Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crickets...

Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    Hurricane Irma notwithstanding, we're really in the middle of a s&*t-storm with regards to the football program.

You have an inexperienced HC in year two with his second group of position coaches and assistants, trying to work a scheme with a handful or remaining players recruited from two coaches back and a bunch of other players recruited by the previous coach, some of which are vaguely familiar with whatever scheme we're trying to run this week. And on top of that, the clamor from NEARLY EVERYONE yelling "YOU S&*K!!! YOU S&*K!!!YOU S&*K!!! has gotten so uproarious it's probably impossible for TS to think let alone act on some level of intuition. And to be fair to that argument, I'd even be happy with a knee-jerk reaction right about know...he has about a 50/50 chance in guessing right. But, what you're seeing on the field is exactly what you get with all the changes that have happened to the program over the past three years. Should we have kept Fritz? You bet. Did we really offer him a matching package? Some believe that to be true...but for now that's speculation because the paper document doesn't exist or at least hasn't been made public. Is it TK's fault Fritz left? Hard to say unless you were in the room with those two, but TK has done a lot of good things for the university since he's been here, and I'd be stupid to believe that deep down he has some reason to ruin the football program.

And if any of you think the players aren't looking on TFL, or that they haven't sprung the $49 for TEN you're deluding yourselves. They're not stupid, they aren't broke, and they probably think that we don't give a s*&t so why should they. As for hiring coaches with impressive resumes that are able to run the beloved TO, they are very, very far and few between, and almost all of them come from below (DII, DIII, and HS). And until we have some additional big-money donors, or the rest of you teachers stop contributing to your 401-K and start really ponying up to the AF, then what we have is what we're going to get. I'm almost sick and tired of hearing about how good we were back 'then' on no budget at all. It isn't back then, it's now, and the arena we're playing in has a pretty steep admission. Building an argument for trying to get by on the cheap today because we did it 10 years ago is a sure-fire way to a ton of disappointment. But let's go ahead and continue the talk about firing the coach and the assistants after game two of their 2nd season...that'll show the team what kind of 'team players' we are.
    MORE FREAKING EXCUSES.
    CLASS OF '92
    B.S. Criminal Justice

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I definitely disagree, the difference between 6-6 and 9-3 is a possible conference championship (and possibly of an additional home game hosting said championship).
    We would love 9-3 and a conference championship but I won't be convinced that what we expect of our coaches is anywhere near as demanding as it once was. Many have said fritz was great yet he was nothing special, he was handed a goldmine and beat the teams he was suppose to beat for the most part but no big wins at all and provided 2 of the worst losses in GS history (west VA and ga state). Win 6 to 10 games a year and make a bowl which should not be that hard in the sunbelt and the talent in ga and that coach won't be fired by GS nor will he be lured away. Fritz hated tk and was looking hard after his 1st year.
    Last edited by gasouthern01; 11th September 2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Tk

3. Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    So I feel our expectations are far less than they once we're and I don't see why we can't keep average coaches. If summers would win 6-9 games a year we would all be ok with that bc unless we are in discussions for the access bowl, there isn't a big difference in 6-6 to 9-3...only bragging rites.
    Wow. Prime example of deteriorating expectations. I guess that's part of the problem. To many comfortable with substandard mediocre performance. Never was or will be Georgia Southern's goal. We'll never be average or complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Wow. Prime example of deteriorating expectations. I guess that's part of the problem. To many comfortable with substandard mediocre performance. Never was or will be Georgia Southern's goal. We'll never be average or complacent.
    Old Georgia Southern is gone. And it's sad. Mediocrity is accepted now. Everybody calls you a bad fan if you have any kind of high expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    Old Georgia Southern is gone. And it's sad. Mediocrity is accepted now. Everybody calls you a bad fan if you have any kind of high expectations.
    We had a 5-7 season last year and the fan base was as mad as fire. I don't see what you are basing this on at all.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

6. Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    Are you on TK' s or CTS Christmas list? Or just emotionally damaged due to CTS poor performance?

