Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-snap motion

Default Re: Pre-snap motion

If Werts plays or does not get pulled by the end of the IU game it is probably a good sign CTS has been assured he is not going anywhere before the end of the year. If not he would have given another QB a shot by now especially by the second half of the UNH game.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Cook hasn't blamed inherited players for our performance. He's used inherited players as a justification for why we've worked exclusively out of the gun. Those aren't the same things.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Absolutely not. Burning his redshirt doesn't help this staff or the next. At this point we might as well go ahead and help out the next staff and have Kennedy come down with turf toe this week as well.
    If Frazier is actually good enough to start next year over Werts, then there's no point in red-shirting him. Leave an experienced team in place for whatever spread option attack we'll be running in 2018.

To be clear, though, I was actually arguing that Werts is our guy and that we need to stick with him. If he's making bad reads, simplify things like we did in the second half against UNH. We put up around 200 yards of offense in that half, mostly by letting Werts run a more basic spread attack.

At least I think that's what we did; I doubt we'll be able to double-check against Klak's quick cut anytime soon.
    The Green Bastard from parts unknown

4. Default Re: Pre-snap motion

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

To be clear, though, I was actually arguing that Werts is our guy and that we need to stick with him.
    CTS exact sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    If Frazier is actually good enough to start next year over Werts, then there's no point in red-shirting him. Leave an experienced team in place for whatever spread option attack we'll be running in 2018.

To be clear, though, I was actually arguing that Werts is our guy and that we need to stick with him. If he's making bad reads, simplify things like we did in the second half against UNH. We put up around 200 yards of offense in that half, mostly by letting Werts run a more basic spread attack.

At least I think that's what we did; I doubt we'll be able to double-check against Klak's quick cut anytime soon.
    I'm starting to convince myself we're not making reads at all.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I think you're right. Dives are being called, not read. Not sure about pitches, but Werts sure was apprehensive if he has an option there.

I think the offense is being extremely dumbed down. I think a lot of it has to do with Wertz being unsettled back there, but let's face it we aren't very good up front, we aren't fooling anybody, and we seem very predictable and stagnate before the snap. I don't think window dressing will help the fundamental problems we face as an offense. We have to do a better job of running the football in A&B gaps. Once we get that down all the motions and window dressing becomes effective. But we got major fundament issues on Offense.
    Go Eagles!!

8. Default Re: Pre-snap motion

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    I think you're right. Dives are being called, not read. Not sure about pitches, but Werts sure was apprehensive if he has an option there.
    Some of the dives are read and some aren't. You can usually tell by what the offensive line is doing.

As for the pitch...Werts has botched plenty of them that were potential big plays. The speed option is our best play right now (but Werts panics and doesn't read the play out half of the time).

We need to probably do away with the Tackle Loop/Arc block scheme. It appears to be a double option where we are trying to read the defensive end off the weak side and arc blocking with our tackle (Klak broke this play down last week). We have run the play like 10-12 times between Auburn and UNH and it has been successful maybe twice. I think it's one of those plays that is good in theory, but we probably have better ways to attack the perimeter. The rocket toss out of the flexbone would be helpful in situations like this...The ability to bounce in and out of flexbone and gun is what I THOUGHT we would do when we hired Cook. So fare we've been a remedial high school option offense. I mean the stuff we're running is decent on paper...but we're not executing it well at all...and we're not even doing complex ****.

However, I understand when your oline is basically playing like **** and your QB is running around in a panic for 60 minutes.

Werts is not playing very well, but he is a freshman running the option he is going to make mistakes. The problem is you can't read a guy when there are three unblocked guys waiting on the QB. I chalked up some of that against Auburn to them selling out against the run and being freak athletes, but against UNH the same thing happened. I am convinced the OL doesn't know who to block on every play, or if they do know who to block they are not able to get to them. I mentioned this in another thread, but multiple times against Auburn and a few times against UNH I saw us double team a backside LB and not block two play-side defensive linemen. One of those guys is a read player, but the other one is going to make the tackle a lot.
    I think we need to show more motion and at least make the defense think a little bit. But we didn't run much motion last year and we are back to not running much this year, it is a coaching decision to not run much motion and I do not understand that this or last year. It is like going to play golf but leaving your 4, 6, and 8 iron out of the bag, you can do it, but it is much harder to play that way.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I'm not an expert but that's what it looks like to me when I watch us play this year. Has Werts pulled it from the belly of his dive back at all? Looks like straight up predetermined hand offs which we aren't built to do and be successful. I'd be curious to know the inner-workings of the program to see where the hangups are. Is it a player comprehension/execution issue? Is it a coach properly communicating/teaching issue? Do we chalk it up to being a really young team? Is it a strength/conditioning issue? Did last year's coaching offensively set us back that much? Is the terminology and [attempted/practiced] scheme that different than what Fritz was doing two years ago?
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11