be appropriate. But if changes are necessary the longer we delay the more difficult it will become. Tired of bickering and Georgia Southern losing.

I went back and watched the 2nd half of the FL game from 2013. Our OL was a cut-blocking machine, and when the cuts weren't obvious, they were just firing off the ball into the DL's faces and owning the LOS. I was kinda hoping some of C. Brent Davis had rubbed off on Bodine...no reason for it not too especially with what Army runs...as you'd think we have the talent for it. Another good one to watch is the 2012 quarterfinal against ODU...our OL was a nightmare for pouty-faced, Mr. Entitled Bobby Wilder.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology