SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crickets...

1. Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Man, when did I last hear that type of thinking before. 2016?
    You probably did hear that last year. Because it was the right decision. I agreed with the decision to keep him for 2017.

I don't believe a school like GS can afford to fire a coach after just one season particularly a first time head coach, unless there was a bigger problem than wins/losses. If we fired CTS after last season, then we would only attract a coach who was desperate to becoming a HC. No one else would touch it. Why would a coach take a job, uproot his family, just to risk having to do it again a year later? The only ones I can think who would do that would be coaches so very young or desperate. We would not want either of those. There was also the money situation. It is easier to justify paying the buyout for one season versus two seasons. I know the buyout would be offset by any salary he receives if he takes another position after being fired, but what if he sat out a year and we were on the hook for the full amount?

CTS said the right things after last season and went after the right kind of OC (I am pretty sure most people on this board were pleased with hiring Cook). The OC has had two games with a freshman QB. Give it time.

Do I like where we are? Of course not. Am I frustrated? Yes I am. However, I am stepping away from the cliff and trying not to over react and remain rational. If it is a failure at the end of this season, then we would have given CTS a fair chance (this is important when looking at the long term implications for our program and not just the short term) before moving on to someone else. Firing CTS mid-season would not be in the spirit of "do right" either for him or the GS football program.
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

2. Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    I made the short drive to Birmingham Saturday and the much longer horrible drive home afterwards. I made a point of not posting any message board comments until I had a chance to purge the emotion. I have not been 100% successful there, but this is about as close to non-emotional I will get (fan comes from the word fanatic right?).

I probably can be accused of being a CTS defender since I firmly believe you have to give a young first time head coach a couple of years to learn the job. I still do believe it.
    This isn't an apprenticeship program. He's supposed to be able to convince people he can do the job from day one, not learn as he goes. And if this is what he has learned, he needs a new textbook. Paul Johnson hadn't been a head coach before taking over Georgia Southern (got the job at 39 1/2). What were his first two years like? This also was Jeff Monken's first collegiate head coaching job. His first two years? 21-8.

3. Default Re: Crickets...

I guess Georgia Southern is reduced to hiring coaches regardless of strength of resume. We provide On The Job Training (OJT) at our expense. No HC experience required. Submit complete or incomplete resume on line or e-mail to Mr. TK currently uncertain AD at Georgia Southern. Please no phone calls. Might be out to lunch.

Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    You probably did hear that last year. Because it was the right decision. I agreed with the decision to keep him for 2017.

I don't believe a school like GS can afford to fire a coach after just one season particularly a first time head coach, unless there was a bigger problem than wins/losses. If we fired CTS after last season, then we would only attract a coach who was desperate to becoming a HC. No one else would touch it. Why would a coach take a job, uproot his family, just to risk having to do it again a year later? The only ones I can think who would do that would be coaches so very young or desperate. We would not want either of those. There was also the money situation. It is easier to justify paying the buyout for one season versus two seasons. I know the buyout would be offset by any salary he receives if he takes another position after being fired, but what if he sat out a year and we were on the hook for the full amount?

CTS said the right things after last season and went after the right kind of OC (I am pretty sure most people on this board were pleased with hiring Cook). The OC has had two games with a freshman QB. Give it time.

Do I like where we are? Of course not. Am I frustrated? Yes I am. However, I am stepping away from the cliff and trying not to over react and remain rational. If it is a failure at the end of this season, then we would have given CTS a fair chance (this is important when looking at the long term implications for our program and not just the short term) before moving on to someone else. Firing CTS mid-season would not be in the spirit of "do right" either for him or the GS football program.
    Because we want to attract the kind of HC who doesn't care that others have failed. He "knows" he'll succeed. TS is the kind of HC who will not apply to such a high pressure job. The reward for success at GS can be seen easily at Ga Tech, Army, and Tulane. The consequences of failure can be seen at a JC in Mississippi (Stowers), the Oline at Ga Tech (Sewak), Defensive Assistant at Oklahoma State (BVG), and the only guy still a HC on the sidelines of Samford (Hatcher).

2-3 years is max for HC here because he's either going to get an upgrade offer or he's going to be run out on a rail.
    JW "Cliff" Williams

First GSC game 9/1/1984
    Recruiting Class 1987
    BS 1998
    M.Ed. 2015
    Statesboro. GA

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    I guess Georgia Southern is reduced to hiring coaches regardless of strength of resume. We provide On The Job Training (OJT) at our expense. No HC experience required. Submit complete or incomplete resume on line or e-mail to Mr. TK currently uncertain AD at Georgia Southern. Please no phone calls. Might be out to lunch.
    Out to lunch, well thats very true.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    Because we want to attract the kind of HC who doesn't care that others have failed. He "knows" he'll succeed. TS is the kind of HC who will not apply to such a high pressure job. The reward for success at GS can be seen easily at Ga Tech, Army, and Tulane. The consequences of failure can be seen at a JC in Mississippi (Stowers), the Oline at Ga Tech (Sewak), Defensive Assistant at Oklahoma State (BVG), and the only guy still a HC on the sidelines of Samford (Hatcher).

2-3 years is max for HC here because he's either going to get an upgrade offer or he's going to be run out on a rail.
    I agree but not with the last sentence. When we were in fcs we had insane expectations, play for a championship each year. Now, just make a bowl. Every once in a while if everything goes right we might get ranked and even have a shot at the access bowl but for the most part stay competitive and make a bowl. So I feel our expectations are far less than they once we're and I don't see why we can't keep average coaches. If summers would win 6-9 games a year we would all be ok with that bc unless we are in discussions for the access bowl, there isn't a big difference in 6-6 to 9-3...only bragging rites.

Hurricane Irma notwithstanding, we're really in the middle of a s&*t-storm with regards to the football program.

You have an inexperienced HC in year two with his second group of position coaches and assistants, trying to work a scheme with a handful or remaining players recruited from two coaches back and a bunch of other players recruited by the previous coach, some of which are vaguely familiar with whatever scheme we're trying to run this week. And on top of that, the clamor from NEARLY EVERYONE yelling "YOU S&*K!!! YOU S&*K!!!YOU S&*K!!! has gotten so uproarious it's probably impossible for TS to think let alone act on some level of intuition. And to be fair to that argument, I'd even be happy with a knee-jerk reaction right about know...he has about a 50/50 chance in guessing right. But, what you're seeing on the field is exactly what you get with all the changes that have happened to the program over the past three years. Should we have kept Fritz? You bet. Did we really offer him a matching package? Some believe that to be true...but for now that's speculation because the paper document doesn't exist or at least hasn't been made public. Is it TK's fault Fritz left? Hard to say unless you were in the room with those two, but TK has done a lot of good things for the university since he's been here, and I'd be stupid to believe that deep down he has some reason to ruin the football program.

And if any of you think the players aren't looking on TFL, or that they haven't sprung the $49 for TEN you're deluding yourselves. They're not stupid, they aren't broke, and they probably think that we don't give a s*&t so why should they. As for hiring coaches with impressive resumes that are able to run the beloved TO, they are very, very far and few between, and almost all of them come from below (DII, DIII, and HS). And until we have some additional big-money donors, or the rest of you teachers stop contributing to your 401-K and start really ponying up to the AF, then what we have is what we're going to get. I'm almost sick and tired of hearing about how good we were back 'then' on no budget at all. It isn't back then, it's now, and the arena we're playing in has a pretty steep admission. Building an argument for trying to get by on the cheap today because we did it 10 years ago is a sure-fire way to a ton of disappointment. But let's go ahead and continue the talk about firing the coach and the assistants after game two of their 2nd season...that'll show the team what kind of 'team players' we are.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

8. Default Re: Crickets...

To me there is a big difference. There is such a thing as intangible value. The higher the win count, the better quality of coaches you can attract. Well, I can't prove it that right now...

9. Default Re: Crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I agree but not with the last sentence. When we were in fcs we had insane expectations, play for a championship each year. Now, just make a bowl. Every once in a while if everything goes right we might get ranked and even have a shot at the access bowl but for the most part stay competitive and make a bowl. So I feel our expectations are far less than they once we're and I don't see why we can't keep average coaches. If summers would win 6-9 games a year we would all be ok with that bc unless we are in discussions for the access bowl, there isn't a big difference in 6-6 to 9-3...only bragging rites.
    I definitely disagree, we have an FBS conference championship trophy from the last time we went 9-3, I doubt we could say that after going 6-6.

I'm going to say this and let it rest. You have to be a freaking idiot to inherit a team full of seniors (2016) with the best rushing offenses in the country and not win 6 games. Coach Summers has talent, he does not know what to do with it. The excuse of, hes a young coach is bullcrap. A good head coach knows how to hire a coach who can run a system. In our case, the Triple Option. TO hire two coaches who had no experience in running this systems was a bi mistake. This is when I knew Coach Summers did not know what the hell he was doing. IF I were a head coach and I wanted to run the TO, there are several colleges I'm looking to fill my offensive staff (Tulane, Army, Navy and Air Force). This crap is not Rocket Science. The only thing he had to do was maintain the current system. He was given a Mustang 5.0 and he has turned it into a half working Yugo. ANd you want me to feel sorry for him.
    CLASS OF '92
    B.S. Criminal Justice