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    But Tyson Summers is a nice, christian, family man. That's all that matters...
    I don't get why TS haters keep bringing up this tired argument. Outside of BoosterEyes, I don't think anyone else brings up him being a good man as a reason to keep him as coach. From what I recall nobody else that mentioned TS being a good man did so to defend him as coach. They did it to counter people like cliff, that insinuate he's a bad coach bc he's a good Christian family man. I, and others, have defended shots at his character, like what you took bc, they're unnecessary and irrelevant to how bad of a coach he is. Does he deserve to be fired? Absolutely, but it has nothing to do with his character. He's just a bad coach. Leave it at that.
    Last edited by GSUEagle12; 11th September 2017 at 05:09 PM.

I just wonder what the App State message boards looked like halfway through the 2014 season. They fired legendary coach Jerry Moore and replaced him with an App guy who was inexperienced as a head coach in Scott Satterfield. In his first season (2013), he managed to take a FCS playoff team and lead them to a 4-8 record, including a home loss to NC A&T. Maybe you could blame part of that on him, maybe part of that on his freshman QB Taylor Lamb. The next season (2014) as an FBS transitional team, they started the season 1-5, losing at home to FCS Liberty with their only win coming to FCS non-scholarship Campbell before finding the "magic" and rattling off 6 straight wins to finish the season 7-5.
    Maybe some on that board were wanting to fire him after 2013, maybe more after a 34-14 delousing in Paulson Stadium in 2014. I bet they are glad they held on to him now, and glad he had enough time to figure it out.
    Can Coach Tyson Summers "figure it out" here? I don't know. I'll leave that to the prognosticators to prognosticate upon. Time will surely tell. For what it's worth, I don't know if he can, and I'm certainly not happy with the present state of affairs, but in my opinion, I don't know how the level of vitriol from the fans that has been displayed will help in any way. He'll be here until his contract runs out for better or for worse, and I'd much rather see him succeed because that means that the Eagles will succeed. Sometimes I wonder if some people would rather be right about their assumptions that he can't coach even though that means that the Eagles would fail in that process.
    Anyway, if you're going to Indiana next weekend, the game was finally announced today as a 3:30pm kickoff on the Big Ten Network. Maybe, I'll see you there.
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

9. Default Re: Crickets...

There's a huge difference there. Satterfield had been there forever and knew the program inside and out. Continuity had a positive impact for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBleedsBlue View Post
    I just wonder what the App State message boards looked like halfway through the 2014 season. They fired legendary coach Jerry Moore and replaced him with an App guy who was inexperienced as a head coach in Scott Satterfield. In his first season (2013), he managed to take a FCS playoff team and lead them to a 4-8 record, including a home loss to NC A&T. Maybe you could blame part of that on him, maybe part of that on his freshman QB Taylor Lamb. The next season (2014) as an FBS transitional team, they started the season 1-5, losing at home to FCS Liberty with their only win coming to FCS non-scholarship Campbell before finding the "magic" and rattling off 6 straight wins to finish the season 7-5.
    Maybe some on that board were wanting to fire him after 2013, maybe more after a 34-14 delousing in Paulson Stadium in 2014. I bet they are glad they held on to him now, and glad he had enough time to figure it out.
    Can Coach Tyson Summers "figure it out" here? I don't know. I'll leave that to the prognosticators to prognosticate upon. Time will surely tell. For what it's worth, I don't know if he can, and I'm certainly not happy with the present state of affairs, but in my opinion, I don't know how the level of vitriol from the fans that has been displayed will help in any way. He'll be here until his contract runs out for better or for worse, and I'd much rather see him succeed because that means that the Eagles will succeed. Sometimes I wonder if some people would rather be right about their assumptions that he can't coach even though that means that the Eagles would fail in that process.
    Anyway, if you're going to Indiana next weekend, the game was finally announced today as a 3:30pm kickoff on the Big Ten Network. Maybe, I'll see you there.
    100% agreement. There's just no benefit in acting like babies and making decisions at this point.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown