Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Letter to TK and TS. Erk's Spirit is gone....

Default Re: My Letter to TK and TS. Erk's Spirit is gone....

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I keep hearing "we don't have the budget and can't afford to pay a coach." That's BS. This year's budget is just shy of $32 million and we have the Armstrong merger which will generate another $2-3 million a year in student fees. Our budget is near the top of the Belt.
    We just cant risk paying a coach 1M out of the gate and have to let them prove it first but that comes with the risk others noticing as well. It is just dumb to pay a guy much more than 500K off the bat when they were just making 300K tops in the FCS or at a coordinator position. Give them earned raises and hope nobody out bids but the last thing you want is to get stuck paying a CTS more than we already are for the next year or for the buy out.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

2. Default Re: My Letter to TK and TS. Erk's Spirit is gone....

Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
    The problem with the move to FBS is not that we can't have a good year occasionally, but that we simply can't keep a coach for very long after he has 1 or 2 good seasons. We simply don't have the budget to keep a good coach (like 120 other schools can out-pay us).

But, that same problem will exist in FCS as has already been proven. The only solution is to run the triple option under center - and I'm being serious. Why? Just look at GT. Paul Johnson has been very successful there and has had teams as good as Tennessee (better really), Auburn, Georgia, and other SEC teams - with FAR less talent. So, why wouldn't Ole Miss, Kentucky, Miss St, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Missouri, or USC-e give CPJ a chance? Because they don't think his offense is very cool and their fans think it is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If Paul Johnson had any SEC team's talent (except Vandy), he would compete for NCs every year. Still, no one else will even consider hiring him. I doubt he even got a call from a power 5 team after GT's phenomenal 2014 season.

As another example, look at Ivin Jasper. Guy is the OC of one of the most prominent offenses over the last 8 or 10 years - with FAR less talent than 3/4th of FBS schools. He couldn't even get a job here, let alone any other FBS school. If Navy ran a spread option offense, Ivin Jasper would have been a HC years ago.

And as further evidence, not one of CPJ's assistants have been offered a HC job. Plain and simple, if you want to keep a coach, hire a 3O coach. Other teams just DON'T want them.

Given our history, we should have enough sense to know you can win with the 3O. In fact, you can win with any offense. It's about coaching and recruiting - not the offense you run. So, if no one else wants a 3O coach, that's what we should hire. The only schools that will possibly take him from us are the service academies.
    I do not think I am following your logic... are you saying that GS should only hire Flex Triple Option HC's (like Johnson & Monken) because they will not leave us?

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    I give to the fund every year and hold tickets in 107. Only 4 home games this year for that investment is not a good return.

I was against the FBS move, but I got on the train.

Most of you just can't handle that we (like lots of others) are just whoring ourselves out for the $$$ with the FBS thing.

Playing on Tue/Wed/Thurs anywhere anytime for the right price.

Getting a piece of the bowl pie, etc.

GS is my team, but as a local resident "townie" that was here at the beginning of it all, the FCS level was more enjoyable for me.

OK.......now unleash the hounds!
    I can't speak to if you've been bashed for saying you like FCS more, and that's certainly your right. I've always noticed the bashing in cases like these where the poster states as a fact the move a mistake or that we can't compete. Then we pounce. But when someone, like you just did, reasonably states they preferred FCS, there's really nothing to do other than agree to disagree. I wasn't around as long as you so I've never seen a Championship run, only the most recent semi runs. While I did enjoy FCS and the playoffs I prefer FBS. I actually was initially against the move and wanted to stay FCS, but after the first two seasons I'm glad we made the move. Now if we can just hire that next good head coach we can all enjoy GS football again.

This letter belongs in TK's circular file.

That oughta show 'em

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle12 View Post
    I can't speak to if you've been bashed for saying you like FCS more, and that's certainly your right. I've always noticed the bashing in cases like these where the poster states as a fact the move a mistake or that we can't compete. Then we pounce. But when someone, like you just did, reasonably states they preferred FCS, there's really nothing to do other than agree to disagree. I wasn't around as long as you so I've never seen a Championship run, only the most recent semi runs. While I did enjoy FCS and the playoffs I prefer FBS. I actually was initially against the move and wanted to stay FCS, but after the first two seasons I'm glad we made the move. Now if we can just hire that next good head coach we can all enjoy GS football again.
    I was against it as well. Voted against it my freshman year and I complained about it for the whole year. Now I think I was an idiot.

7. Default Re: My Letter to TK and TS. Erk's Spirit is gone....

We made a bad hire. Be concerned about that. Going FBS was not the issue.

We have a coach who's in over his head and doesn't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gsueaglefan View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I never do this. I mean what is the point. What say do I have? My tiny donations that I used to give before we moved to FBS.

I hated the move to FBS....I pulled my donations and association when we pulled that ridiculous move. So here we are, EXACTLY where we deserve to be for making that move.

You have ruined everything that Erk, Dale and Bucky built. The fun and excitment that it TOOK US YEARS to build has been DESTROYED in 2 years. I am embaressed to be an Eagle fan today, I am disgusted when I think about all the origninal donors (families and friends who BUILT THIS). I am saddened for the legacy left by Erk Russell, Paul Johnson, Dale Lick, Nick Henry, Bucky Wagner...the many families of donors who built this program from nothing, including mine. I am literally sick.

Please do us all a favor and leave Statesboro. Hopefully we can find that energy that ERK left us. We are Southern...you are not...we care and will come back stronger. However, we need you to go so that we can begin the cleanup process.

Signed a very SAD and DISAPPOINTED alumni!!

I understand the frustration. I think we're all frustrated but I will continue to support this team and the university both as a fan and financially. I cannot and will not be a bandwagon fan. This is my team and I'll support all of them as long as they're Eagles.

These types of posts/letters are what make me sick. I'm embarrassed that an Eagle fan would put pen to paper and write something like this. "Leave Statesboro".....who the h*** are you to make a statement like that on behalf of a fan base???? Don't ever speak on my behalf.

Erk wanted us to be FBS...... and he'd want all of us to give our absolute support to this team and staff.

Runts try harder right? We've got one for a HC and he's been knocked on his backside. You don't think losing keeps him up at night? I will not turn my back on this team or staff just as I wouldn't to my friends or family. Am I happy??? No. But I won't spit hate and vitriol at our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Nothing wrong was done by moving to FBS.

The wrong move was hiring the coach that was chosen.

It's really simple, actually.
    +1000000000000.

10. Default Re: My Letter to TK and TS. Erk's Spirit is gone....

How do you think we would have done with 20 less scholarship players Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by gsueaglefan View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I never do this. I mean what is the point. What say do I have? My tiny donations that I used to give before we moved to FBS.

I hated the move to FBS....I pulled my donations and association when we pulled that ridiculous move. So here we are, EXACTLY where we deserve to be for making that move.

You have ruined everything that Erk, Dale and Bucky built. The fun and excitment that it TOOK US YEARS to build has been DESTROYED in 2 years. I am embaressed to be an Eagle fan today, I am disgusted when I think about all the origninal donors (families and friends who BUILT THIS). I am saddened for the legacy left by Erk Russell, Paul Johnson, Dale Lick, Nick Henry, Bucky Wagner...the many families of donors who built this program from nothing, including mine. I am literally sick.

Please do us all a favor and leave Statesboro. Hopefully we can find that energy that ERK left us. We are Southern...you are not...we care and will come back stronger. However, we need you to go so that we can begin the cleanup process.

Signed a very SAD and DISAPPOINTED alumni!!